Off bike Strength VS On Bike Strength - Legs

Hi All,

Wondering …and i thought it would be interesting to see everyone’s anecdotal numbers …

I often wonder, how do these pros smash out 400+ watts from bread-stick legs (mean that endearingly …these guys are phenoms!!!) for 20+ minutes …and how does/would that ‘on bike’ power transfer to say, a barbell squat (front or back) …a leg press or a trap bar dead lift etc etc …

Got me thinking - I wonder what the relationship would/might be between FTP and, say, a 2 rep max (2RM) on Barbell Squat, a Leg Press and a Trap Bar Dead lift? -

Thoughts on this ? I think it would be interesting to see the numbers and any correlation there may be ??

Cheers
Paul

FTP and any 2RM weighted leg exercise are very different types of exercise. If you take your example of 400W for 20 minutes, think about how many ‘reps’ you’re doing: 20 x 90 (rpm) = 1800. Each ‘rep’ is much less force than even a fairly light squat, you’re using a complete different energy system (aerobic vs ATP-CP) so there would be almost no carry-over.

Pros with high FTPs could probably squat more than untrained people with no background in any type of fitness. But also the average gym-goer could likely out squat any pro that doesn’t specifically work on weight training.

If you wanted to compare between pros, or even casual/amateur cyclists, you would likely see more variation from their gym routines than you would from their FTP, so I think it would be impossible to find any correlation.