Recovery Beers, Gravel Racing, and Hot Takes – Ask a Cycling Coach 400

New hot takes!

Share the podcast with your friends, and rate it 5-stars!
iTunes: ‎Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts

Spotify: Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad | Podcast on Spotify
Google Podcasts: https://trainerroad.cc/google

TOPICS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE

(0:23) HOT TAKES: Beer is good for recovery

(10:54) Liquid calories are better than solid food when riding

(13:13) XCO is just a time trial for 90+% of people racing it

(17:25) Off season is boring!

(22:38) Riding for fun and racing your friends still makes you faster

(29:35) Handlebar bags on $10k aero bikes is LOL

(33:09) Recovery rides hinder recovery

(36:43) It’s okay to change your plan volume mid-season

(51:21) How to pick good lines in a high pressure situation

(1:00:23) Aid Station strategies from the pros

(1:08:50) How to pick events that prepare you for your goal event

Watch our latest Cycling Science Explained video now!

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast below!
Spotify: Spotify

iTunes: ‎Science of Getting Faster Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts

TRY TRAINERROAD RISK FREE FOR 30 DAYS!

TrainerRoad is the #1 cycling training app. No other cycling app is more effective. Over 13,000 positive reviews, a 4.9 star App Store rating.

Adaptive Training from TrainerRoad uses machine learning and science-based coaching principles to continually assess your performance and intelligently adjust your training plan. It trains you as an individual and makes you a faster cyclist.

Learn more about TrainerRoad: Cycling Planning, Training, & Analytics - TrainerRoad

Learn more about Adaptive Training: Adaptive Training: The Right Workout. Every Time. - TrainerRoad

ABOUT THE ASK A CYCLING COACH PODCAST

Ask a Cycling Coach podcast is a cycling and triathlon training podcast. Each week USAC/USAT Level I certified coach Chad Timmerman, pro athletes, and other special guests answer your cycling and triathlon questions.

Have a question for the podcast? Ask here: Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - TrainerRoad

MORE PODCASTS FROM TRAINERROAD

Listen to the Successful Athletes Podcast: Successful Athletes Podcast - TrainerRoad

Listen to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast: The Science of Getting Faster Podcast - TrainerRoad

STAY IN TOUCH

Training Blog: TrainerRoad Blog - Cycling Training Resources and Tips

TrainerRoad Forum: TrainerRoad - Cycling & Training Forum

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trainerroad/

Strava Club: Reno, Nevada Club | TrainerRoad on Strava

Facebook: TrainerRoad

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TrainerRoad

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

6 Likes

:rofl: @ Ivy’s snapshot for the video.

3 Likes

Shout out to athletic brewing company

5 Likes

Indeed, my wife loves their stuff.

I hope those are the PBR Hand-Up gloves…that would be chef’s kiss.

My hot take is that alcohol is one of the worst things you can ingest (short of things that aren’t considered edible) for recovery; for metabolic reasons, sleep, hydration, and what it does to the brain.

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing back the intro the last two episodes @IvyAudrain and @Jonathan

5 Likes

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” - The Dude

16 Likes

Its-science GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

12 Likes

This article was published today—crazy timing!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/01/25/exercise-beer-nonalcoholic-healthy/?fbclid=IwAR1STN8WcaT5kp-zS82zHi0_x7WZ-9oB-5bHxQjhDAR0bC3y6bistLwj974

1 Like

@Chad’s claim that a little bit of alcohol is good for you was a bad take. (And that’s coming from me, a lifelong beer lover who doesn’t intend to quit any time soon). Earlier studies finding that moderation was OK were flawed and not taken seriously anymore. The most recent evidence supports the model where the health risks of drinking scale directly with how much you drink, and so the safest course of action is not to drink at all.

More details here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/04/01/drinking-alcohol-health-effects/

The risks of having an occasional drink are vanishingly small, but folks shouldn’t think they need to regularly seek out a drink to stay healthy.

2 Likes

Counterpoint: Beer is very yummy.

5 Likes

I think they’re looking at this backwards - rather than ‘alcohol impairs the effectiveness of exercise’, the correct conclusion is ‘exercise enhances the effectiveness of alcohol’. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I came to say I hate bar bags and anyone that uses one! Stop trying so hard to say you’re not trying so hard.

3 Likes

Have you tried the Guinness non-alcoholic? I keep meaning to try that and the athletic beers.

The less I drink the harder it is for me to go back as it hits me too hard if I haven’t drank in awhile

I do. It’s pretty good too. Not as good is the real thing though :grinning:
Totally agree with you point.

I do not like the Guinness NAs. Athletic brewing company is the only one so far to nail it in my opinion. With the Guinness, it’s just so hard to mirror the smooth dense flavor even though the ABV is only ~4-5.5%

1 Like

Drinking my pre-workout right now.

For real tho, going dry starting in a week for medical reasons. Honestly, this stuff really doesn’t taste bad. Better than some local IPAs.

2 Likes

Not seen Athletic Brewing in the UK but there’s definitely a market for it. BrewDog do some good non alcohol beers, not sure if they have reached the US

Also agree with @drmarcj seems a bad take.

Although Brewdog are apparently a bit toxic in ways other than just the alcohol…

1 Like