Somehow I have time for more?

I’m sure this has been answered before but I couldn’t find a definitive answer so I thought I’d throw this out there (also I’ve never contributed to a forum before in my life!)

I’m a triathlete and I have been planning to do some bike focused blocks for a while (cycling is definitely my weakest discipline) and a minor ankle injury from running has sparked this further and I’m putting some more time into my cycling over the next few months.

I’m planning on doing sweet spot base 1&2 between now and the new year. I’m going with low volume as a busy (aren’t we all) father of 3/full time job etc.

The thing is though I may have some weeks where I can fit more volume in (with reduced run volume/feeling really motivated right now). Rather than selecting medium volume and failing some weeks though, my hope is to crush low volume. But with extra workouts should I:

a) just move on to the next workout in the plan and potentially finish the plan ahead of schedule?
Or
b) slot in a different workout in addition to the plan? If so what kind of workouts would compliment sweet spot work without hindering quality of prescribed workouts?

Anyone have expierience? Much appreciated :slight_smile:

I would go with B. From what I experienced in TR, the low volume plans aren’t necessarily easy so I think it’s best to go with adding easier workouts first like Petit or Carter.

2 Likes

Do NOT do A. This is not about cramming or finishing early. It’s about building fitness on a schedule.

If you have time to work (AND recover), it’s best to either do longer versions of the workouts, or slot in TSS fillers like suggested above.

1 Like

If you’re going to add onto low volume plans it should be mostly endurance with a little temp thrown in. Don’t add sweet spot or threshold. The low volume plans already cover your intensity.

2 Likes