TR Running Thread 2021

It’s been a week since i’ve run, but it feels like its been 84 years. It also go REAAAALLY bad until it got better… had trouble sitting, and then even sleeping last weekend.

But i can finally sit almost normally again, whew

1 Like

You can map the Stryd power zones to RPE and it makes doing the TR workouts a breeze - it also automatically adapts/recalculates CP depending on your power curve.

But they moved a ton of functionality behind a subscription, and there are various issues combining it with the Garmin ecosystem (Connect IQ fields aren’t quite the same as native support). You can’t create a workout without a subscription even. Chad’s ones are simple enough that you can remember them but it’s a sad limitation from Stryd.

Some Garmin watches, notably Vivoactive and Venu, only have partial support.

At this point I’d sit and wait to see what Garmin does with running power in the 955 first.

Polar and Coros users may have different trade-offs.

Lastly, if you live in a pancake flat area I don’t think running power will get you much or anything over pace. The wind adjustment feels rather approximate.

2 Likes

sure do miss the good ole days when you could pay 1 flat fee for a finished piece of software

4 Likes

Subscriptions are unregulated debt.

ahah, I live in pancake-flat territory. What about
MARQ AVIATOR, will the power be monitored here?

Olivia Parcker developer “worktime

1 Like

It has “full” compatibility.

This still includes various limitations such as Strava not recognizing the Running Power etc, all because the support isn’t native to Garmin.

So, I’ve pulled the trigger on a Garmin Forerunner 45 plus and I’m liking it so far - pretty good for £130 :+1: And I’m enjoying exploring the features and possibilities, in the end I only need a watch to record runs really though and generate a TSS so anything else is gravy. Anything that requires faff will be discarded :slight_smile:

So. How do Garmin people schedule their run workouts?

I realise you can’t sync TR run workouts to Garmin in this universe, it would be nice to have some way of having a target pace for tempo/interval runs during a run, or limiters for my mostly aerobic runs.

2 Likes

It’s pretty easy to create Garmin workouts and sync to the watch. It’s how I’ve done my run workouts in the past.

2 Likes

So you just create them individually on your phone as and when you need them, you don’t use a plan or import them from another platform?

Ive created a couple of workouts manually but I get the impression it’ll be quite time consuming to put together a week of running workouts, so I’ve launched the Garmin Coach 10k plan to give me a 5 day set of workouts and I’ll just ignore them if there’s too much intensity or not enough volume.

Yes. I use the web rather than the phone to create them, I found that easier. Drag and drop to the Garmin calendar and the job is done. It syncs to the watch automatically.

I used to do a weeks worth at a time which at the most was 5-10 mins. If you’re doing progressions from week to week its even quicker as you can copy last weeks 3x10min and easily change to 3x12m, as an example. Whether your progression is time or pace it’s quick and easy enough.

2 Likes

I use training peaks. It loads run workouts to your garmin seamlessly.

2 Likes

I create the workouts I need on the web app, and push them to the watch. Anything that can be done with the Intervals function, I do that rather than create a workout (e.g. a 4x5min intervals session). I don’t use scheduling, I simply load the workout or set the intervals before stepping out of the house.

1 Like

Don’t think I know what this is, is it somewhere in the workout creation function?

No, it’s a feature on most of the Forerunner watches. Any workout that can be described as warmup + x times something with recoveries + cooldown can be done this way. Each of these (warmup, intervals, recovery, cooldown) can be time, distance or open (lap button press).

2 Likes

Ah that’s cool, just found it on the watch. Defaults to 5x400m. Thanks, don’t think DCR covered that when I went through the 45 reviews :+1:

This probably won’t be the last Garmin noob question I ask :smiley: Ive never had a running watch at all in fact, just the AW.

2 Likes

It’s really quite handy. You can do time or distance. For example, you can do 4x400m, 3 mins recovery. This feature is on pretty much all FR watches since the dawn of times (it was on the FR305). It’s not on the Vivo/Venu family.

One of the things I use this for is easy runs with strides at the end. I’ll set an open warmup, and 8x15s, 45s recovery. The easy run is the “warmup”, and when I’m ready to do the strides series I hit the lap button.

For any workout that can be done this way, I’ll set the intervals the night before, and select workout/intervals in the morning when setting out.

2 Likes

You can do it from the phone… Or i think you can sync Wo from tp to Garmin and to watch…

1 Like

Old entry level Garmin didn’t had this… But now every watch have this… I think they also track swimming, but I may be mistaken…

1 Like

They have it on the “running” watches. It’s notably absent from the Venu. Having both an FR230 and a Venu, I tried the latter as a running watch; I liked it as long as it was dark outside when I ran, but the need to activate the backlight every time made it tedious. My old 230 is a lot more legible daytime. It’s back in action.

Funny tidbit: I go run with the FR 230 for an hour, and then switch to the Venu for the rest of the day. The steps count makes its way from one watch to the other vis Garmin Connect, but not the “active minutes”. I really don’t care that much, but it shows the gaping holes in Garmin integration.

2 Likes

This! Super handy and super quick.