System changed adaptation without my approval. Roll-back possibility?

I had a recommended adaptation, but did not accept as it was given based on wrong data input during my training. While I was discussing with support, the system suddenly changed it, without my approval (and I just noticed by coincidence).
Has anyone else had this issue before? Is there a way to roll back?
I still have the screenshot from the original change, but would like to avoid manual changes.
I am still awaiting feedback from the support desk but since this altered training is tomorrow, I would appreciate an earlier response from the community to test whether a solution to the issue works.
Not a big deal, but would like to know if this is common practice.

Thanks for any advice.

Email TR support: support@trainerroad.com

Or you can read a few sentences.
“I am still awaiting feedback from the support desk”

:thinking: :grimacing:

I was just riding along and then everything just suddenly changed

I think that support will be able to roll you back but there isn’t a way for athetes to do it as far as I’m aware.

I think a manual change is your only option - any reason why you want to avoid it?

Going forward it would be nice to have an “undo” button.

I agree, an undo is always practical, saves a lot of effort on communication (esp. with timezone differences with the US, I live in Europe) and saves their support desk some costs too when users ask for manual amendments.

I don’t have an issue with manual changes (if that was your question), but I am not aware of whether a manual change is a possibility without messing up the algorithms, in particular the existing dataset that leads to further adaptation recommendations.

As it turns out (I just read the support desk’s feedback as I was typing this), indeed I was right in my assumption that manual changes mess things up: if you do not click on “accept adaptations” or choose an alternate session, but change a session manually, then the system will ignore this manual change for future sessions…
I am still in discussion as to the actual implications of this fact (e.g. TSS and IF fully ignored? Progression levels not adjusted? etc.) but that seems like quite a limitation to me, considering one can always have extra sessions or totally divergent ones when the weather turns nice and we go outside for longer rides that are detached from what was planned that day on the home trainer.

:sunglasses:

UPDATE
Heads up on a technical issue which may lead to unwanted adaptation acceptance: if you click on the “Preview” button (the right side of the pop-up for showing Adaptations), you may want to wait for the actual Adaptation screen to pop up, which may take more than just a few seconds (on desktop at least). Failing to do this and clicking a second time will make the system interpret your clicking on the “Accept Adaptations” button even before it shows up. As a result, the suggested adaptations do not pop up, you just get a new training plan, without the ability to backtrack what the changed sessions are. And no option to roll-back, of course.
The issue is of course that we do not know whether we mis-clicked or whether the wait is not an error or just long load-screen.

So beware when clicking on the pop-up!

@AlphaDogCycling FYI, informed the helpdesk about this issue :wink:

2 Likes

Is your original session not listed in alternates? I would have assumed it would have been - or a very similar one at least.

I am not sure whether this would solve the issue, as I got following feedback from the helpdesk :

"Your comment below sums up what happens when workouts are manually added/changed within the plan:

as soon as I do not do the "batch acceptance" of multiple sessions via clicking on the "Accept Adaptations" button, all manual changes will be ignored for future adaptations, even if they are exactly the same as the automatic process? ​
"

The way I interpret this, is that even if I find an alternate and delete the changed session and create the alternate, the system will be ignoring the results of the alternate, as it is a manual input and not an “Accept Adaptations” input. In other words, only the automated acceptance is considered for future adaptations to the plan.

Also, I can do the original ride as per your suggestion, aside from above technical aspect, but purely by coincidence, as I had made a screenshot at the time of the suggested adaptation.
But for lack of a logbook, if you don’t pay attention, the plan changes on a weekly basis or even faster (heck, that’s what AT is about, it’s basically doing its job), so you will have no way of knowing what the original was.

So for anyone not making any screenshots constantly (and who has time for that?..), you just may end up with changes from which you have no idea what to roll back to.

Support are obviously the authority but it is my understanding that if you change the workout via the alternates menu then the link to the plan will be maintained and completion will effect upcoming workouts.

It’s only if you delete the workout and then replace it manually it becomes decoupled.

The key is I only think this works via the “alternates” menu visible when you click into a future workout.

So if I understand you correctly, it is a matter of precedence, not the final change (which may be the same)?
So if I delete the workout first and add the new workout (which can be an alternate), then the session becomes decoupled.
But if I first add the alternate via the training itself and after that I delete the training, it will NOT get decoupled.
We would have to assume then that the original alternate is still listed, which may not always be the case either, especially since a suggested adaptation usually applies something of a different intensity/load.

I had HRM issues resulting in a “failed” session while in fact it went smoothly and I can imagine that depending on how much you’re “off the mark” due to such technical issues, the suggested workout may be off the mark as well to the extent that the alternate may not be suitable anymore. I guess it varies case-by-case of course.