What whisk(e)y are you enjoying?

It nice. Smooth, sweet, and finishes well. If you like whiskeys with a little “kick” this isn’t the right one. I’ll definitely buy another bottle.

3 Likes

I like them both, the double wood has a sweeter finish that I enjoy

1 Like

Monkey Shoulder tonight; not bad for a cheap blended malt scotch whisky! :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers!

4 Likes

I had a glass of Bulleit Rye earlier and am following it up with Glenmorangie Nectar D’or. Nectar and Mac 12 are my Scotch go to.

1 Like

Eagle rare is so good for whiskey sour

I only just started on Whiskey as something to do during COVID lockdowns here in Melbourne… I think i’m off to a pretty good start?! :slight_smile:

Aberlour 12y.o. single malt (Speyside)
Aberlour A’Bundah single malt cask strength (Speyside)
Talisker Storm single malt (Isles)
Oban 14y.o. single malt (Highland)
Lagavulin 16y.o. single malt (Islay)

I think the Speysides are my favourite so far, but really enjoying the Oban 14 too.

3 Likes

I’m a beer guy thinking of getting into whiskey. Couple of my buds have recommended Balvenie.

It depends what you like. Balvenie is good. I have the 15 sherry cask, and just picked up the 17 double wood. I also have Glendronach 15 revival and Glenfarclas 25, and Glenlivet 18. These are mostly, unfortunately, over $100/bottle.

What kind of beer do you drink, what do you like for whiskey taste? Scotch is made in Scotland. There’s also American whiskeys like Bourbon, and American single malts (made like Scotch, but it is made in America). And of course, Rye whiskeys.

For starters, I would probably recommend a bourbon. A good bourbon can be had cheaper, to get you tasting different things in the mash bill. A really good one that I like, that is not horribly expensive, is the Knob Creek Single Barrel. 9yo, 120 proof. ~$50. Frey Ranch is also good, but on a completely different taste spectrum, and can be had (for now) about $50 for the straight bourbon. Frey Ranch is an up and coming distillery, so availability is an issue. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is also very good, and should be more available, just like the Knob Creek Single Barrel.

2 Likes

Thanks. I know next to nothing about whiskey. But I drink mainly IPA’s and do like some stouts and sours. Few friends have had me taste a few different ones, but don’t remember enough to comment. Sounds like it will be a grand adventure.

and can be very expensive too. Unless you drink lots every day, it should last a while.

Bourbon and other whiskeys will be very different than IPAs. Even whiskeys that are considered bright and floral, will never approach the level of an IPA. There will always be the sweetness and wood, that will be ever present. I also think it will never be as bitter a finish as an IPA.

Anyhow, Balvenie is a good scotch. The 12yr (not 17yr) double wood is pretty good, and the price is good too. Depending on where you are at, it might be ~$60-$70. It’s not cheap cheap, still, but it’s good. But, don’t let the brand limit you, there are probably good ones out there that are cheaper.

Bourbons even lower in cost that what I initially listed…Breckenridge straight bourbon. This one is in Colorado. They used to source whiskey from other distilleries, but now make their own, so the age is not really high. But, I’ve had it, and it’s good and also cheaper. Maybe $30-40. Some people only want Kentucky, so there’s that.

American whiskey is cheaper than imported, no taxes/tariffs/duty fees, etc. I’m assuming you’re American.

When buying, do your research. Some shops will gouge.

Anyhow, to be thread relevant.

The past 2 week or so, I’ve had.

• George Remus Repeal 4
  • King’s County Straight Bourbon
  • King’s County Peated Bourbon
  • Glendronach 15 revival (again)
  • Balvenie 15 sherry cask
  • Balvenie 17 double wood (new to me)
  • Glenfarclas 25 (again)
  • Barrell New Year 2021 (yay!)
  • Frey Ranch straight bourbon (again)

Cheers!

2 Likes

Shame it’s dry January for me. I might just leave the High Wine sample be though: 65 abv or 130 proof for our American readers. I am kinda partial to what’s left of my eyesight. So I shall park that one.

2 Likes

Some of my current faves…Barrell 011, Knob Creek 12 yr and single barrel, Maker’s Cask Strength, and Midwinter Night’s Dram. Levels inversely proportional to the stress of the past few months…

4 Likes

Never mind hanging your dossards on the wall! This…

Maccallan 12 is a go to. Monkey Shoulder is a good blend of Highland single malts. I have recently gotten into Woodford Reserve.

1 Like

Rex and Daniel would be proud of you! :grin:

1 Like

I have only enjoy 2 whiskey in my life…

I think one was a mcallan… I think it was an 18… Not sure…

And another one that I have no idea what it was…

Both were glorious, but one was like God pissed in my mouth glorious… Sadly I was told I could only have 1 shot since both were very expensive… the less expensive one was over 300… the other…who knows…

From that moment on, everything else taste like porta potty water

1 Like

I used to be a whiskey man. These days I usually prefer rum or gin.
But as this is a whiskey crowd I’ll have one too!

2 Likes

Quintessential and inexpensive bourbon for me tonight.

:ok_hand:

Cheers!

3 Likes

wow, that’s something! I would be afraid of accidentally knocking over a bottle!

Great info/advice. Thanks!