What to do if I don't (yet) have a 'special event'?

An “age” training question. I’m an old bloke (>50) that has finally got back on a bike (somewhat seriously) after a couple of decades away. For both enjoyment and to lose some weight. Both are aspects going well (but not dropping the weight as fast as I could in my 20’s!) So here’s the question: I want to build my fitness (VO2 Max and FTP) for a while before I start racing again. I understand the 3 phase development program approach. However I don’t (yet) have a ‘Speciality’ goal. Should I pick one that suits what I want to do eventually and run all three phases or do a base-build-base type of cycle or maybe keep it in base all season? Sage council appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would recommend going through a rotation between base and build as this will give you the most bang for your buck when it comes to fitness. If you decide on an event you want to work towards, you can start up a specialty phase that relates to your event but until then, this rotation is the best way to go. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks Ian, appreciate the quick response.

Agreed. Base Build Base is appropriate. Though it has always been said that everything is easier with a high FTP so perhaps look at a 40TT or sustained power to further sharpen that FTP.