Spencer +2. The Final workout in my custom 3 wk VO2Max plan.
It was hard, but I finished strong.
Cracked in the 4th interval, so had to take a short backpedal. 5th interval at 95% and the final interval with a slow ramp from 101% to 110% to squeeze every last bit of energy out.
I feel pretty exhausted from all the hard work in SusPB and this VO2 plan. Happy I get to go relatively easy for the next couple weeks starting back at SSBMV1. Short SST workouts are gonna feel so easy
Looking forward to seeing if all this work results in an FTP bump next week.
Rest!
Down for Pettit but cool & sunny here and back wheel was still on MTB! and as 'll be away from Monday with no bike I had a quick "‘recovery’ ride. Just 40 minutes up and over Clent and back. Surprised how much was left in legs, did 15 minutes @ 353w according to Intervals.icu which made my eFTP pretty much match my current FTP.
Went kinda long with some high end tempo at the end. Feeling pretty good considering 240 TSS in the last 14 hrs or so. Recover tomorrow and hit it again on Monday.
Really need to figure out WTF is going on with the Vectors having momentary dropouts when I stand on the trainer (and only then).
My hip never felt right after Thursday’s TT but felt 100% on Fridays ride on the road bike but then didn’t feel right after last night’s session on the TT bike. I was going to rest all day but I decided to test out the theory there was a minute difference in set up and after dropping the TT bike saddle by a few mm it felt positive again. Im itching to try a higher power ride but I think I’ll have to resist
leconte. First time. Was a little scared of its reputation but fueled before and during. Then had to laugh at the workout text suggesting I think about post ride nutrition while I was throwing up in my mouth a little bit.
BTW Coach Chad, Leconte and Spencer +2 in the same week. Brutal.
Nice outdoor reference ride. Was supposed to be a club ride, but nobody wanted a ‘fast ride’, so I went solo and saved some coin on the café. I beat my best speed on this loop pretty comprehensively. It’s been a while since I rode it to be fair. 51.5 miles at 22.43mph at ‘spiky tempo’. You get a nice recovery in the middle, as there’s a river crossing on a chain ferry!
This was supposed to be +5, but I did a long ride outside yesterday and I’m still trying to figure out what’s best to do the day after a long ride. 7x10 sweet spot seemed unlikely, but 4x10 was pretty reasonable!
(I also had a whole complicated calculation going where Plan Builder gave me 135+129 TSS this weekend and I did 284 yesterday and if inside TSS is half again as efficient as outside TSS then that’s equivalent to a 284/1.5 = 189 TSS indoor ride leaving about (135 +129) - 189 = 75 TSS to make up today and Antelope +5 was already on the schedule so.)
Well I didn’t manage the intended 100 miles, but still the longest outdoor ride I’ve done since March.
If I feel OK later I might still have a crack at todays workout, Tray Mountain - 3x20min SS. That would put me on 100 miles hopefully… Will see, dont think I can face much more sugar today! Think i over did it on this ride, still experimenting with more fuel
On second thoughts I might rest til tomorrow and try again at one of my failed VO2 workouts, it should be rest week but I’m feeling surprisingly good, I just hope my power meter plays nicely…
50 miles windy but sunny zone 2 this morning after getting soaked in the TT yesterday…180 riders - first half of them got a good day. Second half got caught in a very windy monsoon until the police forced an abandonment with 30 of the field left to start. I started in the pouring rain having already warmed - ha! - up in it - should have binned it but did that last Sunday and didn’t want 2 DNS in a row…was so cold and I couldn’t see much in the spray! HR max was 150 where as it was over 170bpm in a club race last Tuesday. Power was 20W lower as well. At least I didn’t crash…that was horrible!
Pushed the ramp test forward from the coming Tuesday to Sunday.
Lots of life stress and very little sleep made it hard to get everything out but I’d say this is pretty accurate and that if I was well rested I’d only get 1-2% more. 349 up to 360, let the come back continue!
Did Galena +3 today, short power build, week 2. I’m at my parents house and their basement is a very reasonable 70 degrees compared to my basement which has been upper 70s. Seems small difference but I definitely felt it. My HR stayed mid 150s, where generally for 90% efforts it goes to upper 150s, so that’s a win. Got another week of build before I start making any plans for ftp increases though lol
Solid ride today. Saw this one posted and thought it looked like a fun one so I threw it on the calendar. Great way to cap the week. First set of 120’s was tough but the second went super smooth. Legs firing well today. Break between part 1 and 2 of this workout is deceptively short, but who knew threshold could feel so good . Then the 110 kicked in and it didn’t feel so good anymore. Starting at 95 then jumping to 110 was definitely tougher but I liked the variety and part 2 actually flew by. Definitely adding this gem to my go-to workout list when I feel like switching things up a bit.
Still don’t know how I’m going to stretch the 120%ers to 3 minutes for next week’s scheduled Spencer +2 (and this is part of ‘base’ wtf??!!) so I thought I’d at least try gradually working these 2 minute descenders up to +5% in the hope that it makes next week seem slightly easier. The other conclusion from this is that the first 2-3 intervals feel the worst, after that some mental adjustments seem to kick in.
Nono, that’s just me being pointlessly anal. (I don’t even have a power meter for outside rides, so I’m using the magical intervals.icu estimate from heart rate.)