Pacelines, Normalized Power, Cravings and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 199

You should be a cat 2 pretty fast if you keep racing like that! You were really strong, plus you’re a big guy so that course wouldn’t be your strength.

Great job on the finish!

2 Likes

Does someone pleasehave the name of the book of the Canadian Olympian at hand? Thanks and as always great podcast!

I found this from 2017, might be the right one but I swear he said it was 2019? The Intriguing Role of Histamine in Exercise Responses

1 Like

He did say 2019. I have looked for it and have been unable to find a study from 2019 that includes both Halliwill and Luttrell as authors. There is a cycling specific study on histamine from 2019 but I am unsure if this is the study referenced.

1 Like

Open Heart Open Mind by Clara Hughes I think

4 Likes

@chad @Nate_Pearson @Jonathan
Regarding the point about losing a bike length in a paceline - that comment was made by Dan Bigham of Huub Wattbike in an interview about how they have been searching for marginal gains in a team pursuit. Those guys are world class, and they are searching for every single possible bit of speed they can get. It makes sense - if you think about them all riding the same cadence - if you swing up the bank and join the back 4 times more than the other team, you have moved your entire team backwards along the track by 4 bike lengths. It’s about the most controlled environment it’s possible the be in though, so it probably doesn’t even apply to road TTTs, and it almost certainly isn’t applicable to a breakaway.
I wonder if there are other takeaways that could be applied to road though. Their focus on aero and testing is clearly one that would make a difference for most racers.

I’m not sure if this is the video, but it’s a cool watch anyway: The Amateur Track Cyclists Beating The World's Best - YouTube

1 Like

If you are in a double paceline group, on the front, on the side of passing traffic and have been on the front for longer than is sustainable or fair how do you pull off?

Yep, totally makes sense in this context, Duncan. Thanks for sharing - I love this story!

3 Likes

@Nate_Pearson WHERE’S THE BIKE THROW?!

2 Likes

Thanks, Nate! Great videos, and congrats on your amazing season so far!

4 Likes

I may be confusing what you are looking for but if you click on the power chart, for example at 5min power, it updates the NP and all other stats for that section at the upper right. If you want to see your best effort you will need to open that specific event.

You just pull off to the left ever so gracefully and keep pedaling as you fall in line towards the back. Obviously this is all relative to the road, how busy it is, etc.

In the UK we ride on the left hand side of the road, so do you move to the inside where the gutter is and drop back, or the right where the traffic is passing your right shoulder? Sorry… :slight_smile:

All depends on the group. Usually pull off to the side with traffic passing you. But, all of my large group rides are on roads with not a lot of traffic. Both people up front work together and decide when to pull off. One goes, then the other. and work your way to the back.

I was referring to the fact that NP for sub 20-m efforts is not really a useful metric. I was suggesting some type of signal to any viewer of the data, that it may not be great info to use.

Nate’s suggestion about a disclaimer (covering the limitations) was along the lines of what I was suggesting. It’s more about trying to let people know that it’s not great until you hit 20-m.

I was trying to throw :slight_smile:

Hello everyone. This is my first time commenting on the forum. I hope I don’t sound like a complete fool, so here it goes.
While listening to the podcast today, the physical responses listed by Coach Chad (?) in conjunction with the possible food allergies reminded me of my ongoing struggles with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and trying to be active. The allergy response symptoms you listed are accurate, and if I risk eating something new or risk eating out and I am unlucky enough to eat something that disagrees with my IBS, I will have the allergy symptoms you described in that section of the podcast. The symptoms will dissipate after 24 to 48 hours.
I have been living with IBS for over ten years, and the list of foods that irritate my condition is long. This means that my list of on the bike nutrition is limited. I have discovered some options/homemade recipes that work for me, and I saw a suggestion of using maple syrup and water for an energy drink. Does anyone have a recipe that they are willing to share?
Love the product, and I am relatively new to the podcast. Thank you again.
Birnie, II

I realize this is probably a bit too specific, but the histamine conversation got me wondering about other medication that may influence recovery and adaptation. I’ve been using Flonase/Mometosome nasal spray for allergic rhinitis (which is a lovely side effect activated by my regular dose of Remicade).

Any general thoughts (obviously not being taken as medical advice) on the potential impact of immune modifying biologic drugs (such as Remicade/Infliximab) on the training process? I very rarely feel 100%, whether on a ride or recovering, but always attribute this to fitness level or poor sleep quality. Wondering now if immune suppressants are compounding the problem.

@Nate_Pearson absolutely sympathetic on the sinus infections… I get them all the time!

Sean

1 Like

Regarding Allergies - we tried several options but have found that acupuncture does the best job of getting rid of allergies for us. I know, I was a skeptic at first as well, but I have seen it work first hand. It took one 30 min session and the allergies disappeared for the rest of the spring and summer.

Nate, how do you like the giro vanquish?? Looking at getting one and curious about your thoughts?
Any aero data you’ve found to keep you from looking super matchy with a specialized evade?

Cheers!