Looking for Green Smoothie Recipes Besides Spinach / Kale

Title kind of says it all. Right now my smoothies are made with:

• Almond milk - I’m mildly lactose intolerant
  • Protein powder
  • Scoop of peanut butter
  • Lots of spinach or kale

So what is your favorite green smoothie recipe? What other vegetables besides spinach / kale do you add?

TIA

Beets w/ the greens. Arugula if you can stand the strong flavor (higher in nitrates than beats). Carrots and cucumber works pretty good too.

5 Likes

This is my go to (made for 2 people). I like a thinner smoothie, reduce the amount of water if you like it thicker.

2c almond milk
2c water
2 bananas (mandatory)
2c frozen spinach (couple big handfuls if fresh)
1c berries of choice (usually use frozen wild blue berries)
Couple dashes of cinammon
2tbsp pure maple syrup (or a cup of juice)

Other things I’ll add:
1c frozen pineapple (make sure you blend it well or it will be stringy)
Handful of baby carrots
Almond butter
Frozen mango
Apple
Clementines

4 Likes

Arugula/Kale, frozen pineapple, banana, water
Beets, oranges, pinepple/banana, water
I usually keep it down to 3 ingridient and use water unless kids demand milkshake, then it is
Milk, frozen strawberry, frozen pineapple, banana
Kirkland frozen pineapple is best sweetener I found so far

1 Like

Try any smoothie with hemp seeds or chorella
Both are really healthy… and green :slight_smile:

Here is about hemp seeds: https://foodclinicdiet.com/cannabis-the-best-source-of-omega-acids-and-proteins-in-the-vegan-diet/

Here is about chorella (sea algae): https://foodclinicdiet.com/probiotics-can-help-you-lose-weight-and-feel-better-heres-how/

2 Likes

Any recommendations for sea algae?

I want to like arugula but I don’t. I don’t despise it and I can eat it but I find myself thinking “this would be a lot better without arugula…”

I’ll edit to add that I normally stick to spinach, juiced lime, fresh mint and water

1 Like

If you want an awesome creamy version that will fill you up, I love throwing half an avocado in there.

My go-to is usually
whey
coconut milk (trying to calm down on the dairy)
kale or spinnach
carrots
cucumber
ginger root (really nice, especially to cut the bitter of the kale)
splash of tart cherry juice
avocado (optional)
little bit of water
ice

I add spirulina (blue-green algae) powder to all of my green smoothies. As for greens themselves, I just do frozen spinach because it’s cheap and easy, and I eat a variety of other greens in my regular diet.

My go-to recipe is below. I like a thiqq smoothie I can eat from a bowl, so I start with mostly frozen ingredients and don’t add any liquid.

• Banana, a few mango chunks, a few strawberries (all frozen)
  • Knob of fresh ginger
  • Cottage cheese (about 1/3 cup, adds some protein and makes it creamier)
  • Scoop of protein powder (I use unflavored whey, I find the fruit makes the smoothie sweet enough and I don’t like the artificial sweeteners in most flavored powders)
  • Spirulina powder (about 1/2t)
  • Frozen spinach (a cup or so)

Then I usually top it all with some cereal or granola as well as hemp seeds and flaked coconut.

2 Likes

No help for an alternative to spinach or kale, as one of those is always the veggie base for me. Other suggestions for alternative add-ins:

PB2 instead of peanut butter
PB2 with Cocoa :heart_eyes:
ground raw sunflower seeds
flaxseed powder
stevia sweetener

Costco is the place for your smoothie supplies… or at least it is here in SoCal.

• Organic Mixed Berries
  • Banana
  • Giant handful of organic “Power Greens” (kale, spinach, arugula, chard… all the good stuff and it varies)
  • Organic Peanut Butter
  • Almond Milk
  • Splash of OJ for sweetness
  • Chia Seeds

this morning, I added some organic frozen pineapple and often mix it up with whatever is on hand.

Here’s a local company that makes great green juices: GreenFix Menu | GreenFix Smoothie

1 Like

This is my go to after really hard workouts - literally feels like your life is being given back to you.

Macros for 2 servings:
43g Protein
48g Carb
19g Fat
455 calories

3 cups coconut water
2-3 Kale Stalks (can be replaced for any other dark leafy green)
1/2 Beet with greens
1/2 cup Blueberries
1 Apple
1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp Hemp Hearts
1 tbsp Goji Berry powder
1 tbsp Acai Powder
1 tsp Maca Powder
1 tsp Spirulina Powder
1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder

Put everything in the vita mix and add a handful or two of ice to make it thicker.

full disclosure - not my recipe (from the Rich Roll Book) but it’s so good I have to share it.

3 Likes

Frozen spinach? Never thought about that.
Is this for cost reasons?

I can buy a tub of organic fresh spinach for under 5 bucks and a 5-7cups(by Weight) out of it.

Frozen has less spinach flavor and is available at Target (not sure if you’re US-based). We switch between both fresh and frozen.

Have you tried a green powder?

Broccoli
Pineapple
Mango
Almond Milk

The Mango/PA take the dirt taste of the broccoli away so it is good, and is surprisingly hearty

If you want to make a smoothie it will be good to buy organic one chorella or spirulina powder
Eventually, you can buy it in tablets
Good option as well is to go to a good sushi restaurant and order sea algae salad a few times a week :slight_smile:

Anyone got any suggestions for a “green” powder to add to smoothies? I tried a few versions in the past but the taste wasn’t anything I liked or had much luck hiding, maybe they’re better now or I just tried the wrong ones.

1 Like

A good ingredient to help with the flavor of greens is to add lemon juice. At least helps me to add more greens then I would be able to otherwise.

With most fresh/frozen greens I’m fine using fruit, limes, or peanut butter for taste. But with the “greens” powders I’ve tried before, that didn’t work the way I wanted it to.