Short Power or General Build Plan for 125 mile Punchy-Climb Gran Fondo?

Looking for some thoughts. I was originally planning to do an Ironman in September, but with all going on that doesn’t look it will happen. Instead I have reset my sights on the Garden State New Jersey Gran Fondo Estremo Route. It is 125 miles with 10,000+ feet of climbing. It’s a very punchy-climb based event with 6-timed climbs. Regarding the Build Phase, I am trying to figure out my Build Phase. I have time for two build phases, so am doing Mid-Volume Short-Power first then planning to do High Volume Short Power for my second Build phase (or drop back and redo the mid-volume if the high volume is too much), then Rolling Road Race for my Speciality.

I am wondering if the Short Power Phase will provide enough long-distance benefit for the distance and terrain. My plan is ride in my Zone 2 to preserve energy as well as take advantage of descents and coasting to tackle these punchy climbs (which there are a lot) which would be more Zones 4 and 5 possibly 6 (threshold, VO2max, anaerobic capacity), or if I should combine a General Build + a Short Power Build to build benefits of both, and have my Rolling Road Race for my Specialization phase.

Thoughts? on this approach given the distance and elevation? Thanks!

1 Like

Without knowing more about the punchy climbs, I’m going to sidestep that question and suggest scheduling a 4-6 hour ride at least 1 weekend a month. Those long rides are in TR’s full distance triathlon plan if you aren’t able to schedule them outside. A lot of benefits to doing long rides.

1 Like

You could do sustained power build and then short power build. Sustained power would help with the 200km nature of the ride and provide a nice spring board for vo2 max in short power.

Also, I would look at climbing road race instead of rolling road race specialty. Rolling road race is a lot of sprint efforts (marking breaks and following sharp accelerations), climbing is more sustained vo2 max efforts, which it looks like this race is gonna be.

1 Like

General or Sustained Power IMO. I did a 104mi rolling course (6kft) on general build last year, no issues. The difference between the plans is that short power drops over-under threshold work in favor of high-power surge/float workouts. With that kind of climbing, you’re probably not needing the repeatability as much as you will the ability to sustain power for minutes at a time.

General is a good build for something like this, IMO, and Sustained would be a better option than Short for this, again IMO.

General → Rolling Road Race would set you up well. Wouldn’t do back-to-back builds, either.

2 Likes

Really good point. I have started to incorporate nice long rides on the trainer and can already see a difference!

1 Like