🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Hello TR community,

I had requested access to the AT beta (all be it 1 day after announcing it) and do not seem to have access yet. Has the roll out been slow? or did I mess something up when applying?

I cannot wait to try this feature out!

Latest vlog for week 4 of SSB1 using adaptive training

3 Likes

Yes it has been slow, check the first post of this thread for updates.

1 Like

Slow is an understatement hahaha

7 Likes

They wont be adding more users until they’ve got the major bugs sorted apparently. I wouldn’t be in too much of a rush to be in as some of the issues are a bit frustrating.

They obviously released it under pressure after the you know who video TR critique was released and it was far from ready.

3 Likes

There is only three energy systems :wink: Endurance and Tempo are predominantly the same one… double :wink::smiley:

Sorry, energy systems for the purpose of progression levels. They are separate but related in the AT progression level system, and generally speaking, finding an alternate for a tempo workout will only give you tempo, not endurance. I’d rather not get into all the LT1 and LT2 debate stuff here. Plenty of other threads for that.

FWIW I think it is more correct to say Adaptive Training supports progressing power zones.

I was always taught you have 3 energy systems:

• short bursty energy from PCr, for efforts 1-15 seconds
  • glycolytic / quick energy for hard (all-out for ~30-120 seconds) and medium efforts
  • aerobic / oxidative energy for easy&medium efforts (mixed fuel ratio of fat:carbs depending on effort)

You don’t need to debate anything about LT1/LT2.

Adaptive Training assigns levels/ratings to workouts targeting Coggan classic power zones:

to help each rider workout at a suitable level, and then progressing workouts in support of the principles of progressive overload.

Go search this blog post on Adaptive Training: Introducing Adaptive Training: The Right Workout, Every Time. - TrainerRoad Blog and you won’t find TR writing “energy system” in the main post.

1 Like

Continental drift is slow… This rollout is on another level entirely, excruciating :grin:

Sorry, couldn’t resist poking a bit of fun of the team while waiting for the workout levels release :smiley:

5 Likes

Seeing A LOT of adaptations.
Woke up this morning, adaptations pending for my workouts since I skipped my workout yesterday - no problem.
Rode Taylor -1, marked it easy, got more adaptations, except they weren’t for the vo2 workouts but the threshold ones (AT made them easier). Accepted them, showered, refueled.
Logged back onto the career page to look at workout from earlier. More adaptations pending - again to the threshold workouts, again AT suggesting easier ones. Strangely, it doesn’t seem to be changing anything this week though. For reference, current Threshold progression level is 3.7.

Interesting. Will be curious to see if it prompts some adaptations to VO2 down the line further. It’s almost as if it’s trying to allow you to focus on increasing your VO2 level, but I suspect I’m also being optimistic/overestimating its ability at this current stage.

:tada: :tada: :tada: :tada: Closed Beta! Adaptive Training :tada: :tada: :tada: :tada:

:tada: :tada: :tada: :tada: Change the freaking title already.
I’ve no doubt it’s coming.

2 Likes

Fair. Although I could have sworn they used the term energy system in the podcast about AT to refer to the levels, context matters to the language used. While I think some people understand what I ultimately meant, the term “energy system” is loaded (quite heavily in this forum especially), and I should suspect that it would be understood in the way you present it. Failure of communication on my part in that post.

I’m glad I like the normal planbuilder. Seems like a lot of stuff to work out for AT. :frowning:

I thought they used the term on the podcast as well. Confusing.

1 Like

Nate said it over and over again. Amber and Chad cringed every single time and corrected him at least once.

Mike

1 Like

So it turns out the system is too clever for its own good (or rather mine).

The newer “Workout Alternates” feature is designed to make the alternative workouts more responsive and effective for every athlete. Using the power of Adaptive Training, “Workout Alternates” take more factors into account when classifying workouts, capturing the subtle differences and similarities between workouts. This provides workout alternates that better match the original workout.

In some cases, this means that previous workouts built for “Workout Variants”, such as Cumberland and Cumberland -1, aren’t included in each other’s “Workout Alternates” list.

Although it’s not possible to describe the exact inner workings of the system, you’ll notice that although Cumberland and Cumberland -1 share the same name and have similarities in terms of duration, intensity etc., Cumberland -1 is effectively four interval blocks separated by 3x30-second recoveries, whereas Cumberland is a continuous block. As a result, Cumberland isn’t included within the alternates for Cumberland -1.

You may notice this with some other workouts with +/- versions, but rest assured that the newer “Workout Alternates” should more closely resemble the intended training adaptation of the original workout, providing you with more effective workouts for your goals.

That’s all well and good, but it leaves me not being able to schedule an appropriate workout that fits the time I have / difficulty I can achieve. It’ll either be far easier than intended, or I’ll end up needing to do an hour and 45 mins rather than my scheduled hour and 15 mins. I can just add in the session I want to do, but then Adaptive Training will ignore it as it’s not part of my training plan.

I guess I can only hope that eventually they either have AT take account of non plan rides, or that they allow another mechanism for substituting plan workouts (like with a search rather than just the stuff in the dropdown).

Unrelated to that, if anyone wants to see the modifications to a new plan stage after a few weeks of using Adaptive Training, you can see in the (huge) image below…

VO2max stuff makes sense on the whole. Couple of changes are a touch confusing as it’s made increases at the start of the month, and then decreased at the end… I guess I’ll just have to ride them and see what it does then.

I’m starting to get the feeling that they might need to create a few more workouts to fit their need for more specific alternates though.

Edit - Roan High +3 (10.0) to Venato +2 (7.9) is particularly strange given the weeks before have all been increases (and that’s not a rest week).

Edit - Very odd. I loaded my calendar up and it wanted to do another round of adaptations, only two changes though and I declined them.

2 Likes

Even if it isn’t in the plan, it should still count toward the progression levels. Isn’t that what happens with TrainNow? I don’t understand how you choosing the workout would be any different than if TrainNow did. Worth giving it a try and seeing how AT responds imo.