TSS target range questions

So now I’m delving into TSS. How much TSS is too much? I’m planning on low volume with added mtb rides thrown in during the week. If I go back and estimate some recent weeks of TSS I get an estimate of 500-600 on a lot of weeks with no signs of fatigue. Do I just trial and error it with the SSBLV1 with the extra rides and see how it affects my performance?

Is there a magic number or is all just on the individual and what I can handle?

Training load is individual, Joe Friel has wrote about guidelines. You need a accurate FTP and power meter for all rides.

Suggest you read this three part series for some background info:

1 Like

Yes, trial and error and looking back at historic data.

As bbarrera stated, a power meter is required. Estimating TSS for an MTB ride without power data is generally going to be quite inaccurate.

1 Like

There’s no magic number, depends hugely on the individual, your history, and how you’re amassing that TSS. Doing 600 TSS of VO2 Max intervals would likely bury you for example, whereas 600 TSS of riding zone 2 long distance rides could be relatively easy if you have the time and patience for that much riding. Somebody with years of training under their belt can cope with and adapt to a volume of training that would likely overtrain somebody new to the sport. And estimates based on RPE or HR are so prone to error that I’m not sure it’s even worth bothering tracking it.

If you’re doing a similar volume and mix of intensity each week then it’s easier to guesstimate how much you can handle. Simply increase volume and/or intensity incrementally each week until you feel like you’re pushing the limits what you can handle, then back it off a little. If you’re changing it up quite a bit each week (e.g. one week you go out and do a long steady MTB ride, the next week you go out with some friends and smash yourself to pieces) then I wouldn’t even attempt to put a number on it, just listen to your body.

1 Like

No magic number. Yes trial and error. Incrementally load more each week by 10% if similar riding. The insidious part of pushing TSS and chasing CTL is that it have a delayed affect. For example: Week 1=500 TSS; week 2=550; week 3=605; week 4=300; week 5 =550; week 6=605; week 7=670 etc…maybe you feel good after week 4 but the wheels come off in the middle of week 6 which you handled the same TSS during week 3.

This assumes you are riding with a PM and have a good TSS value. The most important aspect of training is time in zones. If painting a picture the canvass is TSS/CTL and the paint/picture is time in zones. Probably a bad analogy but, the point is how you TSS is more important than quantity of TSS.