My Cycling Journey - Complete Beginner

Week 2 Update

Second update, here we go!

This week was a lot more fun than the first, mainly due to the workouts being a bit more intensive. In particular, Goddard, which really challenged my individual leg pedalling. If you look at the workout you can see my cadence is all over the place as I tried to get the hang of it, challenging but motivating at the same time.

Both Monitor and Antelope were enjoyable, but I have been having some trouble with my trainer in ERG mode actually adjusting to match the required power output. I’m wondering if this is because my FTP is quite low at the moment and my trainer isn’t handling that too well. Either way, I did my best to stick to the targets, despite being regularly above or below. My aim for similar workouts in future is to keep as close to the targets as possible, without adjust my cadence as often as I currently do. Still trying to figure out what is most comfortable for me, but the more I ride the more comfortable I’m becoming at higher cadence (low 90’s is wear I’m feeling good right now). Also, a saddle adjustment helped tremendously with the downstairs problem, so the 1h30m was a lot more pleasant :sweat_smile:

Now to the biggest achievement of my week, and also the longest ride of my life - 75km. On the weekend I decided to join a casual ride with my local club, because I was feeling well rested and wanted to get out there for a longer ride before it gets too cold. Long story short, I definitely overestimated my ability to keep up with the group, but managed to finish thanks to a helping hand from the ride leader every now and again. Although the ride was tough and weather not so pleasant, it really envigorated me once again on the reason I want to train. Can’t wait for the day I can get out on those rides and keep up with the group without having to disrupt the pace :pray:

So for week 2, I’m very happy with the progress and have felt like I’ve levelled up already. My legs are getting stronger by the day and I’m feeling better and better on the bike both inside and outside. Excited to share more as time goes on!

8 Likes