What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

It depends whether or not you use ERG. If you do, there’s no point moving the gears. Just increase the cadence and the trainer will adapt.
Changing gears would actually be counter productive I believe in that scenario, as your power would drop, then catch up and it would be a killer :confused:

Today was about questioning life choices.
What has brought me here? Why am I even doing this? Is there a point to this madness?

Monadnock +2 - 2 sets of 3x4mins VO2 max @115% - i would say distilled misery, but it’s not distilled, it’s more like, errr, a starbucks large coffee (in the large sense, not their stupid naming convention): bitter and neverending

That’s one workout I’ll definitely be giving a miss! Kudos on seeing that through :+1:

I was making that mistake (changing the gears in ERG mode) and you’re right it’s a killer :+1:

Went with a Specialized Allez Sprint Comp Disc. They seem to no longer be on the site though (the higher end models at least). Not sure if that means discontinuation or if it’s due to covid limiting labor, materials, manufacturing and distribution. That said, it is an incredible bike for the money, and the paint job on it is one I’ve dreamt of since buying my last bike.

Bit of a schedule change this week, so I’ve got 4 days in a row, with Saturday’s ride on Friday.

Kept it nice and easy with Baxter -1. Also it fit nicely into a 1:30 gap I had between meetings. I had to do the second meeting in my sweay shorts after a quick anti-bac wipe!

That’s some awesome progress. Congrats!

To answer your question, I don’t change gears during a ramp test. I find one that’s reasonably comfortable at the beginning and then just go until failure.

I read or heard somewhere that 19:30 is about where most people get to before the inevitable meltdown finally becomes too much.

Yeah, 19:30 sounds about right. If you make it through to the 20-minute mark, you’re guaranteed to get an FTP bump. I’ve made it to 21 mins before, but that was more about me coming back to the actual baseline of fitness I had from the previous season.

Crane+1 for me - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/86168984-crane-1 It’s definitely a workout for a taper week, just 8m45s of effort in an hour!

It’s a bit odd looking at the power figures and seeing very little in zones 5&6 and lots in Z7.

One calorie short eh?:sweat_smile:

Tough but achivable today, so 5hrs on the trainer over three days.

Carter tomorrow :tada:

:exploding_head: clearly didn’t push hard enough today!

You have to get to 19:30 to break even.

Baird-1 again, been seeing this a good bit lately. Handy enough as VO2 goes. HRavg up a bit from last time, but no rest day between my long bike and this so happy. Ramp test next week - first one since April, no idea how it’s going to go :grimacing:. Definitely feel stronger on the road bike outdoors but we’ll see how it translates to the TT on the trainer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3833370551


Tallac +1. Felt good. I appreciate the longer rest intervals in this version.

Yesterday 7x3 vo2 max, long day at work, poor nutrition as my overnight oats went sour, 80F in the room so I have decided to do some maintenance mode - 4x20@90%. HR like during FTP work :wink: and yes - tickr still keep dropping signal…well done wahoo.

2 x 20

92% and 99% MLSS
*

image

Strength training has already delivered >11% gain in thigh circumference, another 5 weeks to go.

Going to knock FTP down from 257 to 248 based on Garmin estimates and feel. That said the additional leg muscle I’ve added should lead to raising the bar on FTP in the coming months. :muscle:t3:

ramp test today, FTP unchanged at 300w. Probably had around another 10-15 secs left in the legs.