Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ ANT+ issue

Hello,

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ tablet. I have had issues pairing it with Trainer Road, in that the ANT+ is “off”. When I go to turn it on, it asks for ANT+ dongle. …
I have installed ANT+ radio , etc from Google play.

I have run Trainer Road on my Samsung Galaxy tab S4, and my phone S20 .

My question, has anyone run ANT+ on a Galaxy Tab S5 or Tab S6 ?

I called Samsung and they swear up and down ANT+ is installed. I ran Ant tester, ( as per Trainer Road tech support), and it comes up that ANT+ not build in. Also the Tab S7+ (along with the Tab S5, Tab S6) dont show up on the thisisant directory.

Samsung told me last night that ANT + was not factory installed on my Tab S7+ and I have to send it back. I am wondering if Samsung is trying to pass off ANT+ compatible (with external dongle) vs ANT+ build in. Which would be a step backward from the Tab S4 that I have now.

Now I wont get a new “replacement” Tab S7+ until October, and will have to set it up all over again.

Has any one experienced something similar ?

All help is welcome. Thanks

i know that for my PHONE the galaxy s8 it does have the ANT+ “radio” installed and same thing goes for all the S series up to the recently announced s20 FE.

I don’t know about the tablets though. There were like 6 different model numbers for the TAB S7+ on the samsung website but the one i randomly chose didnt have the connectivity to ANT+

So if you enter your model number under after clicking “mobile devices” and then open up full specs you’ll be able to see what’s what.

But already, not having it show up on the “This is ant” directory probably means it never had it in the first place.
Good luck!

2 Likes

the new s7/s7+ and note 20 do not support ant+ at the moment. fairly certain the radio is physically installed, but the firmware support is not there. for me it’s a complete disaster as i traded in a perfectly good tab s6, which DOES have built in ant+ support, to get the damn s7+. contacted samsung dozens of times and they have no idea. they insist it’s there, so the only thing i can hope is that it’s coming in an update soon

1 Like

FWIW, my Tab A didn’t have ANT+when I bought it even though some models of the Tab A did. After one of the Android updates, it suddenly appeared and works fine. You are probably correct that the ANT+ hardware is already in place and is actually disabled in software.

1 Like

Any updates on the ant+ issue?

Very odd that there is no follow up on such an important (to me) issue.

it’s more than odd it’s extremely annoying. i’ve been bothering samsung for weeks over the issue and they either don’t know what they’re talking about or don’t care. there is no ant+ support on their latest devices and it doesn’t seem to be coming any time soon. frankly, it was the only thing keeping me on the platform, so i may have an ipad pro in my future…

I have an S6.
Ant +connection to Zwift is inconsistent at best. I tried it after blue tooth connection issues - someone used the microwave and I lost where I was in the work out I’d built into Zwift (again). I don’t know what the unstable ant connection to Zwift is caused by yet.
I was able to connect to TR with ant + and the connection seemed stable. I’m going to try it again today.
I’m baffled as to how Samsung would launch S7 without inbuilt ant +. I feel your pain. Is there anyway to get a refund/exchange?
I would have gone for an ipad, but find Apple user unfriendly.

I called Samsung just now, the tech help folks are really clueless about ANT+. I kinda feel annoyed at Samsung, as one of the main reasons I bought the Tab S7+ was to upgrade from my Tab S4. Well I didnt trade it in , when I realized the Tab S7+ couldnt run Trainer road, etc.
So no positive update .

yeah i gave up. there’s just no ant+ support from samsung anymore on new devices. i’m sad (happy?) to say that i’ve made good on my threats and moved to the ipad pro. still no ant+ but a much better device

I have the same problem here. I bought a Tab S7+ in December 2020 to replace my old Tab S2 and tried to pair it with my Garmin Tri HR belt. And surprise… no HR pairing possible, no ant+ connection I guess, on Zwift while it works fine with my S10 lite mobile ?!!
By curiosity, I will try with my S2 by but that’s indeed very weird when “newer means less”…

I hate to say but I am so done with Samsung/Android. I am no fanboy of Apple but they get it right, first time pretty much every time. I am tired of half-assed or no support or update for apps (Garmin), jumping through hoops to get things to work - Android Auto is a big example of this. I get a new iPhone, transfer my apps and info and everything works, Apple Carplay connects right away and works every time, bluetooth devices pair first shot etc etc. Next up will either be the iPad or a Macbook.

How frustrating, I’m expecting delivery of a Galaxy Tab A7 tomorrow (primary reason being to run TR with entertainment on a bigger screen than my S10) and having seen this thread I checked and no ANT+ there either.

I guess I’ll be using my phone for the workout still as, from memory, my P1 pedals don’t give true L/R over bluetooth.

What is it that you are trying to connect to the S7+? I have the same tablet and have had zero issues connecting a Kickr, HR strap, Quarq and or Stages PM/cadence, or Wahoo speed sensor to TR.

On a side note, I use Apple Tv to run Zwift in the background while doing TR workouts and usually have several drops throughout a ride if using more than 1 device. That’s just the bluetooth limitations of Atv. Though running Zwift on my wife’s old ipad air and AirPlaying (screen mirror) to the Atv works flawlessly.

You are connecting via Bluetooth they are trying to connect via ANT+. I was about to go buy a new S7 Tablet as well when I started doing some research and came across this thread. I have an ANT+ HR strap so If I buy the tablet I would have to buy a new Bluetooth HR strap. Both my Wahoo Kickr and my Quarq work on ANT+ and Bluetooth so that is not an issue. I just received and email from TR about not being able to do the new AT on Android 5 or 6 my old Tab S runs on 6 so I was going to go upgrade to the new Tab S7. I think for now I will just use my phone or just finish off my regular training plan on my old tablet and consider my options.

Google devices also seem to have dropped ant+ :person_shrugging:

Android devices can still run ant+ services (and TR) if you get an ant+ dongle (ie same as for PCs & laptops) so it’s annoying but not the end of the world. Bluetooth HRMs are reasonably cheap too.

Not great. I just bought the S7 and didn’t even consider that ANT+ might not work.

And why I need ANT+?
I use the S7 for the TR app, and I also use my Edge 530 in order to record power data, and I have also connected my double channel HRM to the Wahoo Headwind fan, so that’s 3 connections needed. I solved it by connecting the HRM BT channel 1 to the fan, channel 2 to the S7/TR and ANT+ to the Edge so it’s working OK now.