Training during Christmas

It’s the uncertainty in travel restrictions that are going to be an issue this year.

Currently am supposed to be at the in-laws 22nd-24th and with my parents 26th-28th, I probably will take my bike to my parents, but may be doing Festive 500, therefore any training plan will be out the window. It’s also equally likely I’ll end up doing F500 on Zwift 29th-31st in which case I will likely do my TR workouts at the same time (and probably sub in longer alternates, do loads of endurance on the back end etc).

I’m just into SSB2, I’ll rearrange to do what I can but if I miss stuff I’ll just forget about it to be honest - starting to have a bit of faith in the AT adaptations, so I will just let that handle it.

1 Like

That quote refers to when your training/fitness is peaking, not regarding Base training and skipping workouts.

For Christmas, which is also my birthday :partying_face::birthday: :tada: , I stay local so my training doesn’t get interrupted. Not because I think my fitness will degrade, but rather I just feel better both mentally and physically if I can get a workout in. If I had to travel I’d still try to do something on the road.

3 Likes

Given that the forecast at the moment for San Francisco is rain starting tomorrow - Tuesday 12/21 - and rain straight through to Wednesday, 12/29, it’s looking like virtual Festive500 for me.

I’m not starting serious training until first week of Jan - I call serious anything with o/u for 90 mins at the weekend :face_vomiting:…But I am still riding plenty - as a teacher I have a couple of weeks for some outdoor rides if the weather is ok in the UK and try and fit in some 90 min endurance sessions like Colosseum or lower end SS like Round bald/spruce knob etc plus some running - nothing to taxing but if you do nothing it’s a big weight/fitness deficit to make up in the new year especially if your eating or drinking er…plenty! :roll_eyes: :grinning:

1 Like

Are you racing in early/mid January? If not, missing a few workouts won’t change a thing in the big picture.
I find that a few leisurely gravel rides around Christmas are an excellent cure for in-law-itis.

1 Like

I don’t celebrate holidays, just meaningless waste and bullshit. But I am surrounded by people who do. So I have to deal with it, like I do everything else. Mostly making everyone accommodate me :rofl:

(That’s actually mostly true with just a hint of sarcasm.)

But I NEVER stress about missing training days. If I miss a day, I just call it a rest day and move on. I ride 20 hours a week; missing a day once in a while won’t hurt. Odds are I will still be active doing something else that day.

1 Like

It’s too late for this year, but a tip for next year. I think the best way to handle this is to take the busiest holiday week for you and schedule vacation in Plan Builder. That’s what I do. If done far enough out, plan builder will structure your training so that the week off is your recovery week. Your prior block will end the week before and your next block will start the week after. Nothing stops you from adding in some recovery week type workouts as you have time during that week off.

You can also be flexible with it. I thought that this week was going to be my busy week, but it turns out that next week is going to be tough one with time. Since I’m not too thrashed, I pulled next week’s intensity into this week and pushed my recovery to next week.

I get up hella early and get in 2-2.5hrs before anyone else is up and still get in all the good family time.

1 Like

You must be a blast to be around during get togethers, lol!

6 Likes

I was originally planning to take my bike with me to my parents to do some longer z2 rides. I did use plan builder to schedule time off though, never know how the weathers gonna be. But now I got my third vaccination shot, so sport is off the table for now. Might do some running after Christmas and resume my strength workouts until I’m back on the bike at the end of December.

I try to avoid them as much as possible.

3 Likes

Me too. I don’t get stressed by Christmas. Covid is a great excuse for us bike riders. My list of excuses are.
Sorry, I can’t join you because;
I have a sick horse to care for.
I think I may have Covid
I have to feed the neighbours horses;
I’m self isolating until the cyclo X National Champs;
I’m watching the Replay of CX word cup Namur.

Anymore excuses welcome , as i try to rotate them each year, except Covid.(which is this years)

4 Likes

I went through withdrawals last year! Spent a week away from home and wished I had taken my bike to have a little time away for both physical and mental health. I love those people and miss them dearly throughout the year… but … good Lord :slightly_smiling_face:

I have our two all-day driving days marked as off days. Installed the trailer hitch on the Bronco yesterday so we can take the bikes with us this year. Destination: Texas - coming from Colorado, I just cannot miss the opportunity to ride in 80F weather after eating ALL OF THE TEX-MEX.

4 Likes

:rofl:

I have to go to my ex’s place today to rearrange the hay before it rains :joy:

3 Likes

Base ends at Xmas for me. It’s been a big volume block going since the end of September incorporating weight training too.

I’ll take 1.5 well deserved weeks doing nothing more than a few easy 60-90 minutes rides… well other than the boozing and eating

1 Like

I’m hoarding all my Amazon packages this week, so by the time I get up and open them Saturday, I will have forgotten what I ordered. I’ll open the packages, be surprised and go “It’s what I’ve always wanted”. Then Chad has me scheduled for a 2 hour VO2max workout. Aaaaannnnd…that’s my Christmas.

2 Likes

I just dial back the workouts/intensity and don’t stress if I skip anything.

Maybe I’m an antisocial git, but Covid has been a great excuse for close family time; just my wife, my daughter and myself :wink:

I get up at 5 / 5:30am to get the rides in early, leaving the rest of the time for the family. Tomorrow is Xmas Eve, I plan 1.5hrs first thing, 45mins on Xmas Day then will do Disaster -2 on Boxing Day. I’ll then do a variety of rides between then and New Year, all a bit random / TrainNow / whatever I fancy.

SSB1 starts on the 5th Jan!

1 Like

You’re totally right mate. Our families have guys at home dressing up in Lycra and disappearing in a dark room at most bizarre hours to inflict pain on their bodies…they deserve quality time over Xmas (with little breaks for training:-))

1 Like

Exactly this. A friend of mine asked if Christmas was just going to be a regular Saturday for me. My answer was, “yes”, but what I really should have said is, “Yes, I’m planning on a 90 min TrainerRoad/Zwift ride and a nap.”