Request: Change Default Sport upload type to "Virtual Ride" in Strava

What the title says. Zwift automatically uploads all of my rides as virtual rides but TR uploads them as regular rides which implies they are outdoors. Seems like an easy and sensible change to make so I can see my outdoor versus indoor rides more easily. Thoughts?

8 Likes

I like this in general, but wonder if “Workout” is a better label?

Either way, “Ride” seems wrong and something more pointed towards this being inside would make more sense.

2 Likes

I didn’t even realize that workout was an option but would be okay with that too. Just something to more clearly delineate indoor vs outdoor. Up until I signed up for TR a couple weeks ago the only indoor stuff I did was Zwift so everything else is marked as virtual ride.

2 Likes

I’ll pass this along to the team! I’m not sure what the verbiage would exactly look like, but we hear you that you’d like a distinction once uploaded to Strava that this was an indoors TrainerRoad workout. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

TR imports to Strava are already tagged as ‘indoor cycling’:

That is true:

But it seems to have no impact or option to sort by “Sport” when viewed in the “My Activities” page:

Ideally, we would like these to have a unique tag, not “Ride” as it currently is. Because that “Ride” tag lumps TR workouts in with any outside ride. I see them as very different and would appreciate the option to use the filters to get more refined results of the “Sports”.

image image

7 Likes

Agreed. I had a warranty issue with a wheelset and they were asking me how much I had ridden on the bike outside so I was quickly going through the workout page to add up miles and this is where I noticed it.

I did miss the “Indoor Cycling” on the title page so it’s nice to see that’s there. But I think it would be good to change the sport type to either Virtual Ride or Workout IMO.

1 Like

I would love if there is a change to Virtual Ride / the option for users to make that the default setting.

Personally right now once every blue moon I go through my Strava activities and change it manually. It’s nice to see the indoor (TR/Zwift) vs outdoor split and additionally easier to keep track on how many km I have on my equipment that I use indoors vs outdoors. I just ride one bike outdoors - so no need to choose a bike in Strava.

2 Likes

I take the rime to flag all my indoor TR workouts as a workout. If that was auto flagged it would be great.

But this is really a Strava problem - they have so few filtering options. The rides are already tagged indoor ride and you should have the ability to filter those “rides” out.

3 Likes

Strava has both “Sport” definitions and “Tags.” It would be nice to filter based on tags I agree. But, for now, given Strava’s limitations, which TR has no control over, it would be cool to have a workaround where TR fixes the “Sport” association and most people’s problems would be resolved.

1 Like

“Virtual Ride” on Strava is a ride with fake GPS data. TR uploads them as “Ride” with the indoor flag which is correct IMO. It wouldn’t be a good idea to use “Workout” as that is the activity type for gym workouts and so on. The issue is that Strava provides insufficient filtering.

@cali Intervals.icu (my app) has a totals page with filtering for activity types indoor/outdoor etc. next time you need to do calcs for a wheelset.

7 Likes

Once you select ride, there is a further filter where you can select ‘Indoor rides’

2 Likes

It’s true that workout is usually associated with gym type sessions, but the ride activity has a further option to define the ride type - you can choose, race or workout and indoor is also an option.

When you want to search your activities, select ‘rides’, then the workout/race/indoor options will become visible.

If you use Strava Summit and tag activities as “workout” (default is blank, other option is “race”), then the activity shows up as a different colour in the “Training Log” page. The “indoor cycling” tag doesn’t seem to offer any additional functionality

2 Likes

Sure enough. Annoyed at myself for not seeing that :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the info :smiley:

I just learned about this distinction! Was wondering what had caused something to be a ‘Virtual Ride’ versus ‘Indoor Ride’. Thanks for expanding upon that!

1 Like

This is nice, but the only filter is Indoor Cycling then. There’s no way of filtering out indoor cycling so that only the outdoor rides are displayed.

1 Like

Yup, as usual, Strava sucks when you want to really dig into any data or research.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining your technical reasons for not agreeing with this change. This at least helps me understand why some people would like to keep it this way.

There seem to be others, like me, who would rather classify the sport differently and are already manually going in to do this after each activity uploads.

Perhaps TR could make this setting a user configurable option based upon their preference?

1 Like

There would be a lot of moving parts to automatically identify TrainerRoad wokrouts to anything other than ‘Indoor Workout’ within Strava, but I made the requests to the team nonetheless. You can always manually edit the ‘sport’ type once in Strava, but ultimately, the options offered by Strava in terminology of sport type are super limited. :neutral_face:

2 Likes