Training Setback - Advice needed

Purchased a year membership a month ago and went full out eating right and keeping on schedule with the plan that as set up me. I just completed week 3 of Base 1 and am loving it.

Now onto the issue. I was confirmed COVID positive yesterday so training is going to have to take a backseat because health comes first. I figure at a minimum i will be off 3 weeks maybe 4 depending on how i feel after its all over. Currently i feel like a minor cold.

My question is, Should i just start over or pick back up where i left off? I kind of thought just start over but wanted to get some other input.

Thanks for your time

T

If it were me I would just start over. You will be off as long as you’ve on the program and will likely need to re-do the ramp test anyways so I think just starting over makes the most sense.

2 Likes

Related thread worth a read:

Gut instinct would say to reset entirely with that much time off.

1 Like

It takes energy to heal the body whether broken bones or viral insult. Start over but, man with the way this virus starts as a respiratory event and transitions to include a vascular component…take it easy with this. Lord knows what blood vessel insult could happen if you push it too soon. When/if I get symptoms I’m taking it really easy for months. Reading what pro cyclist to fellow co-workers are going through trying to recover from this thing is scary.

2 Likes

Start over. I had Covid a while back and immediately got an inner ear infection when that went away! Was off the bike from 4/21-5/4 then did a week of low intensity before beginning SSB HV1 again. I dropped off from an all time high of 3.75 w/kg to 3.3. I’m still not back to where I was… close @3.6. First couple weeks weren’t fun.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and link to the other post.

I consulted my Dr (which is a runner) and was told to do some low level 30 minute rides (went 50% ftp) and watch my heart rate. I did that for a week and then went to 75% FTP for 30 minutes yesterday also watching heart rates. It was a little higher but i think some of that was nervousness of riding so soon.

I re ramp tested today 2 1/2 weeks after testing positive and 3 days after testing negative (recovered) and only lost 1 watt so i’m pretty happy with that. My Dr is watching my progress with my TrainerRoad Analyse though. He is interested to see how it goes with the data i had before and from now for the next month or so. Maybe longer.

Thanks again

T

Any updates? Curious how it is after reading all the articles about long term effects and such

1 Like

Good morning.

Training is the norm and so is life in general (living that antibody life!).

My Dr or I can not see any side effects at all. To be honest. I have had Summer Colds that have effected me way worse. I know Covid is effecting people different but I have no issues after the fact. The illness itself and post have been a cake walk.

That was for myself and my wife.

2 Likes