Should TR provide plans that target intensity zones? [Feature Request]

its really easy if you look outside the standard TR workouts. Join the ‘More Sweet Spot’ team and you’ll find a SST workout for just about every length anyone could ever need!

Only in groups. I thing it is slightly forgotten and not fully utilised part of TR. I assue not many users is using them so TR team left them as they are but it is only way how you can exchange the workouts and there are some pretty decent packs of workouts (like mentioned SST progression group).

My personal opinion is that TR can benefit a little bit more if the addresses the group of people that love to tinker with their own plans and want to experiment a little bit more with their training. It is quite low hanging fruit from technical perspective, as it is based on manual work of users (so not very sexy or good for PR so I understand from business perspective not very high in TR priorities as it still requires some workforce). It could introduce also some clash with TrainingPeaks, cause the requested features could lead to overlapping functionalities. But we can still dream a little bit (yes, new and better workout creator - I am talking about you).

1 Like

Based on basic business principles I’m going to assume TR is focused on a) attracting new users (podcast and website), b) making new users successful to retain them as new subscribers (onboarding experience) and c) making existing users successful to retain them as subscribers (group rides, AT). Success is relative, I achieved some level of success with TR plans but compared to prior self-coaching it capped my fitness. Like any business they primarily prioritize fixes/enhancements on growing and maintaining subscription revenue. So we see a lot of (paraphrasing) “thanks for the suggestion, we are prioritizing features that will make the most number of athletes successful” responses. While I see TR’s position, I stopped dreaming about 18 months ago.

1 Like

This could be a very interesting discussion to be honest, as I am always interested in the business side of any service I use - sometimes more interested than in service itself (the nature of my job…I mean the time I do not try to dream about having all the time in the world to do 20h weeks in Girona), but I think that we will be moderated pretty soon for going off-topic (and rightly) :slight_smile: To keep things short - I agree in principle with you, but in this world, new users retention is probably the main driver behind the evaluation of the company. Keeping user is easier and cheaper, but every brand is building it’s by when they use “we have acquired XXXXX users this year”. But we should not start this discussion till I open my today’s DDH IPA :wink:

1 Like

Yes, off topic and we should stop discussing and not derail the thread.

1 Like

YEP! Thanks, Chad.

1 Like

wouldnt this just be the TT plan?

One place I think this could be really useful is for people who are doing something outside of their usual wheelhouse, either for fitness or just a bit of variety. For example, I’m pretty focused on tri year round, but during the winter I often throw in a v02 or sprint block for a laugh and a bit of a different challenge. Something like the structure you mentioned would be ideal for that- it doesn’t need full plan builder functionality nor the kind of event specificity a build program might provide. Those athletes also might not have the same level of knowledge when it comes to abilities that are typically emphasized less in their training, or require a custom progression to achieve what they’re after- you’re basically just looking to hit it for 4 weeks and get back to whatever it is you were doing.

Given some of TR’s advice on shaking things up occasionally and the emphasis on becoming a well rounded athlete, I think this could fit pretty well into their philosophy.

2 Likes

This has some discussion on Coach Chad’s VO2Max plan at

1 Like