Hitting a brick wall at Build

I’m tempted to suggest that you do go back to base as that was a mighty jump in FTP.

For your two ‘reduced intensity’ rides, did you reduce by the same amount?

I’m also noting from your rides that you finished over under intervals, which leads me to believe that you might have a correctly targeted FTP. However, because you’re new to cycling and training you have not done high end efforts at this new FTP. You’re failing with your anerobic work.

The good news is that your anerobic system trains itself up quicker than the aerobic system. So, if you keep trying your best at these workouts you’ll be able to get more intervals completed. Another thing to keep in mind, is that of course it feels good to finish workouts, but you might be getting the training adaptation from these workouts by doing only a portion of the work.

Specifically for workouts like baseful +2. If you can’t finish the first set perfectly, hang out on the bike and ride through the recovery sections and try to do the next set. You can either skip ahead through the workout or get off the bike and do a light stretch while you’re app goes through the VO2 intervals. Then keep trying. I absolutely think that you would have gotten what you were looking for if you could have done a few more of those intervals.

2 Likes