Ric Stern on ramp testing

Yes, that looks it, thanks for the info.

DonĀ“t know if this article has been discussed on this forum already, but IMO it fits quite well in this thread.

Can you trust the FTP test to give correct threshold power?

The article describes the results from this research paper:

Basically, the study compares the results from the 60min and 20min FTP tests, as well as a lactate testā€¦ and I quote:

ā€œThe authors highlight that their results correlate well with the FTP model on a group level. However, when looking at results of individual riders, the situation changes. In other words, the average results fits well with the FTP model. But the results of individual riders often did not.ā€

So yeah, no wonder some of us either under- or overperform on the ramptest :neutral_face:

There seem to bunches of similar studies out there. I think the bottom line is that NONE of the various tests of ā€œthresholdā€ are truly interchangeable. The only choice is therefore to pick the one that best serves your needs, and stick with it.

3 Likes

Hi @briansteve77 The progressions arenā€™t really different from those that you have seen on TR or elsewhere. Iā€™m just pointing out how I come up with a target intensity.

For example,

MAP - 400.

I might do 85-90% MAP for a set of longer intervals (4 mins on, 4 mins off, for example). The progression would still be ā€œdo more next time to build time in zoneā€. And of course there is the whole discussion about 90% maxHR, but donā€™t want to derail the thread. Again, itā€™s just a way to come up with a sensible target and then adjust if needed.

In the example earlier, if Iā€™m doing 30-30s, I would need to go higher intensity than the longer intervals, so 100% MAP for 30s on, 30s off (or maybe 15s off). Even when you based the intensity off of MAP, you still need to adjust a bit. But I find I have to adjust much less than when basing off of FTP, and most importantly, Iā€™m not adjusting that intensity and ALSO adjusting my FTP-based intervals.

Summary: if you have to adjust intensity for HIIT intervals, that shouldnā€™t necessarily change your sweet spot intensity. And having the two numbers gives you that flexibility. Itā€™s poor manā€™s iLevels.

2 Likes

For 30 / 15 intervals I found that around 105% of MAP got me to around 91-93% of max HR by end of third interval set of 3 x 13 x 30 / 15 with 3 min recoveries between sets.

I found that by just tweaking the interval intensities till I was in that ballpark. If I was reaching 95-97% of max HR by end of third set of intervals it wiped me out. So I dialled it back.

I didnā€™t want it to become a hero workout. So yeah you did one big session but then it killed you for the rest of your sessions for the week etc,

1 Like

I did a lot of 30 / 15 intervals in 2020. My progression was

3 sets of 8 x 30 / 15 with 3 min recovery
3 sets of 9:x 30 / 15 with 3 min recovery
3 sets of 10 x 30 / 15 with 3 min recovery
3 sets of 11 x 30 / 15 with 3 min recovery
3 sets of 12 x 30 / 15 with 3 min recovery
3 sets of 13 x 30 / 15 with 3 min recovery

Works perfectly with two high intensity a week with a three weeks on, one week recovery cycle. Ramp retest then start again at 8 intervals per set hopefully at new higher intensity.

I ended up at 105% of MAP. I did try 108% but that pushed me up to 95-97% but that was too much. So you need to experiment with the number of intervals, the intensity, and the balance of work to rest.

Despite the on / off nature my HR looks like this during the workout. Short recovery doesnā€™t allow the HR to drop much during a set.

3 Likes

@GoLongThenGoHome there are riders like you on the TR platform. Congratulations to you for finding a solution. I often wonder what that cohort are doingā€¦athletes on the other end of the distribution are probably more vocal. Athletes in that 80% to 85% range are probably just cranking out workouts & not getting the gains they could. (or maybe no gains? Iā€™m not sure)

I stopped using the ramp test after a few ā€˜badā€™ results. The ramp test appeared to work more times than not, but the inconsistency was unacceptable and easier to go back to other tests.

Yeah I donā€™t know.

If I have three sets of VO2 intervals calculated back up from ftp I want it to feel like

First set. This is bloody hard but I can do it
Second set. Still not fully recovered , itā€™s harder, but I can repeat what Iā€™ve did in first set.
Third set. Even less recovered. But I just need to do this one, then Iā€™m done. About halfway I want it to feel like Iā€™m going to falter. But Iā€™ll dig in count down the next minute etc and get there.

Maybe HR increase 1-3% across the three sets.

So I want that progression during the session. If itā€™s not happening then maybe ftp too low. If itā€™s getting much harder too quickly maybe my ftp is to high?

I wish more people would not be afraid to change their ftp up or down outside or after testing. Plus have that feel and / or review after a session. How did the session go, did it feel too hard or too easy and at what point did that kick in?

Itā€™s why I have a regular workout to calibrate if the ftp number feels about right. If you have a regular workout you get a feel for how it should feel and progress over the series and sets of intervals.

Similar to @GoLongThenGoHome, when Iā€™ve compared my FTP was hovering around 82% of MAP. I did two ramp tests and gave up on it because I was already doing threshold intervals about 10% higher than what it said my FTP was.

I think we hear more about people who ā€˜overtestā€™ because it leads to them imploding during workouts or over the course of a training block. If I wasnā€™t as experienced or in-tune with my body and what ā€˜thresholdā€™ feels like (or compared with a 20min test), I might not realize that the ramp test was underestimating by quite a bit. I would just go through the workouts and maybe they werenā€™t putting me in the right zone, but it wouldnā€™t cause me to implode by being too easy. So not optimal for progress but not causing a catastrophic implosion like over testing could.

1 Like

I totally agree. I think the hard part is doing this for new cyclists or cyclists who might be new to structured training. New cyclists might not know what threshold ā€˜feels likeā€™. Or if they arenā€™t used to longer intervals might not know what threshold ā€˜feels likeā€™ when your 15+min into an interval and a couple intervals deep.

1 Like

Okay I just completed a ramp test ahead of restarting a build.

My highest 1 minute power came out at 317.5 watts. Which is 238W FTP via the trainer road formula. But I tend to set the ftp to 0.8 of that valueā€¦ In May 2018 a lung function study showed my LT2 at 81.1% of VO2 max. That gives a ftp of 254 watts.

Last July it was set at 252 watts and Iā€™ve been in maintenance mode since then. Just one high intensity session a week. So seems the maintenance has been successful and Iā€™m now ready to kick off another build off a much higher base than last year.

Build under polarized for me means two high intensity sessions a week. A three week cycle and recovery and retest every fourth week. I then have 4 low intensity rides a week on top of that.

As above if VO2 max workouts scaled off ftp 254W prove too hard. Iā€™ll bump it down. I have no problem with that. I am just interested in scaling the intervals appropriately.

1 Like

Of course the range of 5% is not a 2-3% error, the error needs scaled by 4/3 to get it relative to 100%. Mind you, if we say that the range is Ā±3% (because 75% isnā€™t in the middle of the range!) then the actual error is still only 4% for the majority of riders. Not sure I believe that given the range quoted for a 20 minute test, when this is, in effect, a 5 minutes and 30 second test.

Mike

The problem isā€¦when you read papers where people are actually asked to ride for an hour at 75% of MAPā€¦this distribution is much wider than 97% of people in the 72% to 77% range. Iā€™m just thinking about Gollnick, Coyle, Coggan. All that data is much more dispersed than a 5% range. Even for experienced cyclists. And of course the data I already linked in this thread.

Not that ā€˜some guy said it in a blogā€™ isnā€™t absolutely bullet proof data. Iā€™m sure it is.

Hmmm, I made a lot of money in the stock market off ā€˜some guy said it in a blogā€™ recommendations so I thought everything on blogs was ā€˜take it to the bankā€™ rock solid advice :rofl:

3 Likes

Has anyone else seen the video on Seilerā€™s youtube channel where he reviews some research into decline in VO2max and FTP as athletes age?

One thing I found interesting is that FTP does not decline as quickly as VO2max because fractional utilization increases / improves. That has got me thinking that as one ages the ramp test is going to increasingly underestimate FTP as over time FTP will increase relative to power at VO2max / MAP. And older athletes are increasingly likely to ā€˜under testā€™ on the ramp test if a static percentage of MAP is used in the calculation.

Baby. Full smash every time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. I really struggle with VO2max intervals, Iā€™m 61 for reference. Iā€™m fine on intervals around threshold but itā€™s as if everything is compressed once I get much above that level.

Iā€™m soft. It happens. Need to hang that HTFU sign back on my seat and get busy smashing vo2max twice a week for the next year.

Hereā€™s the video, jumping to the part I found most interesting: