The Podcast - Too much biology?

Stay the course! I’ve been on TR since early beta and have listened to every podcast thus far. I suspect if the newer listeners would start from the very beginning they’d also be ready for some deeper dives. There’s a lot of great info in there. Keep it coming!

4 Likes

3hd9la

1 Like

Yes I agree. As a biochemist, I sometimes find the links drawn between microscopic, cellular processes and overall exercise physiology troublesome. While the biochemical processes discussed may be correct, it is much too big of a leap to draw conclusions on broader topics like exercise and nutrition. Furthermore the “studies” mentioned should always be viewed skeptically. They often quote research articles but these can influenced by an incomprehensible array of variables and be published long before there is any sort of scientific consensus on the field.

6 Likes

I have had concerns about this myself. But then, I am entertained. :slight_smile: I generally find the “deep dives” fun, but I still eat unsweetened cocoa powder in my oatmeal for breakfast. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Good question Supermurph19. I believe the “biology” deep dives are a great feature of TR’s podcasts. One of the pillars of the scientific method is its empirical repeatability. That is, all things being equal, if Chad says doing plan “X” will enhance your power output on the bike then doing that plan as it is set out will indeed enhance your power, my power or anyone’s for that matter because of the science that underpins every workout in their training plans.
So when the boys start talking science it fills me with confidence that they didn’t just pull this stuff out of a hat. That’s exactly why my hard earned goes to TrainerRoad rather than a competitor.

2 Likes

Some interesting points of view here, the views clearly depicting the population quite well. To be clear I don’t mind the physiology deep dives, I just felt they’d taken over somewhat.

I’m not convinced that there are more takeaways from these deep dives as there would be from getting into the weeds of “training journeys” for instance, so I think where I’m aiming here is just to just level out the content. This is of course based on perception but this seems to have been backed up by many.

And to reiterate, I fully respect the work put in to make the podcast so slick.

1 Like

I’m on the fence over this. I wonder whether having two different types of episode would work. One would be deep dives focusing on questions around a specific topic, and others would be labelled more as quick-fire Q&A sessions.

Basically, I’d keep listening if they kept the deep dives and I’d keep listening if they dropped them.

Either way, I think it’s worth commending the OP on the manner in which the topic was raised. It was a model of constructive and honest feedback, and a refreshing change after some of the whining and downright rude complaints that have been posted on this forum.

5 Likes

Really disagree with this. I don’t race, and don’t do mtb, don’t do triathlon, so I could say the same about race tactics or mtb set up or Ironman fuelling.

It has to be a broad base, to reflect the user base of trainerroad. The nutrition aspect is something that covers all disciplines (and none). And wider health.

2 Likes

The podcasts are fantastic. I look forward to every new episode. Some are better than others, as to be expected. No, you certainly can’t please everyone.

My only definitive opinion is ABSOLUTELY ignore any suggestion to make them shorter. How on Earth that makes any sense, I don’t understand. As far as I’m aware, most semi functioning humans can use a pause button… if it’s too long, use said button.

Give us deep dives, short dives, nutrition, race analysis, tactics and whatever else you like.

Given it’s free and without the painful advertising of many competing podcasts, I’m amazed people have found anything to warrant actual complaint.

Personally, I really could care less about gear, as that’s truly done to death all across the internet. I’d much rather be entertained with your usual banter than hear about which carbon rim will supposedly make us an utterly insignificant amount faster.

Focus on human performance, mind and body.

6 Likes

I don’t mind the Deep Dives, they aren’t that deep, just more in-depth than a cursory “You need eight hours sleep a night” sort of comment and while I may not be interested in the particular topic right now it may well be something that I’d like to come back to if I’m having problems in that area at a future point.

It’s the nature of a general podcast/show that there’ll be some sections that are of little or no interest to each of us. Listening live you don’t get a chance to avoid them but once the show notes are up it’s relatively easy to skip to the bit or bits you are interested in.

I’d like to see case studies of “normal” TR users - there was a user interview in episode 182 and the set of Kona athletes (which I’ve yet to listen to so they may have covered what I’m about to suggest) - things like: how do they fit TR into their lives; prior experience of structured training; goals; etc.

I watch the podcasts via YouTube and the channel history only goes back about 100 episodes so I don’t know if there were case study episodes before then. I’m not sure if this is TrainerRoad removing them or it’s a YouTube limitation/policy.

2 Likes

I personally really like the deep dives. I was terrible in science as a student, but Chad’s presentation and enthusiasm for these things really engages me. I feel like I’ve learned a tremendous amount compared to my school days and I love that part of the podcast. Hearing more things about how to use the plans has been addressed ad nauseam at this point.

I see a bunch of posters above said they’d prefer an article format, but I can say with absolute certainty that I’d never read that kind of thing. It would be far too dry written out than spoken in the way Chad talks about it. I would open the article in another tab thinking it sounds cool and that I should read it, but then I’d close it a week later because it was taking up wasted space. At least with the podcast, I know that I’ll consume the information and learn something.

4 Likes

True.

However, technological advancement is part science and part guesswork. Sports science didn’t get to where it is today strictly through science. In fact, many aspects of engineering are the result of great ideas based on real science followed by countless (and ongoing) iterations of trial and error.

2 Likes

Respectfully 100% disagree. That said I have a degree in biochemistry and practice anesthesia. Chads deep dives are a fantastic review of the research. If any of you have tried to comb research and come to conclusion you would understand what a task this is. In my field you can’t just make a claim without substantial evidence to support it. These deep dives are just that the evidence to support opinion / recommendations. Keep the bar high Chad

4 Likes

I’m pro-deep-dive. Where I digress is when the deep dives are on niche issues that don’t apply to the vast majority of us. Anemia, really? Am I in an unknown minority of people who haven’t had anemia? That was one I could’ve done without.

For what it’s worth they’ve already had Ray Maker on and it was just a couple of months ago in early September. See episode 219.

2 Likes

Hear, hear! Let’s champion Chad’s efforts to educate us and keep the bar high! There are far too many examples of " stupid is as stupid does" in cyberspace. Johnathan, Nate and Chad are an example of how good podcasts can be. Together they have in my opinion managed to get the blend of education, information and entertainment right.

6 Likes

Apologies in advance for this long winded post.

I like the deep dives but, for my pee brain, it takes a lot of concentration to understand what is being said. There is a lot of content covered in only a short amount of time. I really appreciate the research and thought that goes into it but I do struggle sometimes to take it in and have to rewind sometimes to listen to it over again. But I do take away knowledge bombs for future reference. TrainerRoad podcasts has a pretty diverse audience from doctors and engineers to plebs like me.

Say for instance you ask me at random what did I take away from the last pod casts:

1. @Nate_Pearson is getting balloons inserted into his nostrils because his sinus has been plaguing him for a long tome now. Best of luck with this Nate hope it helps you out. I will never forget this topic :slight_smile:

2. Calcium is not derived just from milk. See beans, spinach and all the other goodies we can get this from. This is actually very relevant for me and my wife now so that was a great topic

3. Rollers are great training for ironing out flaws in your pedalling. Use the hips and go fast not slow

4. Don’t train sick. diminished returns. I took a couple days based on just this conversation rather than train through and it kept me on track

2 Likes

I’m not anti deep dive, but I do find a bit of irony when looking at the broad picture.

It’s motto is “Get Faster” and has included the basic qualification of “How does this make you faster?” for new app features at least. Not sure if that applies to the podcast, blog and such?

I mention it because there is an emphasis on keeping things simple in the app, as evidenced by the deliberate choice to use minimal tracking and leave out the TSB, ATL and lots of other abbreviations. They choose to pick out targeted info that is actionable in most cases.

In that light of K.I.S.S., the deep dives go well past the basic info we need to get the benefit from the content. We can all pick up on the takeaways that they usually offer in summary.

The DD’s do serve to illuminate the actual reasons behind the choices they make in the workouts, training plans, nutrition, and other recommendations. Maybe it’s a validation of sorts too? Good for those that want to get the full background, but not essential to get the benefits.

6 Likes

This is one of the reasons I like the deep dives. I particularly like the ones that delve into the physiology behind the plans (and training in general). It helps me stay motivated and keeps me engaged.

1 Like

100% into the deep dives.
It’s a wonderful counter to the simplicity that’s inherent within the program.

-T-

1 Like