Ted Lasso Discussion Thread

As far as I know this is the last season and was meant to be the last season. I’m ok with a (mostly) happy ending. They have become quite rare these days, a lot of TV shows are just too dark for my taste.

1 Like

Beard showing up at Nate’s, I think, was mostly to finally give us the Beard-Ted backstory. Which was pretty rad, IMO.

And, of course, it will let Nate take over for Ted when Ted bags it for Kansas.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was pretty amazing. And it fit quite well. The rings under his eyes, his high-tension personality, his unwavering loyalty to Ted. That was spectacular writing, I think the writers really got who Coach Beard is.

That makes sense to me, it is the natural evolution of his story arc.

1 Like

Was just talking about this. This is literally the only show on right now that gives you hope that there are genuinely good people in the world. I’m fine with a happy ending. We need a win!

5 Likes

Yeah. Before that my go-to was The Good Place. The ending of the show was masterful, happy, sad and fitting for all characters. It seems that the writers are on track to do the same with Ted Lasso.

I’m also ok with the show ending now. Can you imagine how kickass e. g. Homeland would have been if they had ended the show after one season?

During the pandemic with two deaths in my immediate family, I had enough dark comedy, dark heroes and the like.

2 Likes

So…you don’t think there will be a new season without Ted, but you do think there will be a season without Ted? :smiley:

I think they’ve possibly been cheeky with “this is the last season of Ted Lasso”…but maybe not the last season of AFC Richmond, or at least for some of the characters.

1 Like

This show was supposed to be three seasons, but that decision was made before it became such a huge hit. Companies don’t have a good track record of walking away from $-printing franchises, so I’m sure they will keep pumping out season after season of Ted Lasso until, years from now, this thread is all about how great Ted Lasso used to be.

And yes, I realize my cynicism is in stark contrast to the cloying optimism the show presents :).

2 Likes

Series finales are always tough… but this one was about perfect for the show. Characters grew throughout the series, Richmond finally got a team to root for and each character got their wins. Great show… great writing.

5 Likes

I just finished it a few seconds ago. I thought the finale was excellent, in line with the show, with heart and extremely well-executed.

The first scene is pure Ted Lasso gold. The underwear! :rofl: Even the cast’s own goodbye was nicely woven into the story. Pacing was just right, the emotional scenes (and there were a lot) just hit the right notes in my brain. Wonderful.

5 Likes

I’m not crying, You are!

Loved every second of it!

7 Likes

I enjoyed it, but I didn’t like the time jump. I’d have preferred to see Ted tell Rebecca he was leaving and see Nate come ask Ted for a job. A minor complaint. All in all, I enjoyed the goodbyes.

Great show over the years. Just what we needed at just the right time.

5 Likes

Uplifting.

Believe.

8 Likes

Whistle. WHISTLE!

9 Likes

Fuuuuuudge

7 Likes

Made me laugh every time.

4 Likes

Addendum: I love that the first scene isn’t fully explained. We are as clueless as the cleaner at the end of the episode. A lesser show would feel compelled to spell it out for the audience (which would ultimately be more disappointing than whatever our imagination running wild can conjure up).

3 Likes

Not gonna lie…I really wish Trent Crimms book was an actual thing…

10 Likes

Anyone catch the nod to Dwight & Michael from The Office when Nate is introduced as “assistant kit man” and Nate comes up and says “assistant ‘to the’.

Nice Easter Egg.

Also loved how the Roy Kent relationship we all thought the story was (Keely) was really about Roy & Jamie becoming friends. Well done.

7 Likes

What do you all think about the “future” shown for the characters? Was that Ted dreaming or was it real? I think it’s real, but then the backwards time jump is weird. I guess with Rebecca thing it has to be real because presumably Ted knows nothing about the Dutch guy.

Although the show is named after Ted, it isn’t really “about” Ted, just like he said the book isn’t. I think they could do another series that either follows the Richmond men’s team (could keep every character but Ted or even change up a few people) or do the women’s team, which would only keep Rebecca, Keely and maybe Higgins.

Also, IMO Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca) is the best actor on the show.

1 Like

I thought it was real. At first I thought it weird a (former) premier league coach now coaching his son’s youth team but then it was a call back to his conversation with Trent about coaching for the love of it and not for the money. And there was a call back to that in the previous episode with the Man City coach post game hand shake.

I would love to see how Roy evolves into a head coach and how Nate and Beard are without Ted around but in the end it wouldn’t be the same without Jason Sudeikis. Kinda like the Office without Michael Scott. Still good but it felt off.

1 Like