PowerMatch Experiences

If you’re referring to miles when uploading to Strava, I’ve found that gearing has ZERO effect on speed and miles when uploaded to Strava. My test was 4 x 10:00 dropping in gears for each interval. Strava showed no difference. However, when cadence dropped, Strava dropped speed and distance as well. I tested this again with intervals and found that my speed/miles dropped as I went from a cadence of 95, 85, 75 and 65.

That being said, most recently I verified/changed my tire circumstance in the TR app (it was set too high). I also realized in the past week or so Strava miles/speed are now more power dependent regardless of cadence or gearing :man_shrugging:. Not sure if Strava updated their algorithms or me adjusting the tire circumstance was the reason (use wheel on Kickr Snap).

Hmmm, I would like this to be the case as it would help me better track mileage on Strava bit it’s not working that way for me. When I ride big ring, mid cassette, say 180 w ride average, 95-100 cadence, I get around 18-19 mph, realistic for what is be on flat road in same condition. But when I use small front ring, everything else the same, I get around 13 mph. Basically it scales by the 34/50 front ring ratio.

I’m using erg mode - are you? I would love to sort this out so the mileage on Strava was indeed a reasonable flat ride power based estimate!

1 Like

Wow, opposite here. Something like 14mph in little chainring for the first 35 minutes of this TR workout, and 21mph when in big chainring for the 2nd half of the workout:

and here it is on TR:

My color commentary about the test using Colosseum workout here: Big vs Small Chainring - Same Power (ERG Mode Gearing) - #18 by bbarrera

Setup:

• Kickr 2017 direct drive (wheel off) in Erg mode
  • Stages power meter
  • something like 50x17 in big ring, and 34x17 in small ring

From talking with Wahoo support (and support article), the Kickr 2017 direct drive will report speed based in flywheel. So bigger gear or higher cadence = faster spinning flywheel = higher speed reported.

There is a Kickr setting called “Erg Mode Speed Simulation” that will have Kickr report power based speed, but it has been tricky to get it working reliably (Wahoo doesn’t officially support it with 3rd parties).

Yes I use Erg. But I use a MTB on the trainer, so 32 up front only and my gear selections are on the cassette. So when I switch gears it’s effecting inertia only slightly (24 to 18) compared to going from 50 to a 34. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I also use Tacx Bushido Smart trainer and PowerTap GS power meter in power match and feel very hapyy with the result

I also did Taylor last night and was also missing target by around 20 watts using a Tacx Vorex and Assioma Duo pedals. I do not expect the Vortecx to handle 5 second surges like in Ebbetts or Clark but expect it to be there or there about for 30 second internvals. I always do my workouts with 101% intensity but was having to increase that to 103% due to the shortfall in maintaining the watts throughout the interval.

Hoping this is a good place to ask this rather than start a new thread.

Having just received first power meter (assiomas) and having previously used power from kickr snap. Would best thing to do going forward is also connect power meter to trainerroad - but not do powermatch until next ramp test?

If my understanding is right - the snap still set it’s watts in erg mode as it did before. But the watts on the screen will be from the power meter? So I should get some idea if one is reading higher / lower

And then next ramp test switch over to powermatch?

That’s correct (as far as I understand it). I just went through the same process on the Kickr Core with Assiamos and it worked well.

1 Like

Who cares if one is reading higher/lower than the other? Seriously! Regardless if the Snap is higher or lower, I would bet that the Assiomas are more accurate (i.e., the Snap is wrong). However, some people will always pick the one w/the higher number as being correct because their ego needs the larger FTP :man_facepalming:

You should definitely pair the Assiomas as well as the Kickr and use power match. Why? Well, your Assiomas are your outside power source/number. By using it indoors as well, you have power numbers that are both consistent and thus meaningful.

You can wait to switch or you can substitute your next Tue workout w/the Ramp test. You will not ruin your plan by doing so.

Eventually you want to use the assiomas as your power source either via powermatch or using Ant+ control direct from the pedals to the trainer. I’ve dabbled with both and prefer power match.

You don’t need to be in a rush to test, IMO. If you don’t want to disrupt your plan, just wait till your next test. Otherwise, you can sub the Ramp Test in for your normal Tuesday workout and maybe add so,e zone 2 or Sweet Spot work after for equivalent TSS. You’ll still get some VO2max time in that way, with minimal disruption to training. That said, if you’re testing in a couple of weeks, I would just wait. Not a big deal either way… and Im sure you’re anxious to try out the new pedals.

Thanks I don’t think I communicated it well - I don’t care about what the actual number is (it’s just a number). What I do care about is that if I’ve been doing a plan and a interval in the past has been X ( and felt like that / had the desired training effects of that) I don’t want to then being trying to do that interval again - but because the power number is different - in effect doing X +/- 10%

1 Like

That’s great thanks. Next week is the mid block recovery week for me on build so I’m thinking best to just wait till scheduled ramp test.

And your right - can’t wait to try them

Previously used my Stages L with Tacx Vortex. Short intervals…up to 1 minute… were terrible…to the point of being a waste of time which prompted me to purchase a Neo. When it arrived, I subscribed to TR so never actually used the Vortex with TR’s Power Matching.

Quite impressed with how closely and quickly the Neo tracks. It’s not perfect but it’s good. Initially I saw a very slight over compensation spike when a high power interval occurred which usually lasted about 1-2 secs, but since I’ve switched to lowered gears this initial spike has disappeared and it tracks accurately almost immediately.

On a side note, I wish the turbo manufacturers would introduce a port to allow cables for connectivity.

I think you missed his point. @tcrick is trying to keep consistent training by doing intervals/workouts using the same measure of power. So it doesn’t matter if the Assiomas is higher/lower, but it will likely be different and thus throw off his training zones.

So Yes @tcrick, connect the Assiamos, but maybe to your bike computer and leave the Kickr Snap as is controlling your ERG for now. You could connect your Assiamos to your bike computer as you train and see the offset in power compared to your Kickr power. Would be good to know how close the power numbers track (between the two devices) depending on the workouts and different zones. For instance, the Kickr could read low at 50% FTP, be equal at 100% then read high at 120%. That would be good information to know relative to your previous FTPs so you can track progress month over month and year over year. For instance, if your Kickr Snap consistently reads 20w higher than your Assiamos, then in theory you could assume all your previous FTPs on the Kickr Snap based on 75% of your 1 min power were 20 watts inflated. This would allow you to compare new Assiamos power numbers with old Kickr Snap numbers.

Then, assuming your Ramp Test isn’t too far away (withing a week or 2) you could then use the Assiomas and TR’s Powermatch going forward. I would also encourage you to use Powermatch a few times over the next week or so during some of your indoor z2 rides to ensure you have any bugs worked out. You don’t want to discover Powermatch is having issues the day of your ramp test and you have to fiddle around to get it to work right. Or maybe there is a reaction delay or other specific issue to your set up that you’d want to know before it’s test time.

2 Likes

Thanks - this is great and really helpful. Good tip on not using powermatch 1st on the ramp test. Luckily it’s lined up well with a recovery week next week

Yes. Perfect time to retest w/the what will be your new power reference going forward, i.e., the Assiomas :+1:

POWERMATCH IS JUNK!!!* @Nate_Pearson what is going on with PowerMatch. I was all excited to do my first ramp test with my new Quarq XX1 and PowerMatch. Instead I got power spikes throughout the ramp test as high as 30-40+ watts even when my cadence was consistent…

Then the final punch in the face was when I reached near the magical 19:30 mark of the ramp test I purposely started lowering my cadence to grind out the last minute or two. However, as my cadence dropped so did my power, as if PowerMatch wanted me to stay at 80-90 rpm. I like/need to grind out the end of ramp tests and can hold a low cadence and high power for a minute or so more. I thought that’s what I was doing as I had my head down not looking at my power. I was quite mad :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: to lift up my head when I stopped only to see that PowerMatch didn’t match the power! My Kickr ERG always held the power no matter my cadence until it grinded me to a halt. Why can’t PowerMatch do the same @Nate_Pearson ??? So I spend all this money on my new Quarq and TR software can’t keep up?

What’s even more frustrating is that my cadence leveled out in the mid 50 rpms for the last 1:30 and still PowerMatch didn’t Match the ERG power. Why not?!!!

I’m pretty annoyed as I was expecting a decent FTP bump. Instead I just have to throw away this ramp test result and I’m at a lost on how to use PowerMatch going forward with TR. I previously tested out the Quarq (Kickr using ERG and PM on bike computer) and the PM read 2-5% higher at any given time and 2% higher normalized power for the same TR workout.

Welcome to my world, I would never use powermatch for an FTP test and only really use it for recovery rides, everything else is done in standard/resistance mode.

1 Like

Really?! Talk about hyperbole! Powermatch works fine for me and probably the majority of TR users. I used it for years w/a Kickr and p2max combo. Nowadays, I have a Neo and p2max combo.

First, how about verifying your setup and providing more useful troubleshooting information. Since, you mentioned using Kickr ERG, I assume you are using a Kickr? So on to your problem… The Quarq and Kickr are both paired to TR. Powermatch is enabled. Is this correct?

What version of TR are you using?
What Kickr firmware are you using?
Quarq firmware updated?
Quarq battery status?
Are you ANT+ or Bluetooth?
If ANT+, are you using a USB extension cable?

In looking at your graphs, if you are expecting a smooth line, you need to reset your expectations. Your power output no matter how steady your cadence is will not get you a smooth line. If you were using the Kickr ERG and seeing smooth graphs, that is because the smoothing was enabled on the Wahoo side (via app) and thus producing really smooth pretty graphs albeit fake!

Here is a screenshot from of the Neo w/out Powermatch but using ERG mode:

Here is another of using the p2max and Neo w/Powermatch in ERG mode:

Notice they both show variations in power. This is normal

That said, your last couple screenshots where the power drops way below the target is not normal. If you can provide some more info, maybe we can help you here. Otherwise, open a support ticket. They will probably ask for the same info :smile:

2 Likes

The power spikes don’t look that abnormal. However something was definitely wrong when your cadence slowed and power match didn’t correct. It should have been upping the resistance on the trainer.

I’ve seen this happen during a regular workout. I had to exit the workout and reboot my iPad. After that everything was fine. I have gotten into the habit of always shutting down my iPad after TR workouts and then booting back up before my next workout. This was suggested to me some time back for an unrelated issue by the TR support staff.

I think TR support needs to look at your files/log and see if they can figure out what happened. Sucks that it happened during a Ramp Test, but I suspect the issue is solveable.