I would like to participate in a MTB Stage Race but not sure if my fitness will allow to make it out alive. I really, really would like not to die during the race but have some kind of fun (even knowing I will suffer a lot) and I am not aiming for podium (or last place …).
Some background on me:
- 2018 Season and 2019 Season training via TR (before that no structured training just biking). 2018 was somewhat consistent (lets say 80%) as my son was born, 2019 looks much better so far
- 2018 plan: Sweet Spot Base, Sustained Power, MTB Marathon (all Mid vol)
- 2019 plan so far: Sweet Spot Base (3 weeks to go), Mid vol
- 2018 FTP (max) 279 - started from 212 beginning of season
- 2019 FTP so far: 268 - might improve until Race days in summer (but you never know, life happens …)
- W/kg: about 4, 4,29 in 2018, currently 4,12, lost 13kg / 28pd in 2018 (now weighing 65kg / 143pd for half a year, seems quite stable)
- !No racing experience! Did a 3h-MTB-Race in 2017 - was fun
Some background on the race - there are basically two options, both with looooong sustained climbs (Swiss and Austrian Alps) and not to technical as far as I know.
End of June
Total of 165km/102miles with 5360m/17.585feet of elevation
Day 1: Timetrial, 16km/10m with 881m/2890f
Day2: 86km/53m with 2446m/8024f
Day3: 63km/39m with 2033m/6669f
End of July
Total of 160km/99miles with 5683m/18.645feet of elevation
Day1: 106km/65m with 3217m/10.554f
Day2: 55km/43m with 2466m/8090f
Any thoughts if my current fitness will fit one of these races? Which one to be preferred?
Or should I work on my fitness for another season and just start in 2020?
Or any other comments :)?