🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Decay rates are currently part of Adaptive Training! After a break your Progression Levels currently decline so a return to training is more appropriately tuned to your fitness.

14 Likes

I think all this is pretty frustrating… very exciting to hear the new features but then nothing changes. I actually stopped my current plan waiting for adapted…somehow it killed the motivation to do the “old” stuff.
Maybe it is just me, but I think I would have preferred that they wait with the announcement until people can actually use it…well I do some more Zwift then for the time being :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s fantastic.

Is it just the Progression Levels that ease or does it recommend a new lower FTP as well?

First post and very excited for adaptive training. I stopped using Trainer Road a few years ago when I stopped cycling, but COVID (and Zwift) brought me back to the fold :blush:. Last year was mainly unstructured riding on Zwift. I caught COVID at the end of last year, and made a personal commitment to use structured training to regain fitness - the timing of this could not have been more perfect (even if I’m not in the beta yet).

My question regards sleep, HRV, RHR, BP, and other metrics. I have been tracking these via Oura ring and other devices. I know that adaptive training does not include these but may in the future. I am willing to start manually recording them somewhere in TR so that the data science team can start to collect these metrics. Where would be the best place to record them for the time being?

1 Like

Don’t know but here are some other candidates:

I’m pretty excited for AT and it was a great podcast. However I will happily wait weeks for this feature to allow the TR team to get it right. This is one of the things I like about TR, simple, clean and it just works. :+1:

It’s not as though they’ve pulled the current plans.

9 Likes

I think y’all vastly overestimate the weight that TR puts on some random YouTuber doing a half-assed hit piece. Will they address it at some point? Probably, if only because of the hullaballo on the forum. But are they going to make major strategic business decisions because of it? Not likely.

1 Like

Oh man, this wait is not good for my mental health.

There have a few questions about volume choice.

To truly understand volume we need the survey response data (and maybe more). We don’t know why you stopped training or stop a workout at the moment. We also want to try out HRV, resting HR, etc to help gauge chronic fatigue.

Our system does predict that some people will do better on lower volume than higher volume but that’s not in the beta and currently internal only (but we’re working on it).

We do understand that we have a problem with people picking training plan volumes that are too high for them. We don’t have enough “guard rails” around training plan volume choice.

We also need smaller steps between plans and we’ll announce something very soon on the podcast about this.

AT also changes the intensity that you “feel” in a plan because of the level system. So a mid-volume plan could feel easier to you but lead to bigger gains if you were getting buried by it before.

22 Likes

You will get credit for the custom workout. I believe that’s not in yet but will be before AT launches for everyone.

There are no plans for custom workouts to show up in TrainNow or AT recommended workouts.

5 Likes

Exactly! FTP isn’t everything, and it’s what level you are at in a different zone that makes it the best.

This isn’t built yet, but I suspect that we should make it so that you have a very high anaerobic level in crit races would be super beneficial.

6 Likes

I do ~50% of my TR training with my Stages power meter on rollers (or outdoors) and ~50% on my Wahoo Kickr. They have a known 6% offset to one-another (Kickr reads ~6% higher).

Will AT attach your different specific sensors to different workouts to be able account for these offsets? This definitely becomes important with workouts like over/unders.

Thanks!

There are lots of questions about when someone will be in the beta.

Here are the considerations for every time we bring in more people:

1. Are there any show stopping bugs?
  2. Are there any heavy confusion points?
  3. Are there any performance issues?

The current beta group has found #1 and #2 and we’re fixing them. We’ll release those and wait a couple days for feedback. If we get nothing, we’ll let the next group in.

We’ll then repeat that until we just let everyone in at once.

It usually starts off slow then accelerates quickly.

The GOOD news is that we’re going to release parts of AT to everyone. It’s an aggressive timeline and we understand that everyone wants this out ASAP.

37 Likes

Yes, you can still customize your training plan.

8 Likes

Chad, I just listened to the podcast and I’m completely confused, I know to get the full benefit you have to be in the beta program, but if you have an account and you’re in the middle of a training plan, is there anything new that they have rolled out with adaptive? Or is it all or nothing

I tried searching but cannot find an answer- is there a way you can use two power sources and the ML knows which one and adjusts zones etc? EG power meter outdoors, smart trainer indoors, 3/4% difference.

Right now, the only “new” thing that is available to everyone is the new TrainNow feature.

It is possible to use, if you are on any of the beta versions of the apps (Win/Mac/iOs/Android) through the “Workouts” tab.

• Notably, this tool is meant largely for people NOT following a training plan. Giving the freedom to pick and choose workouts with a bit more direction than randomly searching the large workout library.

• But it can also be used to supplement a plan (like adding work to a Low Volume Plan) or to find an alternate workout if you don’t like what is on the schedule.

That’s if for now.

6 Likes

I did a new workout for me tonight, Nightcap -1. Boy it was tough and I was exhausted come the end but in my eyes I passed it. I’d love to know what the new AT system would think though - despite being on a Wahoo Kickr (in erg mode) and using the new powermatch (iOS Beta, but not AT Beta) my power does seem to fluctuate considerably, to the point where I’m not sure what ML would make of it.

I say this because it’s flagged as a Threshold workout but only 29% of the ride was in that zone. Each of the 4 intervals contained a reasonable amount of time in sweetspot (12%) or VO2Max zones (13%). It’s as if my trainer compensates for the sweetspot work being under threshold target by then pushing me into VO2Max to ensure the overall interval average is on target. Anyone else see this type of fluctuation and is it an indication of poor form on my part? I do turn off power smoothing.

I wouldn’t worry about it. If your FTP were 400 watts, 3/4% is 3 watts.

If you are concerned about it, use Power Match (assuming you use the same bike indoors and outside).

1 Like

Good update @Nate_Pearson, thank you.