Low Volume: Swapping cross training for easy week

i’m new to trainerroad and am doing a low volume plan this winter so I can work in XC skiing, snow biking and runs. I do want to be ready for Spring race season, and I’ve set up my B events and an A event for late April / early May.

Next week is an easy week. If I am planning to snow bike with friends and possibly XC ski if the snow is suitable, should I just skip the TR workouts? My TSS will like be at least 2x what TR recommends for the week just from these outside activities.

If this makes sense, what’s the best way to set it up in the calendar?

This is not what a rest week is. Do what you like, but this will likely impact your training going forward.

1 Like

Yeah, i know that’s not optimal but i prioritize doing activities with friends over ideal training. Given that constraint, I’m just looking to make the best decision regarding the on-bike training.

It sounds like the best thing i can do here is skip the week of TR on-bike sessions.

2 Likes

Skip the TR workouts and then also make the following week your rest week. Pushing the rest week one week later isn’t terrible but skipping it all together is. I believe you can move weeks around using the calendar to make this happen

1 Like

Do not add more TSS to your “rest week”! Skip the TR workouts and realize you still may be fatigued heading into the next block and may need to adjust those workouts. Make sure to answer the survey questions honestly when you start the next block. AI might start toning down future workouts if you have multiple very hard or all out efforts or failure in a week.

2 Likes

thanks @aydraper and @huges84. I’ll skip the indoor spins and i’ll see how much i end up doing outside, how i feel, and decide if i need to push the rest week based on that. The following week is a higher intensity week.

I did choose the low volume plan specifically so i could fit in some of these extra outside activities so hopefully my overall TSS will still be reasonable for productive training. I know i’ll have to shift some workouts around so i can get good quality workouts on hard days and solid rest thereafter.

1 Like

I think you’re on the right track!

Recovery Weeks are meant for the body to be able to absorb all the training you’ve been doing and give it time to regenerate without high-intensity workouts (outside cycling, too). It’s chill time :sunglasses: So, skipping the Endurance workouts and just going snow biking and CX skiing is not a bad idea.

I wouldn’t push the Recovery Week but rather skip a workout or choose a Workout Alternate once you start your next Base Phase. Just be mindful of how your body is feeling.

The Low Volume plan already gives you enough rest in between workouts that if you were to skip Monday’s workout, you’d essentially have 3 days off before the next and most likely enough time to recover and resume training as usual on Thursday.

1 Like

very cool, thanks!

1 Like