Kolie Moore FTP test - Did I do it right?

Having done a ramp test a few weeks ago that gave me an FTP that made every single workout undoable. I decided to try a Kolie Moore FTP test. I’ve posted previously on how to complete it, but just wanted to check that I’d done it right and that I have the FTP estimate correct.

I used Resistance mode and have to play around with that to get to a % where I could sustain 200w or so at a workable cadence.

I found that at 2 points during the ramp I had to change gear as I couldn’t get the cadence high enough to keep power. I stuck to a cadence in the 85-98 range.

I think that the test has estimate my FTP at 220. I had to lower the intensity as well during the ramp, but I think that’s OK.

Here’s my link

I guess I just want reassurance that I’ve got the FTP right and that I was OK to change gears twice during the ramp and it wouldn’t have affected the result. I rode until I couldn’t go anymore and so just stopped the test.

Many thanks for your help. I do think that the FTP is far more realistic than the ramp test gave me.

Personally I like the idea of going a little longer than that to give a better reflection of FTP but that’s just the way I do things. Either way though, it’s just a guide to give you some numbers to train from.
You performed the test correctly though as KM provides a few different ways to estimate FTP and I actually like the method you’ve chosen. There’s no harm in changing gears either.

Did TR set your FTP @ 221 watts because if that’s the case both of those tests have given you a similar figure and if you’re already struggling to nail the workouts then it might be worth while reducing that number or looking further into why you’re failing the workouts.

1 Like

Many thanks for that confirmation that I did it right :+1:t2: The ramp test a few weeks ago gave me an FTP of 230 but I estimated it to be 220/1 based on what I was achieving workout wise. I was hoping this Kolie Moore would confirm the 220/1 figure :blush:

2 Likes

What I find strange that most people end up a TTE around 40’ and in Your case 35 minutes.
Of I ready correctly, the KM test is very helpfull when having a ballpark FTP number in mind.

For me a well performed FTP test, when you are rested is around 60 minutes (at least 50’). This will make that doing FTP interval training in a “fatigued” state is effective and doable

Using an FTP number which you can hold 35’ when rested wil give you FTP WO which will be very tough…

2 Likes

This was the first time I’d tried this test - I’m sure I could go for longer now I have a better expectation.

Why is resistance recommended over ERG? I felt that my HR was higher with the resistance setting and do prefer to use ERG. What difference would ERG make?

Up till this year, i did all workouts in ERG but switched to free ride in zwift. It learns you to pace and you really have to push mentally. I like it more because it ressembles more Riding on the road