šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ Group Workouts are here! šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰ šŸŽ‰

Hey everyone,

BIG NEWS, and everyone here at TrainerRoad is so excited to share!

Group Workouts are here!

You can checkout the live stream announcement with Jonathan, Nate & DC Rainmaker on YouTube.

TrainerRoadā€™s new Group Workouts feature, available for Mac and PC, helps you and your friends reach your goals and get faster together. Five athletes can train together. You and four of your friends can do the same workout while sharing voice, video, and data to have a built-in support system and extra motivation to nail your workouts.

Weā€™ve worked hard to get this feature out on a quick timeline to help everybody during this time period of social distancing, and as a result, will be continuously updating Group Workouts with new features.

How it Works
Getting started is simple!

1. Update your TrainerRoad Mac or PC app to the latest version.
  2. Go to the Group Workouts tab of the app.
  3. Select ā€œBrowse Workoutsā€.
  4. Find the workout you want to do and select ā€œGroup Workoutā€
  5. Copy the ride code and share it with your friends.

Once your friends have the code, they can join your Group Workout from the Group Workouts tab.

During the workout, everybody will be able to share voice and video to chat and encourage each other while doing the same workout at the same time, all adjusted to their individual fitness levels (FTP).

The workout can be paused at any point by the host and each person can adjust the intensity of their own workout.

Questions?
We know there will be plenty of questions, but here are some ones we think we can get out of the way first:

Can I do a different workout than my friends?
No, but this is a feature we plan to add down the road.

Can I join a group workout just to observe or cheer a friend on?
If they have a TrainerRoad account, they are welcome to join just to spectate. If they do join, they will still be doing a workout, so if they arenā€™t riding, it will show that they did a workout with no power data. They can delete this workout in their career at any point after the workout.

How many people can I train with?
Up to 4, for now. There can be 5 total people in a room.

Can non-TrainerRoad subscribers join a group workout?
No.

How do I invite somebody to my workout?
Share the group workout code with them.

I canā€™t see or hear the other people in the group workout. What do I do?
Enable your camera and your microphone

My microphone has a lot of wind noise from my fan. How do I quiet it down?
Make sure the microphone input is selected to the built-in microphone of your laptop or computer and that the fan is pointing at you instead of the computer.

Can I do a ramp test?
No, but this is a feature we plan to add down the road.

What if I train on a Mac and my friendā€™s on Windows?
No problem! Group Workouts is a cross-platform experience for Mac and Windows

Will this work on mobile apps?
No. As of now, this is just a Mac and Windows app feature

Is there a minimum age requirement?
Athletes must be at least 13 years old to join a group workout.

69 Likes

I feel like the WWDD riders over the last few years had a part in thisšŸ˜€ Chapeau, TR!

13 Likes

This is incredible, you guys. I never expected audio/video support. Amazing.

Bummed itā€™s not on mobile, but I also totally understand the logistics of adding something like that. Hopefully someday!

9 Likes

So AWESOME!!! Got to give this a :heart: Great job @Nate_Pearson @Bryce @chad and TR teams.

9 Likes

Great, now I have to wear a jersey inside! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Serious actually :neutral_face:

Looking forward to seeing how this rolls out!

21 Likes

I am so in awe of what you guys are doing, this is incredible, so good, I love it

5 Likes

Very cool - anyone wanna do Rogers +5 with me around 5 or 5:15 AM Eastern time tomorrow?

Edit: Since @mcneese.chad has now created the official thread, hereā€™s a link to the post with this ride over there

4 Likes

Link to the main Sharing thread:

3 Likes

this is awesome. unfortunately i donā€™t have any friends who use trainerroad. maybe we can start creating something like workout clubs and train together with people from all over the world. iā€™d be totally in!

12 Likes

Sorry if this is already answered elsewhere, but what if one of the riders needs to take a backpedal break?

Does this work for custom workouts or modified TR library workouts?

This thread is meant for sharing, so people can freely post links to their planned workouts.

You can ā€œfind friendsā€ anytime, is the idea for now.

1 Like

No custom workouts (or ramp test) for now. That will change in the future to include both.

2 Likes

What I would love is an instructor-led TR workout, with curated music and discussion. This would make me want to do the workouts so much more. A ā€œPelotonā€ experience, but with the structured training of TR. I always get bored of my music and entertainment, and having someone there to motivate me would get me through some tough workouts.

This feature is so closeā€¦but I canā€™t see the same benefit when itā€™s just me and my friends. For example, I donā€™t see myself talking very much during high intensity workouts. Hereā€™s hoping that itā€™s groundwork for more!

8 Likes

Patents owned by Peloton will prevent ā€œclassesā€ as such in TR.

2 Likes

That is so lame, hopefully they can find a way around it.

2 Likes

I suspect people will feel real motivation when seeing others holding and pushing in the hard parts. You can chat in the down recoveries, and discuss motivation and planning for the other parts of the workout. There is some real ā€œpushā€ that comes from knowing others are enduring the same pain. A bit like holding that power you donā€™t think you can to the sign sprint or other targets when rolling outside.

5 Likes

Brilliant! Big thanks for adding this socially connecting feature during this time of social distance. You make us faster and more emotionally healthy.

3 Likes

Yes. Lets do it. Can you create the workout and send the code? Iā€™m Bryan

2 Likes