New to TrainerRoad Start at Base or Build phase

Hi after some help, I have just signed up to TrainerRoad and need some help where to start on a 8 week plan. My back round in cycling, I have been coached for a number of years, when the session starts I race weekly Time Trialing. 10 miles & 25 mile TT my times are 10tt 19.32 and 25tt 49.01. I have always had a structured workouts. So my question is where do I start? Base phase or build phase. I train about 5/8 per week normally 1ish on the turbo and a long ride on a Sunday about 3hrs…
Thanks Luke

3 Likes

Don’t skip base. I did last year because you know I was experienced and advanced. It didn’t serve me well.

3 Likes

Base. Definitely.

Give planbuilder a try.

1 Like

Well, it kind of depends on what you’ve been doing lately and when your first race is. It’s February. Most serious cyclists started their base riding in Nov, Dec but it depends on when you want to peak for A races.

1 Like

As suggested i would use the plan builder to personalize your training to your needs. If not start with sweet spot base. a lot of useful pedaling techniques are utilized. Even if you are a seasoned rider its good to refresh things. You need solid muscle endurance to spring from and SSB is where you get that.

With an 8 week window, Personally I may start with SSB11 for 6 weeks and 2 weeks of build in your specific discipline if you feel that your base fitness is relatively solid. The TR Program is based on BASE training - BUILD Training - Specialty Training. to get the most from the program you will need to start from ground zero which is Sweet Spot Base 1 and pick the intensity. Don’t let your ego talk you into a higher intensity then you can handle the program is progressive and you can bury yourself quickly if you are not careful

Thanks very much for your help, I was thinking of starting with the sweet spot thoughts? what is SSB11 ?

Thanks very much for your help

Luke

Thanks for your help, I have a base fitness already, I was thinking of starting with the sweet spot?

Thanks very much for your help

Luke

Luke Sweet Spot Base it broken into two sections. Sweet Spot Base I and Sweet Spot Base II. It’s 12 weeks total of base training. Intensity wise you can pick low, Mid, & high. Since you said that you had 8 weeks. It would make some sense to skip Sweet Spot Base I if you feel confident in your base fitness and jump straight into the second half of Sweet Spot Base training just to reinforce the base fitness you have. Then you can jump into the build phase and do two weeks.

1 Like