Anyone have the Neo 2T?

If so what are you opinions? Also vs other trainers or maybe the n1/2 you had?

On paper the 2T is great with the fix for ā€˜virtual tyre slipā€™ and real thru-axle support.

In practice it needs taming in ERG mode (too aggressive) and the power accuracy Iā€™ve found across multiple 2T units isnā€™t up to the standard of the original Neo 1. N=3. YMMV. I need the 2T to be at the same level as the Neo 1 before I switch to it as a baseline for power meter comparisons. If they can explain/resolve the power issues Iā€™m seeing then itā€™d be a brilliant trainer.

14 Likes

Thanks @GPLama . I tried a friends N1 this weekend and is a pretty awesome trainer but got virtual wheel slip and could not buy a trainer that does that. It might have been just his trainer but was in the little cog and lower cadence 65-70 at 250 watts and got the slip every-time.

I have been contemplating between a N2T or Kickr 18. I was initially thinking of buying a core or h3 but my theory is usually buy once, cry once as I tend to keep things over a long period

@GPLama Iā€™m waiting for the follow up video giving the 2T the all clear before I buy it. Luckily, Iā€™m down under as well and the weather is on the improve so no rush from me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too. Iā€™m struggling to get it lining up with everything else I know and trustā€¦ Itā€™s another rabbit hole Iā€™m down. Tacx have been really good in trying to work out whatā€™s happening. Weā€™re down to trying to isolate the bike/TA interface/hub/bearings/load/etc. It has been funā€¦ kind of. :confused:

If youā€™re down here then theyā€™re not showing up until Feb 2020. Or next hard waste here in Ballarat :wink:

4 Likes

I am returning my Neo 2T in favor of the 25% off REI deal for the H3.

The Neo 2T is pretty sweet for Zwift and the native thru axle support is great for swapping bikes quickly.

However, my main focus is TR and @GPLama and @dcrainmaker were spot on about the erg mode being super harsh. For me the worst is actually at the end of a vo2max interval, it feels like your chain fell off if you arenā€™t anticipating the near instant drop of resistance.

I was getting used to how it does erg mode but I just couldnā€™t justify the price difference over the H3 considering in my case Zwift is usually running in the background with TR controlling the trainer.

4 Likes

The 2T lines up with my Vectors pretty much spot on (compared to my 2017 Kickr). Have Tacx said anything about your ERG mode feedback?

Not much mentioned on ERGā€¦ I need to see the power numbers tighten up first. The Neo BIKE is bang on for power numbers, confirming my testing and other meters are good. The 2T continues to play hardball, or softball, or 2tee-ballā€¦ Iā€™m over in the Netherlands next week, and talking to Tacx directly. I really REALLY want the 2T to replace my 2016 Neo that still rules the Lama Lab! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I replaced my Neo 2 and foundit very aggressive during threshold and Vo2Max intervals. I even had to lower the intensity sometimes.

Does anyone have @GPLama and @dcrainmaker 's video link?

@GPLama I saw your video on Pioneer reading low. Do you also experince it on Neo? My Pioneer reads 10 watts lower than my Neo while doing threshold and any above workouts.

Regards

I replaced my NEO 1 with a NEO 2T and continued to train with the exact same FTP, so no ā€œunderestimationā€ issues there for me, at least from what I can tell by RPE.

I would describe it as ā€œmore responsiveā€ and not as ā€œmore aggressiveā€ compared to the NEO 1.

The only issue I had: the left/right cadence sensor (introduced with the NEO 2 series) was not compatible with my MTB setup, I needed to extend my left crank. Tacx provided me with an extension set, but I prefer my DIY solution.

Itā€™s pretty boring, it just works.

3 Likes

Record the Neo and Pioneer with x2 Garmin or Wahoo units while in steady-state ERG. Check your L/R balance in something like the DCR Analyzer.

I have Pioneer CA600 where I can see L/F power readings.

when I do TR workouts, lets say at 320Watts, I see that while TR reads my power at 320 watts when connected to NEO directly, Pioneer is at around 310.

I will record again see it with DCR Analyzer.

Thanks

You should be able to export as a FIT file from the Pioneer Cyclo-Sphereā€¦ but last time I did that the L/R readings were flipped.

The numbers youā€™re quoting are bang on what Iā€™ve seen across the board.

2 Likes

:))) Yeah they have funny web site. They also run out of space on servers last week. They were not even aware of it :slight_smile: Sent them an email and they thanked me for informing them :slight_smile:

The numbers youā€™re quoting are bang on what Iā€™ve seen across the board.

Sorry, having English as a second language, not sure if I understand well :frowning:

1 Like

This has been my impression as well. I have a gen 1 Kickr and Neo 1 that I had been training on. I switched to the Neo 2T for my road bike and use the Neo 1 for my TT bike now.

With the caveat that I use power match, I have continued to train with the same FTP and have had no concerns with the power output. RPE and exectution of intervals seems spot on. The lack of wheel slip is really a game changer in certain types of workouts. As for the responsiveness in erg mode, I like the way it is implemented. It maybe because I use power match, but it doesnā€™t feel like a wall, but it is a much more solid transition, where on the Neo 1 it was a more gradual on/off over a few seconds.

Other than the whole cadence issue thing that was resolved with firmware .32, I am really happy I bought it.

This is what I was looking for as I liked the feel of neo1 that I rode but could not deal with the wheel slip long term.

Oh, 12:30am posting and I turn into a real Aussie.

If youā€™re seeing -10W on the Pioneer power meter and itā€™s a L/R Shimano based unit, this is what Iā€™ve seen across 12 or 13 crank sets from almost every similar power meter manufacturer who uses Shimano cranks.

1 Like

:grin::grin::grin:

Thank you.

Yes it is dual side Shimano

I saw your video on it.

Great info. :+1:

1 Like

By the way, I have this evening recordings on both TR and Pioneer.

I will check it tomorrow and publish it here

I did Kern-1 last night using my Neo and Pioneer. Definitely 10 watts different. I wish I had a chance to measure it outside with pedal based PM.