Skipping base phase 1?

Been training and riding/racing nonstop since November 2017. I’m racing a 50 mile MTB race Sunday then taking two weeks off the bike. I plan to start up again first week of November. My first target event is Sea Otter second week of April. There isn’t enough time to complete Base 1 & 2, Build, and Specialty before the event. I was going to skip Sweet Spot Mid 1 and go directly into Mid 2. I’m carrying a lot of fitness so I should be able to handle the harder workouts of Mid 2 without any problems… Thoughts…Opinions?

Have you done a lot of structured indoor training before? I did something similar a few years back when I joined TR and found SSBII mid volume crushed me about week 3, even though I came in feeling extremely fit. Might be best to try low volume and supplement a bit in the first few weeks and then “upgrade” to mid volume if you find it too easy or find you can handle the TSS.

2 Likes

Yes…been using TR since 2012.

1 Like

In my opinion it would likely depend on when you last did SSB1/2. If it’s been a while, may be good to go back to 1 and reinforce that base and also take a mental break from your non-stop year of racing. Even if that doesn’t 100% match up to Sea Otter, you could always do a lean version of Specialty to refine fitness but cut down on that TSS a bit leading up to it to still match your timeline?

Although another thought, do a few weeks of SSB1 then go into a full SSB2 if you have a little bit of flexibility before Sea Otter. My timings are going to be a bit off for my two main targets and I’m doing exactly that since my last SSB1/2 was relatively recent.

I did SSB 1 mid volume last year before I did a Sufferfest/Training Peaks 12 week plan which actually worked pretty well for me. But I like your idea of doing a few weeks of SSB1 then a few of SSB2.