Restaurant Food Choice for Endurance Event

:rofl: this would be my problem too!

Maybe it is not what you asked, but personally, I’d prioritize family here. In 5 years, you will barely remember what race it was that you were sweating about, but you will remember your dad’s 70th birthday.

I’d go with the flow and get whatever strikes your fancy. Don’t stress. It is not as if you are going to the Heart Attack Grill today. Have a desert if you want one. I’d just keep alcohol consumption moderate. What matters much more is how that evening made you feel.

8 Likes

100% this ^^^

3 Likes

Yes, I can appreciate this and I appreciate all the suggestions. I’m a lucky guy and I don’t eat at this restaurant often, but I see my father every week, we have nice dinners regularly, my wife and I eat good food when we want and what we want, and frankly, what I eat isn’t going to matter to me from an enjoyment of the night perspective. This isn’t a once in a lifetime opportunity situation for me since I get to see him so frequently. I’m sure whatever I order will be great. I think I’m still leaning towards the coastal stew. The hardest part will definitely be not indulging in the alcohol piece, I’ll just have a few extra on Sunday night when we get together at home. :wink:

Not to mention, the gift I got him was two tix to the Browns @ Carolina Panthers next Sunday, so the two of us will I’m sure get a jumbo dog and some peanuts or something.

4 Likes

I still don’t get some of these comments. He is prioritizing family. Who cares what he eats as long as he is there with his father for the birthday and is having a good time. If this was a question about skipping the dinner party because of the race I’d agree and say to prioritize your Dad and let the race play out how it plays out.

But just trying to be smart about what to eat? No harm there unless he spends the evening criticizing the meal choices which doesn’t at all sound like what he would do.

He’s asking for nutritional guidance, not character analysis and life advice.

1 Like

Can we talk about what to wear? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

no.

he is obviously going to wear his kit, he has a race in the morning for crying out loud.

6 Likes

Good news! Dinner was good and i placed p1 in my cat. 2nd overall. Bad news, about 4% slower than last year but oh well. Got to get back at it for next year.

7 Likes

Congratulations on the result, but, come on, what did you have for dinner in the end?!

2 Likes

Ha. I had the seafood stew over grits. No digestive issues. I cant say my tummy felt great all day but that was more the sugar and the effort than anything

3 Likes

Just have a good time and don’t think about the race! That you have fun and enjoy the evening has larger effect for the race than what specific food you eat. 70th birthday parties does not occur often.

A recent example: I was at a workplace party the night before a 220 km gravel ride and had very good legs and stomach even though I ate different food than normal and had a few of drinks. I could ride in the upper Z2 and increase the pace on the hills even in the last two hours.

Since this solved thread just revived, I’ll add that if I know the options aren’t ideal for a Friday night, I’ll eat something at home before we leave. That way I can eat less if needed but not get hungry. Plus, I’m less likely (but not 100%) to make poor choices because I’m already half satiated.

Back from the dead

My favorite pre race dinner out is Indian food. Lots of flavor.

2 Likes

I have an iron stomach…can eat anything any time. My only real rule for pre-race meal is the same one I try to follow any time I go out to eat…avoid crappy fried food or crappy mostly fat red meat. Anything else is fair game…get what I want, as healthy as my inner fat person allows. Also try not to be hung over in the morning…hopefully.