Road cycling event x training plan

Hey TR community,
I have been using TR for about 4 -5months and my FTP increased 29% since then (167w to 215w or 2.3w/kg to 3.36w/kg).
I am pleased with the result.
For 2024, I would like to join races/event but I am not sure where can I start as a solo rider without local community. I have never done an actual race before.
I am located at east coast NJ. I found an event call Suarez Gran Fondo National Series and the website introduction seems that the event is good, but I am not sure.
Does anyone know about this event? if yes, how is it? what is your experience?
Is there other road cycling event that is recommend for east coast?

Second part of question:
If I would like to participate in this Fondo, how should my training plan look like beginning today? I was just doing traditional base training before to get my general status up. If I would target the fondo, they host at 2024 September (and many fondo events from this seires before it with frequency of 1 event per month or every other month), it will be a long time until then. How should I structure my plan to optimize my performance for this series of event?

Thank you all. I appreciated having this cycling community.

1 Like

Hey there and welcome to the TR community!

I haven’t personally done the Suarez Gran Fondo National Series, but it looks like a great series to hop into!

It looks like the Highlands Fondo in NJ is June 2nd, 2024. Ideally, you’d want to get through a full cycle of Base → Build → Specialty before that event, which will usually take about 5-6 months to complete. If you wanted to target the fondo in September, you’d have to push that full cycle back a little.

Fortunately, we have Plan Builder as part of TrainerRoad, which takes care of laying out your training plan for you. :slight_smile:

In general, this time of year for athletes in the Northern Hemisphere is spent enjoying unstructured riding or transitioning back into base training. If you haven’t already, it might be a good idea to take a week or two off from training to rest and recover before jumping back in.

Hope this helps – feel free to ask any additional questions you may have!

1 Like

Hey Zackery,
Thank you very much for the quick feed back.
How long do athletes rest between seasons? Should I stop riding entire December?

To be more specific,
Below is the timeline for the Fondo’s series. Each month has one event.
March, April, Jun, July, August, September (The championship)
If I want to attend 3 events from the series, April, Jun, and September.
If I start my training at Match, which is 6 mouth prior than the biggest event in September, will it be too late for April event?
Maybe I should start even earlier? like Jan? This way I can continuous to train all the way for entire 2024.
Does is sound too much?

Sorry about me mumbling a lot, but the point is that I want to get a big picture of my next training schedule with the series of event in mind.

Thank you again!

I would start a plan with plan builder now. Target September as your A race. Rolling road race is a good specialty to put in the plan. Use the first 2 events as B races. This will give you some idea of what’s involved in racing. These will not be to win but to something to build upon.
If you currently have been training hard, take a week off then another week of fun riding. Then start your plan. You won’t lose any fitness. Your body will get its much needed recovery.
Have fun and good luck.

1 Like