When is the optimal time to delete and re-start a training plan?

I am following a low volume plan that I started for the winter. I had scheduled this plan to run from roughly October through end of March, where I hope to be able to get outside. At this point I tend to ride unstructured outside and sprinkle in some Train Now rides.

I was told that in my situation it is best to delete my plan and schedule a full year training plan…even if I stop following it when I start riding outside in the spring. I guess this is optimal vs. setting some sort of taper or peak fitness for an arbitrary spring date. Does this make sense?

Also…given I am in the middle of a plan, when should I delete and re-start? I happen to be at the start of one week of endurance rides, followed by an FTP test. Should I complete the endurance week then delete and re-set, or just scrap the endurance week and do it now? Or am I overthinking!

Also…has anyone used annotations in the plan to factor in a rest week or two? ie. for something like a vacation? How has this worked?

Thanks!

I would do your endurance/recovery week as currently scheduled, then replan from the following week. As presumably if you have a week of z2 rides in the diary then you’ve just done a block of work so you need that easier week before starting the next block.

2 Likes

Who to.d you this? Seems like odd advice to me, personally.

Trainer road support

Are you targeting as specific event on a specific date or are you just training to get fitter? (However you care to quantify the latter)

Just training to get fitter.

1 Like