Intervals.icu hitting Strava rate limits - big consequences for TR users!

On the Zwift website, if you look at an activity and click that gear icon near the top:

…it opens a modal with an option to download the FIT file:

3 Likes

This was the conclusion I came to as well. Strava sure is shooting themselves in the foot lately. Either way, intervals.icu deserves the money more than Strava.

6 Likes

Hmm, this looks easy enough, but paying supporting the sight seem like the best option, and even easier! Thanks for showing how to do it.

1 Like

Dropbox sync from TR to intervals works very well, but you miss key data that TR does not record like L/R balance, HRV data etc… As a result, i dual record with my Garmin head unit

Just swapped STRAVA sub for Intervals sub,…and saved a few bucks per year…

4 Likes

+1

The idea of using Strava as a data hub kinda loses it’s meaning when they take such measures. I am also thinking about how to minimize dependency on Strava and perhaps ditching the premium sub.

2 Likes

Stating the obvious, but ICU is quite cheap for what they do. They have a strong product and a strong case for $upport. That said, cutting steps out of the equation can only be a good thing. My only sources of data are TR and Garmin, so I might try the Dropbox solution too. Hopefully one day ICU can connect to TR.

1 Like

Can someone clarify if Garmin Connect does or does not work? Seems like there are several of both “it does” and “it does not” comments.

It seems to be pretty easy on a computer to download the Garmin fit file and then upload to ICU or am I missing something?

For me at least this wouldn’t be a big deal because I am often in Garmin connect deleting duplicate TR and Zwift rides.

So It would go…

TR–>Garmin–>person downloads fit file from Garmin–>person uploads fit file to ICU

Would using Dropbox be easier IE automated?

Here’s my setup:
Outdoor rides I record on an Edge 1030 Plus.
Once finished, GarminConnect does two things:

it syncs it to TR
it syncs it to Intervals.icu.

Indoor rides I record on TR (using my phone)
Once complete, TR does two things:

It syncs with GarminConnect
It syncs with Dropbox, which in turn syncs with Intervals.icu

This is all automatic and seamless after the initial linking of all accounts

3 Likes

GarminConnect does not work as a portal for syncing TR data to intervals.icu
You will have to use Dropbox or Strava to sync data from TR to Intervals.

1 Like

Thanks, just set up an account and linked them. I will see how it goes this evening when I do a ride. I am happy to keep Strava out of this as I am slowly disentangling myself from my Strava reliance.

Strava seems to be approaching the “find out” stage if they are increasing risk/providing incentive for reliant services to bypass their systems.

5 Likes

I’m confused and a complete tech idiot. I have accounts with TR (paid and syncd w/ strava), strava (not paid and syncd with intervals.icu), Intervals.icu (currently unpaid). Today I did a TR workout (indoor) on my Wahoo SNAP collecting data only on the TR app (iOS) and after my workout my training data found its way to Intervals.icu . From what I thought was happening I expected my TR workout to NOT show up in interval.icu because of changes at Strava. My understanding was that historically TR pushed to Strava pushed to Intervals.icu and as of today TR still pushed to Strava but that strava would no longer push data to Intervals.icu for non paying accounts and thus something else (like dropbox) would be needed to send workout data from TR to eventually intervals.icu. What am I missing? How did my TR data end up on intervals.icu?

The change isn’t in effect yet, David said in the thread over in the intervals.icu forum that it’ll happen later this week.

2 Likes

He also said there will be a transition period, so maybe a few weeks. Just mentioning it so the same question doesn’t get asked again next Monday.

1 Like

I paid for intervals for a long time and was an advocate who sent a lot of folks his way. A year or two ago I tried a different training platform that is TP based, and I prefer their workout builder and library, so I’ve stuck with it. I currently don’t use Intervals for anything but a repository in case I go back. If you do regularly use intervals, I strongly urge you to pay David for his excellent work. He’s only asking for $4 a month.

4 Likes

For wahoo users you can download or e-mail the fit file from the wahoo app for any outdoor ride and upload manually to intervals.icu

And for your indoor TR workouts you can download the fit file from the website and manually upload as well.

It’s clunky, but it’s a way around strava (I am cancelling my strava paid sub, and going to get off completely as it has turned into social media and I would like to completely rid myself of reliance on it).

• Is that really necessary?

• I see a Wahoo connection option in the Settings, but I admit that I don’t have it connected at the moment. Anyone know if that setup is all that is needed or is the extra manual option mentioned above required?

2 Likes

Didn’t even notice that…

Will give that a whirl

Thanks @mcneese.chad

1 Like