TR Power Gets "stuck" ... cadence and time keep on moving

Hey all,

When you reach out with a bug report through our Support Channels, it actually gives us a more complete view of the problem since our agents have the ability to cross-reference the symptoms you are experiencing with other bug reports/ issues we have on file. By channeling all these reports through Support, it allows us to internally organize all instances of a bug, which helps our Developers to see a more complete view of what is going on.

Jeremy, one of our Developers, is looking into this issue right now, so if you are experiencing this problem and have not reported it, we would really appreciate the additional data points :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I have had this recently. 4 ant devices, but only the kickr ever disconnects. (Others are V3, HR and cadence) Ant receiver 10" from machine.

Spoke with TR support who were really helpful. Suggestion was bluetooth devices, so switched off phone BT. That seemed to work, but the other day it happened with BT off.

Really not sure what is going on as the situation is so intermittent, does not occur every time, and so is hard to trace. Then I might get 2-3 a session. Switching the trainer off/on restarts that, but its a faff.

Wahoo say it is a TR problem. Rather dismissive.

Anyway my kickr is being replaced for a quite different reason by Wahoo, so will see if it happens with the new one.

Had issue with Taylor, Lecont, & Donner.

Further? Really?
I would’ve thought they needed to be closer, not further… Interesting…

In my case the problem might not just be related to dongle and the trainer:

• I had an AC fan running that was close to the dongle. The fan might be weakly shielded and inteference caused the problem.
  • I live in an apartment and 2.4Ghz is pretty occupied by myself (WLAN / bluetooth audio) and also by other people.
    No matter what it was, it’s stable now.

I had this issue and reached out to support… they came back with the below advice and thankfully the issues have never happened since:
• Closeout of all other apps on your device during your workouts
• Closeout of/force quit TrainerRoad after you’ve completed and saved your training session.
• Turn off all other devices that you do not need during your workouts
• Ensure that Battery-Saver Mode is disabled before starting your workouts
• Ensuring that your device is either fully charged, or plugged in before your workouts are recommended as well

I usually also close out TR app and restart before each workout

1 Like

When you guys say “gets stuck”, is it just the on screen number, or the actual training resistance?

Since November, my trainer (Tacx Neo) disconnects almost every ride (ant+). What the happens is whatever erg wattage/resistance it was at when it disconnects, it sticks to. So if I’m doing a 1’ vo2 and it disconnects at 55secs, my trainer will be stuck at that huge resistance until it recconects or I stop and manually reconnect it. So my 1’ interval turns into 2’ or whenever I get pissed off enough to stop pedaling or it reconnects. Does that make sense? Never happened before late November.

1 Like

What Kickr do you have? I have a Core and similar issues as you. It will just disconnect for about 15s and then it will be fine. HR monitor never disconnects. Doesn’t happen every workout.

I’m using Windows 10 laptop, TR via bluetooth.

I had a problem with a fan too, when it was plugged into the same double socket as the trainer. Unfortunately it seems that wasn’t the only issue for me.

That mighy help some, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the issue in my case. I run TR from my android phone with inbuild ant+ (always close TR fully after workouts). I have a taxc flow, stages PM and garmin HR connected via ant+. I don’t own any bluetooth devices and bluetooth is off on my phone. (I can turn it on and connect to the trainer, but still get the same problems). There aren’t any other devices running nearby, apart from a fan, so I don’t think signal overload is the problem.

My next step currently is to buy high-quality batteries for the PM in case the ones I have a some sort of bad batch and cause the PM to lose connection.

@PhydomiR I have Kickr Core (replacement just arrived for loose screw). Windows 10. Ant+ for TR and everything. Nothing over bluetooth. Garnin V3 pedals, HR and cadence sensor. All over Ant+.

I now watch TR “Connected devices” and see the Kickr drop away. If I stop exercise, go to “Devices” I see the Kickr sits in “Trying to connect”. Does not reconnect after 15s like yours. I have to be more radical.

1 Like

That’s exactky the same issue I’ve got but with my kikr core. It’s seams it’s not a trainer problem but a TR problem. Some days it doesn’t have any problem at all. Other days only happens once or twice and occasionally it does several times during a training.

And this happens to me also since the end of November or beggining of December. Maybe related to some update made back then.

@Gbjork – in my experience, i might be in a ‘recovery’ period peddling away at 100 watts and when the profile says to jump to 180, the screen jumps but the resistance doesn’t change. Time continues to accumulate and cadence remains accurate.

Once I posted this + got (great) support from the Forum and from the TR team, I unpaired/repaired and all was well. I can’t believe i didn’t think of it myself.

1 Like

Man, I’ve unpaired, repaired, tried Bluetooth, etc. I’ve used both my PC and Tablet. Happens no matter what I do. Again, this never happened prior to November. I’m out of ideas… and getting very frustrated.

2 Likes

The same here. I reported in January to TR, made some changes as they’ve suggested and sometimes is better but the issue is still there. At that time we thought it was an issue with my trainer. And I’m thinking in reporting it to wahoo but with your post now I’m sure it’s not a kikr core problem. You’ve got a different trainer and it’s exactly the same problem. I’m going to quote your post if you don’t mind to TR support and tell them the problem is common even with different trainers. Maybe now they can see some problem. I’d just like to try with another app for a couple of times like zwift to make sure the problem doesn’t happen outside TR but as I’m following a TR plan I don’t won’t to go on to zwift just for that at this time.

That’s the damn problem. Sometimes just happens once or twice and other a lot. Today I must have disconnected and reconnected manually around 10 to 15 times in 1h20 of practice. Really coming to the point that’s interfering with the execution of the planned session.

1 Like

I’ve tried closer and further away from the trainer. It’s the same. And what you say it’s against one of the suggestions made by TR.

I’ve got 3 devices and I see power number going away and passing on to having only 2 devices connected. Even if I leave it to try and recconect the device for a couple of minutes it never recconects by itself. The power is stuck on whatever resistance it was before disconnecting until I manually disconnect and recconect the power again.
It also is a problem since late November or beggining of December.

TR should have a look on updates made back then.

Had the same issue again today. KICKR core, Favero Assioma Duo, ant dongle. Had to completely shut everything off and essentially toss my workout in the trash

I’ve had a similar issue on my 2018 Kickr in Erg mode being contolled by a Windows 10 PC via Bluetooth. The weird part is that it is intermittent, but when it happens, it is very consistent. Say an interval starts. The “target power” on the screen will go up. But, the “interval power” (readout of my actual power) on the screen will not, and the actual resistance will not change either. The delay is always about 10 seconds, when it occurs. It can occur both on increases and decreases in power.

It has happened for a very long time, but it seems to happen more frequently of late. On long intervals, it doesn’t bother me much. But, I did Clark last night, and it happened on a few of the high-wattage stomps. Since they are 12-seconds long, and the start was delayed by 10 seconds, I was getting about 2 seconds of the desired resistance when it occurred.

1 Like

Also had some issues recently with my Kickr Core, ant+, Win 7. First one was no power control in the beginning of a ride, power got “stuck” to some low value and I think the trainer was lost from the devices. Couple times power was not being controlled after a cooling period between intervals, after some 10s started working again. Since starting using TR some months ago never had any issues before.

If you open a ticket with TR they can look at your logs. It helps them see the problem and work to fix it

Sheila

1 Like