It will given time but in a 50 second interval when you’re spending some time below target the trainer is just going to be ramping up above target power to get you to where you want to be and consequently making it just that bit harder. This extra effort may be enough to tip you over the edge.
If it was a longer interval yeah I’d leave it, Spanish Needle I just did in resistance throughout I think.
I’m gonna Elite Zumo which isn’t a trainer which reacts that quickly.
Have I mentioned I hate supra-threshold? Like Coach Chad said, it’s a miserable place to hang out. Legs felt pretty good today but you’re never really prepared for this kind of work. That being said, today went smoothly. Felt the burn a good bit and feel productive. Wrapped the day with 60 minute easy run over lunch.
Long time on the turbo. I did the same length last week but the +3 version with longer breaks and I cheated on the last two intervals by lowering the ERG target nice going I changed my plan shortly after as I am better at the short sharp stuff. I was supposed to have a nice 1h session tonight but by the time I got round to looking at the calendar I figured it was too close to bed time and I need the sleep.
Ouch!..
There > 1 hour Chaingang > Back
Was a windy one, so we did well to hold 25.1mph round the loop. No hero pulls today, apart from where I lost the wheel in front who had caught up with a van, and gapped me for a fair while. I managed to get back on and ‘win’ the sprint up the final hill. Looking forward to an easy one tomorrow!
Yeah I was surprised I felt fine throughout, a bit of discomfort but no struggles.
This is the beginning of the last hard week (7) in MV SPB for me, and I’ll be glad when its over. Week 3 I struggled almost every workout. At the beginning of Week 5 I gained 8W so I was fair much dreading the rest of the plan but surprisingly week 6 was fine. Ive backed off my running and weekly swim, so that and taking in fuel probably helps. I think the only toughie left is Picket Guard at the end of the week, but over unders were fine last week
Dade +4 at lunch today. I think I was more worried about this one coming into it than I should have been. I knocked out 3 minute VO2Max intervals at 120% a few weeks ago, so this was, if anything, slightly less intense than that one. I think it has shorter breaks between the main sets. Not an easy workout, but not impossible, either.
Yesterday did a ramp test - Earlier this year I managed 342 for 45mins. Hit 4.1 w/kg twice in the last 60 days. Ramp test fail, 303w. I was really focused on getting one number, hitting 350. My legs stopped pedaling. Cardio was fine.
Are ramp tests a learned test, by meaning, more often you do them better you are?
First time with structured training. Just wrapped up SSBI medium volume and my FTP has gone from 147 → 190. Weight 176 pounds (79.8kg) to 160 pounds (72.6kg).
I was really hoping to crack 200 as intervals.icu had me at 190 half way through my last sweet spot week. Alas, I shouldn’t complain about a nearly 30% improvement.
I started the test feeling super confident and boy was I knocked back down to earth after 19:30 mins in. I’m always surprised by how fast this test can go from an easy stroll in the park to OMG every pedal stroke is legs on fire!
One question, should I be strategically moving up the gears in the end just to increase cadence and last an extra 15-30+ seconds? In hindsight I feel like this could have helped and maybe I would have gotten a slightly higher result?
Anyway, heres to hoping noob gains don’t slow down anytime soon. (they will)
Wow, 340w seems sooo far away for me. How long have you been training? I’m much newer than you but I’ve noticed focusing on a target isn’t the best for me mentally. I start to make compromises in my mind when I worry about the numbers too much during the effort. I should really just hide the target FTP figure and just focus on time/cadence. I wonder if that will result in better outcomes…
Curious - how long have you been riding? Great progress btw! I hope to follow a similar progression. 147 → 190 since picking up riding in May this year.
I started riding in 2016 to get off the couch, have some fun, and to meet new people after moving to Chicago area (and also to explore the new area I live in). Did some unstructured workouts via heart rate for a couple years, then got a power meter 2 years ago and did the same with it. Did a Zwift plan in the winter after getting the PM, and then raced some crits last spring and got totally destroyed. It was a wake-up call to just how fast people are on bikes and gave me a drive to want to be faster.
That’s when I stumbled onto the TR Podcast and signed up. Wasn’t very compliant for most of last year due to work travel and other life stressors, though. But when COVID cancelled all that, I just went for a full commitment on training with TR since I could finally spare the time and energy on it. Plus, I wanted to earn a new bike, which I bought a month ago!
Officially joined the TR family! Was really excited to do a ramp test instead of a 20 min test and I’m happy with the improvements from only a few months of endurance! My best FTP from 2015 is 255 at about 7kg lighter.
I think that’s what gets me through at least half of my hard workouts, and what’s responsible for the days where Pettit is scheduled, and I come home from a 100-150 TSS ride instead.
Baird +6 was yesterday’s workout, did it outside, the first set on the flats, the 2nd and 3rd sets on a mild climb. Extra interval between 1st and 2nd set because I thought I could start the 2nd set and get to the climb in the 1min rest, but the timing was off, and the km or so before the climb isn’t good for a high pace. Legs were feeling sluggish, and I felt like I was stuck between gears and couldn’t get the cadence nailed down. Finished off with a bit over 30 minutes of mostly Z2. The day was a bit stressful, just felt off in the end and couldn’t get in a good zone.