Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

If you have barely survived 25 min this is definitely not your FTP. If workouts become rarher easy - this is how TR threshold and SS workouts suppose to be. Your real FTP can test with long, sustained intervals or workouts with around 60 min TiZ. Many TR workouts have rather short intervals and long brakes. Longer SST workouts like Galena with correct FTP suposed to be unconvinient at most. You will feel threshold with workouts like 3x15, 4x15, 3x20 etc.

3 Likes

For sure. I do not for a second think that my “FTP” from that test is my true 1-hr power. But what my actual true 1-hr power is not relevant for me. I am only interested in Enduro and XC racing, where I race on RPE & feel and never pace using power.

What I want feedback on is this:

1. I use “ramp test” FTP. I complete all my workouts, but they are hard.
    2, I use this still inflated number from the KM P1, the workouts are now easy.
  2. I test again, further lowering my FTP. The workout should become really easy

I do not have a coach. I will be using the low volume TR plans. Given all this. What number will give me the biggest gains? It would be great if I can significantly reduce my RPE and get the same results :slight_smile:

You might be better off going by the ramp test FTP, if that seems to set the TR workouts at the right level.

1 Like

After playing with these protocols, traditional 20min test, ramp…seems like I’m in the (minority?) of people where the estimated FTP of the 3 types of test are pretty close to each other. H

Bear in mind that most people who get close-enough results with the first FTP test they try don’t come on the forums looking for alternatives. The participants in this thread are somewhat self-selected.

4 Likes

Dunno, in 2017 I tested 8-min vs 20-min vs 60-min and they were all aligned. Then I tested ramp and it was aligned with longer tests, and then it wasn’t, and then it was. So the ramp test is hit or miss. I won’t recap the reasons, it just is.

Beyond that, its my personal opinion that:

• longer tests are better for a lot of reasons
  • you don’t need to test every 4 weeks - at my 220-260W FTP minor 3-5W bumps up/down are just noise
5 Likes

The kolie moore and ramp do give me fairly similar results too (within 5W)…however I like the Kolie moore test more as a) It’s a really good workout in itself and b) gives LOT of confidence to KNOW you can hold that power level for 40+ mins (instead of just hoping you can with ramp test).

3 Likes

My two test were only 3W apart. I don’t think it’s rare that they agree, there’s a reason TR settled on the ramp test, it works for a large amount of people with “non-outlier” fitness (not extremely aerobic or extremely anaerobic).

1 Like

Maybe unrelated, but competition and or demanding group rides…in general, a variety of settings to test your limits is very useful. I do 99.9% of my riding alone, so I’m lacking in that aspect.

The other day there were two guys on the road going somewhat fast, I decide to join their train, there was some wind against us and they were taking turns pulling. I decided to collaborate + the competitive juices led me to put some crazy numbers that I didn’t think were in the cards for a rider at my stage of development.

Mr. Moore doesn’t seem to agree with this when he writes:

While this may provide an accurate FTP for about 50 to 60 percent of the population, it doesn’t hold true for a large number of athletes.

2 Likes

50 - 60% is a large number!

2 Likes

Bear in mind that the workout/text has nothing to do with Kolie Moore, it started out as a workout I knocked up for myself to give some idea of the structure, then people wanted to use it so I shared it and made all the variations (and some extra ones!). At the time we were trying to work out how long you’d need to go to have a ‘real’ number, and the general consensus was ‘at least 25 minutes, otherwise you’re just doing a 20 minute test!’

In other news, happy with this one from earlier - finally got the hang of pacing and used a judgement call to ignore the ramp as I could tell I was right on the edge - best TTE I’ve ever managed on one of these :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

FWIW if you develop a feel for riding at threshold AND ride on the trainer… then do SS/threshold in resistance (not Erg) and you can gauge current fitness without a formal test. Ditto for riding outside. When I’m ready to re-test becomes obvious after a couple threshold (or SS) sessions in a row start pushing over currently set FTP.

I might be reading the program wrong, but it looks like you’ve only selected part of your effort. The FTP number is the average including the 10 minutes before the 25 you chose.

Yes I see what I did wrong now

You take the average for the whole TEST interval, you do NOT include the warm up

2 Likes

Ah yes, correct, I need to have another swipe across the screen, thanks.

Per the TP info:

That seems to me to be the entire main set, with the progressions as well:

1 Like

Yes. TBH I stopped as soon as I had done 25 mins more or less, I wasn’t especially after a definitive figure, I’ll do it again one day when I’m more rested. Given my error I averaged 239W for 35 mins which is probably the duration from the start of the main test.

As per previous advice I’ve received I’ll knock down my FTP value before I start and aim for a longer TTE.

That’s a good start. In a day or two try the progression 2 and just see how long you can hold that 239, you might find your TTE is a bit longer.