vEveresting the EVEREST! May 1st to the 17th

Anyone going for this? Single ride up to 8.848m of climbing in a Magic road created by RGT Cycling available from May the 1st to the 17th.

Im doing it…probably day one. Just waiting for some more info on the slope and lenght of the road to set my gearing correctly for what I guess it will be around 10h climbing (made 12h26 on a vEversting 10k last year but that had 10 climbs and 9 descents)

2 Likes

I saw it and would love to do it, but it doesn’t line up well with my events just a bit after that time. Seems like what could be a great group and time to take on that challenge.

2 Likes

Honestly I’d kinda love to try it as a group, think I’d do better. Not on Facebook though so no clue what’s going on (I know, I’m like the last person holding out against the Facebook empire!).

1 Like

Here is some info from alternate sites. They are planning to debut an actual “ride” up a virtual version of Everest built in RGT Cycling (they seem to be keeping it very tight until closer to the dates).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdCk-WLze5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2 Likes

I honestly don´t know if a non-stop everesting is harder or easier without the descents. I guess it´s easier, because you can take breaks whenever you want and not at fixed intervals :thinking:
(¨easier¨ is of course very relative :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

That sounds savage.

The times will be very interesting!

2 Likes

I fully expect there will be stops along the way. Planned locations or not, people can’t likely do that without at least several bathroom breaks at the very least.

2 Likes

Just folow this topic. May from day one to day 17 that Magic road simulating the everest climb will be available to all users in RGT Cycling. No need to BE a premium member.

2 Likes

Yes it depends. Im going to stop only when i need going to the WC and a fast stretch. Maybe twice at the most. My best everesting time was outdoor above 11h but that had over 1h in stops to pick food and drinks, in a virtual you can have everything you need in a stand and dont realy need to stop.

You can go for the half Everest making it a nice endurance Ride.:grin:

Whats bugging me is the absense of concrete details on the gradients that the climb will have. Just too damn curious about the gradients and rules for this so I can set the correct gearing in my bike. Currently my trainer bike setup is an 9speed 11/27t cassete and 34t in the front ring. This is not a setup for a consecutive climb of 8848m.

Already started my training plan. 1x Stelvio tuesdays and thursdays and 3 or 4x Stelvio saturdays. Just for the next two weeks. Will this be enough? :thinking: Stelvio climb on RGT has 14km and averages 8% but has several spots above 10 and up to 15%. Total climbing on Stelvio is 1180m.

Last tuesday at 80% trainer slope/resistance my average cadence was 73rpm. Took 1h04 and averaged 214w and 136bpm. This is not a pace for the whole 8848m.

By the everesting rules (unless there’s some exeption for this one) trainer resistance must be at :100:% so it will be even harder and I cant get that cadence doing the same watts and HR. That’s what I tested yesterday doing Stelvio again this time at 100% slope and managed as expected a higher wattage and HR even making less 1rpm. I was faster than tuesday at 80% making 1h02 (less 2 minutes) because I was trying to make the same cadence and that way power had to go up and so HR. Finished with average 221w and 139bpm.

This was only a single climb and I did it way over the average watts that I would do if it was the first climb of 8 as in an everesting. To get this done successfuly and non stop like I want to (well maybe I’ll have to get of the bike once or twice to the WC) I Guess that the highest cassete (11-32t but for my road bike) I have and used before to everest Alp du Zwift 10x maybe enough but… That off course depends on the average and top gradients we will find in the road.

In everesting group it was already said that wheel on trainers are allowed. By the everesting rules usualy only climbs that dont go above 10% gradient can be done on a wheel on trainer. So I guess the average gradient wont be very high or if giving a brake to wheel on trainers maybe the 100% slope resistance rule wont aplly this time for direct drive trainers. At least in RGT I dont think this rule makes sense. Reducing the slope is like adding virtual gears and prevents us from having to change gears just for this. But in that case I would recommend that the slope resistance choosen upon the start cant be changed during the Ride. Like IRL I guess no one (or almost no one) is changing the cassete during the ride.

2 Likes

That is a great point! I have to really consider that now that you mention it. Thanks for the odea. :smiley:

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ll go May 1st around 8am Lisbon/london time. My Pace but anyone in there till 5 or 6pm just say hi on the chat.

Chad I Guess The climb simulates the climbers path.

1 Like

Its not a single climb. Its a loop. Dont know exactly the length but we will have to CL MB several times from basecamp to the top and descend back to basecamp. At least it is what I was told :roll_eyes:

1 Like

How come only wheel on trainers?

That counts me out unfortunately…

Not “only”, it actually ALLOWS wheel on this time. They are often excluded from vE.

Wheel off will count just like always.

2 Likes

Ah gotcha, thought it was bizarre the way I’d interpreted that!

1 Like

Everesting the Everest - Training Group Ride Saturday the 24th of april at 9h30gmt. 40km and 3250m of climbing :mountain_biking_man::muscle::grin: JOIN IN THE RGT Cycling mobile APP: Leaving Facebook

1 Like

The road to the top of Everest will have 12.7km per climb, 8%average, 984m climbed. Max gradient close to the end on Hillary step at 20% but just for 50m.

One of the rules is to set slope resistance to 100% on the trainer. For me it means i’ll have to change my trainer cassete from 12/27t 9 speed to 11-32t 11 speed using my outdoor bike to get 9 full climbs done without breakng my legs.

1 Like

No time limit to finish but no sleep allowed and due to RGT system that after a 30 minutes avatar complete stop it will end the ride, brakes are better to be kept shorter and using only the descent time to step out eating and stretching is a good strategy to dont waste time.

1 Like