What's happened to Nate

Too many people too stressed…concern removed

1 Like

Insta says he was active 5hrs ago. Let the man have some time with his family during a major US holiday weekend.

5 Likes

Good grief here we go, jumping down my throat at a simple question. I’m in the UK and the fact that it’s your pre Christmas is hardly featuring on my radar to be fair.

He’s usually very active and puts up a ride nearly every day and with his recent injury I was showing some concern.

Chill out a bit.

9 Likes

chill

1 Like

You can’t always read tone in a post. I didn’t read it as the poster having a go at you.

2 Likes

You could also take it from the original posters pov as simply wishing Nate positive vibes.

1 Like

And I did

2 Likes

Hi @ValeCyclist.
That was definitely not how I meant it to come across. I wasn’t trying to have a go at you for showing concern. Sorry about that.
His wife’s probably banned him from working. That’s all I was getting at.

I’m not from the US. I have family members who are and they take Thanksgiving very seriously over there.
Please don’t edit your original post on my behalf. I honestly thought I was helping to answer your question.

Peace out.

7 Likes

I live in Scotland and we don’t even know what thanksgiving is or even what a turkey is. We eat Haggis at Christmas time :wink:

15 Likes

Are those the ones with the shorter left legs or the shorter right legs? I can never catch the latter as it means my post-op right leg is on the uphill side when chasing the little buggers! :wink:

3 Likes

I’m alive!! I was feeling pretty tired (probably from my concussion) so I’ve been chillin.

35 Likes

Nate, When I first started MTBing I, like you, also crashed all the time. I believe it’s because I started MTBing later in life, mid 40’s, and had good road fitness. My fitness was writing checks my skills couldn’t cash. Every time I’d come home from a ride my wife would ask me where I was bleeding from this time. You’ll will eventually get there but it takes saddle time on the MTB and you have to learn to session different features by starting slow and work on slowly increasing speed. All these crashes keep setting you back. Take it slow but spend time on the MTB. Being super smooth and building skills is probably worth 40-50 watts of FTP at your FTP level.

3 Likes

Yah. I also think I should stop trying to ride “gnarlier” stuff, and just flow better on XC type stuff that’s not super difficult for me anymore.

I really have no desire to ride gnarly enduro type stuff and I should just avoid rides that have that.

That and get better helmet coverage! Fox Drop Frame Pro is coming and I have high hops for that helmet.

8 Likes

I think one characteristic of your approach to learning MTB is that you’ve actively been pushing your boundaries at a fast pace and riding difficult trails to get better. And as a result you’ve progressed up the learning curve quickly, but it’s come with a cost (crashes).

I think you can slow down the pace at which you push things - riding incrementally gnarlier trails in a gradual way, thus allowing you to continue building technical skills.

Part of the reason the XC type trails are easy for you now is that you’ve pushed things on gnarlier trails. I don’t think you want to lose that type of progression.

I’m 47, have been riding for about 10 years, and every year I get better, and more comfortable on technical trails - not in leaps and bounds - just a gradual thing.

But why ride gnarly stuff if I never want to ride gnarly stuff?

I can just race on things that are “blue” and within my skill level and practice getting faster on those.

It’s the same reasoning why most people here will never try red bull rampage stuff; they just don’t want to ride those types of trails.

I’m just stopping at gnarly level 15 instead of gnarly level 100.

13 Likes

I agree there’s a limit to how far everyone wants to go. I think that limit moves over time as you get more riding under your belt (for me it has moved almost without me trying - it just happens with more reps).

So level 15 may be your limit now, but in a few years you’ll be at 20.

And at level 20, you’ll feel more confident riding new trails sight-unseen - helpful for races that you travel to - and just generally will open more doors on new trails you feel comfortable riding for fun.

1 Like

Glad @Nate_Pearson is back and posting here as well as on Instagram. Forgotten about the pillow hihi so much fun!
And I was happy to see @chad again! Just in case you read this @chad I am crossing fingers for a fast and good recovery!

1 Like

was that a deliberate pun?

1 Like

Lol! I keep messing up typing post concussion. I replace a lot of words that are close but not the correct word. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Just be where you’re at mate. No debate needed.

3 Likes