Ted Lasso Discussion Thread

Keely going back to work for Rebecca too? Jack was her financial sponsor.

Has Rebecca worked through all the things the psychic predicted? I’m not sure. Would have been nice to have a few reminders.

1 Like

Rebecca having a child… and the green matchbook that Sam had at his restaurant and most recently Ted pulled out of his pocket.

And what happened to the therapist Ted was seeing. Last seen she was hooking up with a rugby player down under? Why even show that… she already moved on to a new job.

PS. We better see the viral espn Ted Lasso dance (really the what’s up with that dance from SNL) with the whole team at the end of the season. We’ve been waiting 3 seasons!

1 Like

Ted Lasso is back baby! Season one energy… nice to see the focus return to the pitch and the locker room.

1 Like

Yes :+1:

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed the last two, one episode to go…

2 Likes

Episode 9 was incredible and the last 2 have definitely set-up the finale while wrapping things up . Still a few things to check off the list! The whole episode led up to the short scene of Jamie’s Dad in rehab, which made my wife lose it. Great scene.

Can’t wait to see how it all ends!

3 Likes

Last night Sam and Rebecca shot each other a look on movie night, but I’m not holding my breath for them to get back together.

1 Like

Loved Pep’s cameo!

1 Like

There’s a lot of criticism online over the longer format. I’ll admit I haven’t loved every episode but I strongly prefer them extending the episodes to try and squeeze it in vs the whiplash whirlwind I felt in final season of GoT.

The 2 standout episodes of the season so far in my household were Sunflowers (Amsterdam) and Mom City.

While there was probably a lot of foreshadowing, I’ve been somewhat rubbing it in my household that I called in the first or second episode of this season that the series finale arc would be Nate redemption taking over for Ted as he moves back to Kansas.

3 Likes

Man, ever since you guys started ragging on the current season I cant get it out of my head. The show really lacks direction now…15 different story lines that each lack any kind of real intrigue or depth. I still like it…but this seems to be the path of most shows now. 1-2 good, hard hitting, novel, fresh seasons…then just try and hang on.

Crazy it ends next week! Most of my predictions have come true, but I didn’t expect Nate to get welcomed back so easily. Beard showing up and telling his story changed my mind about liking the idea of Nate coming back to Richmond.

4 Likes

There were some needless filler & detours… such as Zava and the Keeley/Jack thing. But the last four episodes I feel have been on par with season 2 at least. Same writers also did Shrinking and I think some energy this season was diverted there. A slow start but they are finishing strong IMO.

2 Likes

I am enjoying season 3. Yes, it has a different vibe, especially as it seems to go well for most of the characters. (Since I’m not sure whether I can spoil things here, let me err on the side of being vague.)

I reckon some people are reacting to things seemingly going very well for almost everyone in Season 3, and some people might not like that the show turned a bit too saccharine. Even Rupert got a brief moment where he wasn’t a complete jerk.

Overall, the series is still very strong. I really enjoyed the Amsterdam episode, one of the best episodes of the entire series if you ask me. The interaction between Coach Beard and the new kit man at the very end (“Don’t tell Jan Maas!”) is absolutely golden. I also liked the subtle nods, e. g. Jamie Tart picking 24 as his number on the English national team. It really shows an affection between the players.

What feels a bit less accomplished is that many (but not all) of the mini story arcs have not been integrated into the overall story very well. The Zaza bit felt weird, because he’s now not even mentioned. I reckon a player like him would have left a serious hole for longer. Colin’s coming out was done well, but it is no longer mentioned or hinted at. That could be a choice to normalize it, but on the other hand, they could have just woven in Colin’s boyfriend into the story (just as a background character who is there as a matter of course). I kinda wish they left the Zaza arc on the story board cutting room floor. I think the writers are struggling to wrap everything up within the time budget they have had (kinda like the last season of The Expanse, where individual bits were as epic as ever, but the pace was frenetic and unrelenting).

Thinking about it, I believe they needed the Zava storyline to help with Jamie’s character arc. He witnessed Zava putting himself first on the pitch and how that didn’t benefit the team. Jamie would need to change who he was to grow and make the team better.

1 Like

While I’m sure there were other ways they could have gotten there, I also didn’t think the Zava arc was pointless. At the point he was introduced the team has been struggling for multiple years, with the expectation of relegation clearly established in episode 1.

The Zava arc was a moral parable about the folly of seeking shortcuts to success vs putting in the hard work necessary to build a foundation of long term success. Their bandaid solution masked the real issue with the team, their continued over-reliance on a single star player instead of playing as a team. By providing a quick but brittle fix, it ultimately delayed their evolution into an actual competitive team.

Loosely tying it back to cycling, we talk a lot about brittle fitness on these boards with certain training techniques providing gains that come but also go quickly. Anyone who’s been training for a number of years knows there’s no real hack to success, you need to put in the long term work to create a foundation for success and only once that is established can you really sharpen specific energy systems to specialize as needed for your chosen discipline.

3 Likes

Good points @tgarson and @JT_34. Im now team Zava.

1 Like

Totally agree with pretty much everything here.

The Amsterdam episode was great.

I think Lasso…The Expanse…most good shows that find something that works…to extend the show long term writers just keep adding more and more stories. Sometimes it works…often they just get cluttered and piled on top of each other and never properly expanded upon. I guess that’s my issue with Lasso right now…I would have preferred just 1 or two main story arcs that the show really focused on…say Jamies growth/friendship with Roy.

It currently sort of feels like every character in this band is being given a turn at a drum solo, and then on to the next character. They’re good…and worth watching…but there isnt that fantastic, cohesive feel to the story anymore.

3 Likes

I really thought Nate was going to have to crawl back and apologize much more than he did.

1 Like

I think it is because the writers and creators have to rush through the story. I would have preferred if they had cut e. g. the Zaza arc and given that transformation more time.

I have to say, I was team “too many story lines”, but this last episode was fantastic in my book. As cheesy as it is for everything to have a happy ending, this IS Ted Lasso, after all. I’m very happy with to how it’s gone.

Now…will there be a next season with Nate as Coach?

3 Likes