Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

Will update on the Ramp Test. I’ve long struggled with the Ramp Test, so I’m interested to see how it compares now I’ve already a number to work to.

One of the points of the FTP protocol is to be able to recognize how it feels (a key skill). Erg mode isn’t needed, just ride

(His Vo2 workouts shouldn’t be erg mode either IMO)

1 Like

In fact it has been done, and it is already in this topic:

Or like Eric has said - just simply ride and record it on the head unit. This protocol is not some magical thing - sit on the bike, and ride what you feel your FTP is.

1 Like

Assuming you’re using an indoor trainer, I would suggest simply toggling your cycling computer to “indoor” mode. Then, simply use the lap function to start your test interval after the warmup, and hit lap again when you’re done/exhausted. That should give you a solid, distinct segment which will spit out an average power and clock your TTE. As far as the different wattage levels and ramp at the end within the test interval, I would think you could just “eyeball” those time periods within the test lap.

Totally agree. One of the main benefits for me

Ramp Test this morning - 34 watts/ 12.8% lower! Wasn’t feeling the normal pressure, but the legs gave up before the breathing. Never got the cadence going - there’s always something for me with Ramp Tests that I come away unsatisfied.

Anyway, sticking with the Kolie Moore Protocol, and my current thinking is to just adjust TR FTP to the ramp test FTP for the VO2 Max workouts this block. I have been manually adjusting VO2 max down, but I might just go with the later.

Ah wow, 34W is quite a difference. If I do the same pair of tests I will let you know the result. Right there that tells you why testing protocols are a hot topic. I think your strategy is a sound one, KM for FTP training and the TrainerRoad one for VO2 max, with the caveat that you are taking notice of perceived effort.

One of the most consistent themes I see here and on the podcasts is the value of riding to perceived effort even if you have access to accurate power. As he says, threshold intervals (minimum duration 10 mins according to him) should be ‘doable’ and if you are fatiguing quickly you are probably over FTP. Using that idea alone you won’t be 34W out of the real value when doing threshold work especially after doing one of his test protocols.

As for VO2 max I think everyone agrees that it should be unpleasant! Good luck and thanks for posting.

1 Like

Kaweah was to be my Saturday workout (which is 5x10), but I was going to sub it for a Zwift race (which are pretty much threshold the whole way). I may do that tomorrow instead of Ebbetts. Not going to win the race anyway, so it doesn’t matter if that’s compromised! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi All

I’m thinking of trying the baseline test at the weekend. I struggle with the ramp test and always feel in between gears when doing the 20 min test.

My question is when the power ramps up after the first two phases how quickly does this happen?

Very slowly. So slow that it changes your ftp by 3-4 W. You can also ramp it yourself if you are feeling that you went too easy in the first part. Or you can not ramp at all if you feel your ftp pretty well and go all out TTE over the duration of the workout.

As jarsson said, slowly. I made one in the workout creator and set that portion to ramp at 1% of FTP every two minutes. Seemed to work for me but don’t worry about the exact number.

I might actually just do Lamarck, fits with life schedule rather than Kaweah.

Don’t miss the point here, however: this protocol shouldn’t really be done in erg mode. The point of it is to spend enough time riding at FTP that you learn what FTP feels like. As you get better at this, you won’t need a ramp at the end. Instead, you’ll spend the first ten minutes feeling out your FTP for that day (coming in with an informed “guess”, in most cases), and then the next 30-60min riding at that power to help determine TTE and validate that FTP. If you’ve really got that FTP point dialed, you’ll blow up pretty quickly once you hit the ramp at the end and try to elevate your power, especially if you’ve been at it for 40 or 60 minutes.

Example: my test next week, I intend to do the progression 1 version. I’ll enter with an assumed FTP of 280W (based on a 15-min MMP test from last week). I’ll start the first segment at around 270W, slowly increase to 280 over that first ten minutes, see how that feels. If I feel like I’m at MLSS, hold it as long as I can. If it’s too high, back off to 275, if it feels easy, try 285… I will probably get to the ramp, but if it goes like most of my tests, I’ll settle out at a good FTP feeling and get about 30s into trying to ramp things up.

7 Likes

Did Lamarck, successfully, at an appropriate RPE.

1 Like

Just a quick one on my experience of this test protocol - I tried i last year, went into it with previous Ramp Test number in mind, and scraped through to 35ish minutes which in hindsight was definitely over threshold.

Having done 3 tests now since starting training in October, I think I get it. The RPE, the mindset and funnily enough, quickly have the confidence in both the result and the ability to repeat it.

FYI I am training for TT’s so am doing it on the extensions, with TTE around 50 minutes which is target event time.

2 Likes

Isn’t this FTP test a self-fulfilling prophecy in a sense? I mean it sounds a bit like: “guesstimate” your FTP and then see how long you can hold it. But how do you know it is actually your FTP (MLSS) and not some other point in the 30-70min range of your PD curve?

2 Likes

You raise your effort level until you ‘feel’ your ftp. There’s a pretty distinct shift when you are right at/over FTP.

1 Like

Ok, personally I’m incapable of “feeling” my FTP… I mean I can feel the power I can hold for a certain duration - e.g. tell me to go all-out for 50min, I’ll normally do a pretty good and steady job at it, but I have no clue if this was my MLSS or not.

Edit: Maybe I just haven’t done sufficiently long all-out tests. I think the longest was actually 50min. Didn’t feel steady or sustainable at all XD.

Its a weird ceiling where if you go a little higher (say 10W) you just know you have 1 minute in you, but at that point it feels hard but sustainable. Also I won’t lie. Knowing my LTHR seems to help

This is why there is the progression. They are designed, when informed by a reasonably fed model, to get you close and let you learn where that edge is. Knowing how to ‘feel’ FTP is pretty useful.