Tacx Neo Smart Bike (dedicated bike)

I had missed @dcrainmaker’s post, thanks. That helps with the adjustments.

I’m not sure this is good enough. It’d be nice if they included, say, two sets of markers or “stoppers”, which would allow you to quickly adjust the fit from Rider 1 to Rider 2. With “stoppers” I mean a mechanism that either increases the resistance as you move, say, the “stem” across the “marker” or blocks movement outright. Or alternatively, these markers act as hard limiters of movement where either “extreme” corresponds to the setting of one rider.

1 Like

The flex in the video is simply because someone didn’t tighten the lever. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So everything is reasonably rigid and stiff, and you don’t need to worry about ripping your stem out when doing sprint efforts or out-of-the-saddle efforts then?

1 Like

Hey Ray,

You going to drop us a full review of this bad boy?

And do you know if it has the 2T or 2 internals?

@mcneese.chad - that’s one sharp eye. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah but… you can’t ride the Tacx outside?

1 Like

I’ll likely drop a review late next week of it, assuming I can get confirmation real-world people have started to receive bikes.

I’ve had it for…a really long-ass time.

6 Likes

Looking forward to it. I’ve already devoured the Elite Direto X review during my lunch break. Yum.

My fiance is looking into doing Peloton. This would be a nice thing to have (or the Wahoo bike) if it is compatible. If two people are using it then I can see it being very useful.

1 Like

We have a a Peloton. Adjustment between riders is simple and takes maybe 30 seconds. You just need to know your numbers. Pedals are more difficult as my wife is an SPD-SL rider and I’m Speedplay. I’m sure the Tacx bike will be the same. I actually think $3,200 isn’t too bad a price considering it replaces 2 or more rider’s bikes and a trainer. Looking forward to Ray’s review.

2 Likes

having just read the stages bike review this seems to be $1000 more than the stages?!?!

I hadn’t really thought about the fact that the majority of the noise in a high end trainer setup is from the drive train. The Neo Smart Bike gets rid of that completely, so it’s probably whisper quiet.

2 Likes

There is no way you could convince me to use a Stages product ever again after having owned one of their power meters.

3 Likes

Now that Wahoo has revealed their bike, only Elite seems to be missing (well, technically they are already selling one since last year …). The Wahoo looks like an alien space ship, a “naked robotic core” of a smart bike. There are no attachments for screens or built-in (tiny) fans. However, it does feature elevation control … interesting.

• I like the concept of a “naked” bike, there is plenty of space for other things to put underneath or so.
  • Space for just one bottle, sigh. (Is nobody at Garmin and Wahoo HQ drinking any water? Or do they just have 30-60-minute workouts?)
  • It seems to have a round seat post, which means you will have to align the saddle. Why not make it D-shaped, so that you can’t misalign it?
  • In @dcrainmaker’s video, the frame seems a bit flexy during sprints. (Although there was no mention of that.)
  • Working brakes … clever.
  • It seems you can use your handlebars of choice, which some people will appreciate (as long as they are drop bars).
  • Oh, and there is the price. At this point arguing Tacx vs. Wahoo is like arguing Ferrari as a Porsche with your class mates in primary school. :upside_down_face:
3 Likes

I think you’ll find that a good belt drive bicycle and smart trainer will cost you roughly the same as these.

Stationary bikes with high quality power meters and virtual shifting that is benchmarking against Di2 are going to be costly.

It’s not like these are easy to engineer, build, test, ship, and maintain at scale.

4 Likes

I use a road bike with Di2, never shift though, with a Neo Smart trainer and I’m planning on upgrading to a Smart Bike next season for sure. I usually don’t ride my road bike outside but it would sure be nice to cut down on maintainence of it.

1 Like

Er, exactly? For a third of a price of my road bike I get a trainer and save wear and tear and having to hook it up and dismount.

1 Like

By the way, I noticed that in Tacx’s ad the Smart Bike throws an error message … hmmm.

2 Likes

I see. You and I have very different prices bikes…

2 Likes

They seem to make a big deal about shifting. I’ve only ever used ERG mode where you “shift” by changing your cadence. Are they implicitly saying that resistance mode with manual shifting is better for training?

Edit: Oh silly me, now I remember. Racing in Zwift.

1 Like

And any other sim based app like Rouvy, Fulgaz, etc. A smart bike needs to shift, or it is just an ergometer with more limited applications.