Return to Cycling after Long Layoff

A little over two years ago, I was an avid triathlete with an FTP of approximately 270. In the intervening two years I did virtually nothing except gain weight. On November 10 of this year, I rode the ramp test, and determined that my new FTP was 165. Thereafter, I completed the Sweet Spot Base Mid-Volume I Plan (although I cut a few rides short because I needed to build up to the volume). Thereafter, my FTP increased to 185. Now I am midway through another base plan, and suspect that at the end my FTP will be somewhere in the low 200s. At this early early juncture in my return, should I continue to ride base plan after base plan, or should I go through a build plan even though I have no events scheduled? If it helps, I don’t think that I will attempt another triathlon or biking event until sometime in 2020. My goal is really to improve my overall fitness.

Thanks.

Richard

Definitely throw in build plans. Might even want to consider a specialization plan although that’d be more mentally necessary than physical (a change of pace can be great for the brain)

1 Like

I would absolutely follow the plan progression and start a build phase after you complete Sweet Spot Base II, you’ll likely see significant improvements from build and once completed you may wish to return to a block of sweet spot depending how you feel, what your outside riding looks like etc.

Who knows, you might even find an event that interests you this year!

1 Like

See option 2 in this support article:

Based on the podcast, the support article, and discussions on the forum I’m currently planning the following progression for my season that start a month or two ago:

Build 1: prep for weekly group rides starting in March

• SSB1
  • SSB2 (currently in week 4)
  • Build: Sustained Power

Build 2 / Rebuild: rebuild to continue raising ftp and/or grow repeatability/durations

• SSB2
  • Build
  • Specialty

It has been suggested that during rebuild you can skip ssb1.

3 Likes