vEveresting the EVEREST! May 1st to the 17th

That 20% kick is going to make it interesting.

Kinda surprised they are allowing wheel-on trainers in that case. Many top pit at 10-15% max. Ends up making a “cheat” for them to not feel the full pain of that kick, even though the total power to ride it will still take them the same watts eventually.

Yes wheel on trainers by the everesting general rules should not be allowed in any climb that gets over 8%. This One has 8% average and só it will have several spots above 8% besides those 20%. However in the spirit of inclusion and getting as many riders as possible doing the event the Everest crew said yes to wheel on trainers just for this climb/event.
I wish they also allowed the slope resistance to be decreased a bit allowing me to keep the 12-27t cassete at 75/80% slope that feels kind of like my 11-32t cassete instead of having to change the cassete and use my outdoor bike on the trainer but that wasnt considered so lets do the change and go for it anyways. :muscle::mountain_biking_man::+1:

1 Like

Looks like the RGT website is live: https://www.rgtcycling.com/everesting-on-everest/

Still missing the starting time for the server but maybe it Will be similar to other events around 5am GMT. Maybe.

1 Like

Would be interesting to get a segment that can be used with the Everesting calculator. I know I can’t do the whole thing, but would be cool to see the numbers, and might lead me to a Base Camp at least.

1 Like

The profile shown on that page is not for the magic road route - it would be very nice for them to show the profile of the actual route to be ridden - an average gradient for a long climb is not that helpful for picking gearing.

2 Likes

Thinking about this, the downs back to start might be quite long, since braking is at play in RGT. Not super familiar with the specifics, but it seems there will be “extra” time to recover on the return compared to something like Z since it is without braking.

Chad with 12.7km per climb, 8%average, 984m climbed each climb you just need 4.5 climbs to get to basecamp 4.424m. Do one and then think on going the extra distance to get to basecamp if you feel like it.

Toyman we know the average and that Hillary Step will go up to 20% on a short 50m spot. I already changed my usual 12-27t cassete to 11-32t keeping 34t in the small ring up front. It Will have to be enough once I made one everesting outside using that gearing and the segment had 13% average and going up to 20% also in some spots.

1 Like

Yep RGT has brakes that makes the descents less fast when no one is pedaling after corners to get back to top speed. Im planning to Ride all the way down on most laps and on the first i’ll check if there are any danger zones where the avatar may stop or loose lots of speed.

1 Like

Yeah, I wondered if there would be chance of rolling to a stop with that braking aspect. Might not be fully automatic roll down. Or could be possible for most of it if you plan to pedal vs get off at the right points.

I’m also interested to see how it looks, with just the magic roads creation.

The descent is quite steep and has no stop points. About 14 minutes by my weight that were more then enougt to eat and strech a bit off the bike.

Made it saturday. 8.849m climbed . 9 full climbs and 8 complete Laps plus a bit descending after the last climb while chatting with other riders still doing it and to get to the 220km Mark. Total time spent under 11h that was my goal.

Strava link: Veja a minha atividade na Strava: Follow Sérgio on Strava to see this activity. Join for free.

Strava cut 2m in climbing leaving the Ride on strava 1m below the Everest Bright but by the specific rules by everesting to this one the data from RGT is the valid data and over there it reached 8.849m.

4 Likes

Damn, that is impressive!!! Way to go. :+1:

1 Like

You can of course bike to the real Everest base camp. This is 2001 before the road from Lhasa to Basecamp was tarmac’d. Base camp north side is 5,200m , with highest pass you cross at 5,800m.

3 Likes

Woooow what an Epic Ride! Cold? Lack of oxygen? How long it took and were did you start to Ride to basecamp?

Cold on the passes but a pair of mitts solved that. Still wore shorts whole ride. Started Lhasa and finished Kathmandu. Whole ride about 3 weeks without checking diary. Everest base camp about 3 days before crossing into Nepal.

The passes were generally about 25 miles up and 25 miles down. Some longer some shorter. Apart from where we came off Tibetan plateau to Nepal and descended 15,000ft in 100 miles

The first 40 miles from Lhasa was tarmac and after that gravel all the way, with a number of river crossings.

I’d been over 13,000ft for the three weeks preceding the ride so was fairly acclimatised and lack of Oxygen wasn’t an issue even on highest pass.

2 Likes

Great life experience. I wouldnt dare to ride In such conditions.

I was on a 19 month trip round the world and biking east / west (via Everest) across Tibet fitted right in.

2 Likes

I was originally planning on doing an AdZ full sub-10 hour attempt on May 1, but did a last minute switch to the RGT challenge for some variety. The 14 minute descents made the sub-10 impractical for my fitness level so I pulled the plug at the basecamp at 5:00:57.

Of note, the elevation that strava displayed was way off. Also, since there were no segments defined, the submission tool on the everesting website wasn’t working. Curious if others had similar problems.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5223733344

1 Like

Were you able to submit your activity to everesting.cc? I got this error:

“There are no climbing segments on this activity. Please make sure that the activity type is correct in Strava (e.g. “Virtual Ride” for Zwift) and also make sure that a segment for your climb is shown in the main segment list for the activity.”

I had and still have the same issues. Crazy Over 30.000m climbed on Strava by the direct RGT upload but I deleted that and manually added the GPX file from RGT to Strava and the ride its now ok inspite Strava still messes with it changing my 8849m on both RGT apps to 8847m🤬 Cant submit via the everesting tool either. First the tool said that segment crapy message then even creating the segment myself now it asks if Im sure the activity is mine. Even saying yes nothing changes and no submission. I’ve reported this to hells500 by e-mail this weekend so i’ll wait a few days for the reply.

My message was not exactly like that. I had less info. It only poped up the message that no segment wad created for that ride. I Guess Strava last update also messed things a bit. The segment I created from the climb dont know why but its stick has private. Tryed several times to make it public even deleting and creating again but the private checkbox cant just be changed.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: