What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Ok, thanks. To make you jealous I just bought a PM for my bike and did my first outside ride yesterday (despite being freezing cold down here in Tasmania!) I’ll use the TSS as measured.

Gee thanks :laughing:

Spanish Needle -3 was on the schedule for Saturday, but since the weather was forecast to be nice Sat and rainy on Sun, I switched it around and did SN-3 yesterday. Was curious how it would go, did a 200km 295 TSS ride on Saturday, but was feeling ok. Debated between trying to do it outside rather than in ERG mode on the Kickr, but was feeling a little mentally lazy and opted for the trainer. Got going, watched Clash of the Titans on Netflix, legs felt good, and it was smooth sailing aside from a very short pause in the 5th set when one of the kids had a question that couldn’t wait. Keeping in mind “I can do anything for 15 seconds” helped me through it, too. The cadence started to vary a bit more in the last two sets, partly from my legs getting tired, and partly trying to anticipate the power ramp-up. Link to TR

Pisgah - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/86000405-pisgah

Given that VO2max and anaerobic intervals are my weak spot I was pleasantly surprised to find these OK. Well, maybe not pleasantly :grin: Easily exceeded the power target for all the intervals which means my poor Ramp Test the other week was just that: a poor test.

This week is a taper week since one of my planned events is going ahead this weekend but I just haven’t had the chance to put a lot of distance in my legs for it. So Crane+1 on Wednesday then final preparations.

Had this on the program today after four days of commuting into work on my single speed. 88 miles over the four days, plus the fact I can’t just bimble in, it always becomes a challenge to do better than yesterday.
All that combined made this uncomfortable but achievable. Onwards.

I changed my plan to a LV one whilst I sort a few things out and Godhard -4 was in my phone and web calendar for Saturday. I had a slight twinge in my hip so gave it a miss despite it looking interesting a nice short/ sharp session. So I went to give it a go tonight. It wasn’t in my pc app though :thinking: but I imported it and done it any way :+1:


Well it was going to be Antelope -4, mainly because I just wanted to do 4 x 10 = :man_shrugging:
If I rode at 100-110% FTP for all 4 intervals (progressing from 290 up to 318), with no standing/sprints/etc in there, would it be safe to say I could hold 320W for 20’ i.e FTP ~305? I didn’t feel particularly tired after this, as noted by the 30-40’ home averaging ~240W comfortably. Weather was midwest windy and 82.

I wish that had felt easier! Final interval felt OK until 8 minutes in then struggle street, HR suddenly jumped 4-5 bpm. Maybe for the 4th SSBMV workout in 5 days my expectations were a bit unrealistic.

The first three intervals I was like, “You know, this isn’t that bad.” And then…

Basin -4, mostly:

Plan Builder has me tapering for my not-an-event this week. I was breathing so hard my throat was sore afterwards. Pulled out all the mental tricks I could think of for the last ramp and legs refused anyway, but it’s fine because Amber says my physiology’s not that specific :laughing:

Beechy Tuesday:

Tired legs. This felt much harder than it ought to.

Yeah, that’s going to leave a mark! This felt like work. Boy did I use some fruity language when that power spike hit in the second set :joy:

3 hours of Makula last night. Originally on the plan for Sunday, but I’d a bit of a late one Saturday night so I have myself the day off. Hopped off early as it was getting late and the hunger was getting to me. I’ve been swapping my longer indoors sessions for outdoor rides so this is the longest ride I’ve done indoors in a while. Quads pretty tired after it - felt like good work done though.

Knocked out this one today, week 3 of short power HV. IF of 0.97 for the main portion of it, not too shabby. I don’t have any idea what my actual 20min power is, but for 11mins I had an NP of 310, would love it if it were my actual 20min power

Ansel Adams -2 at new FTP. 50 on 50 off (6 x 4). Was very pleased to be able to stick it out, took a few % drop later in the session but pretty much compliant.

The session led me to a feature request. I’m a laptop app user and with these short intervals I find erg mode leads you to be chasing the target so the power is subsequently fairly high above target due to slow trainer response. What I tend to do is flip to resistance mode at 1 sec to go, getting the target ball park, just below preferably and then get back into erg.

Having the T key as the controller is awkward given the location of it so I suggested this be swapped to the Ctrl button as it’s at the front edge of the keypad. Makes sense to me anyway.

Screenshot_20200728-121055
Ramp Test today. Got a 5 watt bump. That means since I started plan builder at 206 FTP in Feb, I’ve jumped up 31 watts! I definitely felt I was improving while cruising outside on recovery week at easy paces because my speed was noticeably faster than months ago. Below is my ftp progression for those interested. Steady progress is good progress. I’ll take 5 watts every 4-6 weeks no question.

  • 206 (Feb 28)
  • 219
  • 225
  • 232
  • 237 (July 28)

Just finished my mid-season rest week - 8 days entirely off the bike (glorious - strongly recommend to anyone) and dove back in with an easy ‘VO2’ workout of Taylor

Definitely don’t think this workout qualifies as VO2, but it was a nice way to dip my toes back into some intensity after a week off. Have Gendarme +9 and then Brasted +2 over the coming two weeks so that’ll build up to some more challenging efforts

Well done :+1:

With ERG, ignore the power. Just focus on a consistent cadence. The power will sort itself out. Works on all length of intervals, even the 15 second intervals of spanish needle. It’s not perfect, but it’s as good as trying to hit it on your own.