๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰ Group Workouts are here! ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰

No idea on timing. They have not, and do not usually share planned timelines outside the TR walls.

I drafted a workaround that I plan to test soon, for doing different workouts (to include custom and even the Ramp Test). Check it out, and if you have 2 compatible devices, you may be able to try it.

I may even be able to test tonight, and will report back.

I might try to setup my old Xbox 360 connect camera and see if that works.

1 Like

I have the Logitech HD C920. Anything similar should work fine. They offer a number of other models too.

Iโ€™ve not tried, but I think you can use an action camera like a GoPro as well, so if you have one around, Iโ€™d try that first.

Never done any shared workout / Zwift or similar and had no real interest in doing so.

Howeverโ€ฆbased on some of the feedback here I might have to get a webcam and try one. :wink:

2 Likes

So, @mcneese.chad, theoretically everyone in the group workout could be doing a ramp test with none doing the actual scheduled workout? It would just require everyone having a second, unpaired device to setup the group.

That is my thought, Ramp Test included.

I even considered the option of loading one of the โ€œFree Rideโ€ workouts, so there are no possible power instructions sent to the trainers, even if they are accidentally connected. That may be more โ€œfool proofโ€, assuming that everyone is doing the hack and not relying on the GW for a workout.

At that point, I am effectively cheating and just using the TR app for GW as a chat app only. Which then begs the question of why? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think itโ€™s most likely that some riders could share a base workout, but this allows 1 or more others to join for chat, even if their workout for the day is different.

2 Likes

Brilliant. This could lead to some brutal workouts depending on the motivation factor from a group ramp test though :rofl:

oops, not sure why it quoted that post. . . meant to reply to your most recent comment about the free ride hack.

1 Like

Did you run voice through your headphones or through the PC?

Trainer Road Group Workout audio output device was the Bluetooth headphones. Audio input was different.

Just wanted to say that this was perfect this morning. Flawless video/audio. Was quite fun to chat during rest intervals. Well done TrainerRoad team!!!

Feature request for more awesomeness-
A built in โ€œTeamโ€ calendar where you can better coordinate with friends or teammates to โ€˜syncโ€™ up training plans or workouts.

3 Likes

Just got done with a workout with @MGS and @GregElwell and worked flawlessly. Did baxter -1 and then added 15 min cool down.

I used my bose soundsports for the mic and sound and works awesome. @UKCarl definitely try it out and I think you will like it.

3 Likes

There seems to have been a run on all the webcams in town and amazon given the recent work from home crisis.

1 Like

I was seeing that as well. Seems they bumped in price to double in some cases. It looks like action cameras like the GoPro can be used, as well as some phones based on a few comments I read yesterday. So there may be some other solutions with existing gear, depending on what you have on hand already.

Gopro requires a ~$150 dongle to make it workโ€ฆso youโ€™re better off just buying a regular webcam for $40 when the madness dies down.
Oh well, i may have to steal my cellmateโ€™s macbook to give a group workout a try

1 Like

Copy that. I havenโ€™t dug into the GP setup. I was hoping it would be as simple as using the charge/data cable direct from the camera into USB, but that seems to not be a solution. Bummer.

How long are the codes good for , when do they expire?

They never expire. In fact, you can reuse them when you are repeating the same workout, at any time of day. It is more a workout code than anything else.

Hey Eric - thanks for setting Jochen and I up for the Baxter workout. It was great - the sound and pictures were fine, but having company is a real boost. I think its going to be huge for my motivation! Although my opportunities to procrastinate before rides are evaporatingโ€ฆ

4 Likes

Haha and it was great. Thanks for joining and looking forward to many more.

1 Like

They can use it.

2 Likes