Getting On Track

Most people here have better discipline than I have had. My cycling career has been very up and down…usually a couple months of good training and then work travel or a vacation messes it up for a few months. I thought COVID would be a great opportunity to train more consistently but I’ve had the same up and down results. Unfortunately the weight has only gone up…

I’m trying to follow plan builder starting with SSBI or a morning bike ride outside and run on the treadmill for 20-30 min and a short WOD. The diet hasn’t been great as well. I’ve previously used RP with success and plan on giving that a go again. I live in AZ and the heat has become a factor and…and…and…

I’d love to hear advice on how to be better accountable from you. I’m going to start a fitness and gratitude journal. I’m also considering starting an accountability blog. Has anyone else done this and do you have any advice?

I am 6’6" and currently at 225lbs with an FTP of 232w putting me at 2.27 w/kg. I previously was at 210lbs with an FTP of 255w which was 2.88 w/kg. I know this isn’t as high as many around here but I’d like to get back to where I was, and better. Oh and I turn 40 tomorrow…I am going to make 40 the best year of fitness of my life.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Thank you

1 Like

I started an accountability blog here if you’re interested to see my progress

4 Likes

Hi.
To get motivation to train usually starts with… What is my Goal? if you are training to loose weight ? are you training to be fitter? The one you hear a lot about is I have a Race planned 6 months from now.
I am normally well motivated having about 6 to 8 events a year… Not Races. I do Audax events so long distance 200Km +. With all events cancelled, I chose to get a higher FTP as the Goal and lower weight for the end of year… I have Hit the FTP target 250 watts in the middle of year and lost 7 kg… 6kg’s still to go. I have hit a little wall …what goal now… It Looks like Audax will start In August …So MoJo back.
Look for a realistic Goal… Not aiming for the moon… Baby steps. and be prepared for set backs and slips on the way. It is about learning what your body can handle.

The main thing is have fun and enjoy it (Well VO2 max efforts and Ramp tests do not count as fun)

2 Likes

Good luck with improving consistency, I can totally relate to your predicament - everytime I decide to refocus on training something (normally work or illness) comes along to derail me. Luckily my off-the-couch FTP is around 230w @78-80kg(ish) so when I (occasionally) ride with buddies I can just about hang.

There is a whole thread here with blogs, hopefully they might help!

3 Likes

This is exactly what I did and it was a great way of keeping myself accountable. I stopped blogging once I’d got back in the training habit but I’ve decided to start up again.

Group workouts would probably be a pretty good motivator as well, though I’ve not tried them yet.

A goal is what I need, regardless of what it is just something to aim for.

Since there’s no racing, and if I’m being brutally truthful I’m never going to be a good racer, my goal this year is a bike packing adventure which is just good fitness. Once I have the endpoint that can be broken down into steps/sub-goals:

• Build a big base for chugging along
  • Plan routes
  • Sort out bags/kit
  • Get used to riding not on roads/on light trails

The sub-goals of planning and practising keep my motivation up when slogging through the base workouts.

Need to remember man didn’t get to the moon by just flying there, we built a rocket, orbited the earth, then got there. Everything builds to the big goal.

2 Likes

Whenever I’m interrupted by life, the first thing I concentrate on is the scheduling. Finding the time can be hard with two careers in the house, 2.3 kids, a. dog etc… I’ve got some custom workouts that require virtually no motivation to complete - the only hard part might be getting started… I call them routine builders and they’re just blocks of z2 spinning. I try to find a way to get at least two or three in during the week and one on the weekend… All I have to do is show up and spin and I chalk that up as a victory. The routines tend to build on themselves. Then I ease into the intervals in my already predictable and established time slots.

As far as weight, [6-3, 193], I try not to worry about it, as long as the calories I’m getting aren’t too heavy on the fermented and or distilled variety. Focus on the process and the performance… You’re not climbing Mt. Lemmon for the win.

Are you trying to do too much too soon? It reads like you’re biking & running & doing a WOD. You might benefit from doing less until you’re training consistently, and then adding more volume.

Oh, and happy birthday!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I need to find a goal between - hit 3.0w/kg and workout 3 times a week…which is hard with no events…maybe the 3.0 isn’t the moon, it just feels like it some times

2 Likes
  • See the short video below about discipline over motivation. When motivation is high things are great, its when motivation is low that it is more problematic.

• Reduce decision making and when you make decisions do it when you have the energy to make the right choices. For example, I leave my bike on the trainer, I have a bottle in the fridge, I have my kit set out at night, even instant coffee (gasp!) is dry prepped the night before. When I wake up I don’t have to make any decisions about getting those things ready and it is just a matter of put on kit, boil water (already in the kettle), hop on bike. Don’t go grocery shopping hungry, etc.

• Structure your environment for success. If there are trigger foods that lead to overeating, get them out of the house and make sure your family supports you. Establish a ride schedule and make sure everyone is on board that it is your time and something you need to do to be healthy and happy. If there are things you know you can use as excuses not to do what you know you need to do, figure out a strategy to mitigate or remove those things. For example, setting up your trainer and putting your bike on the trainer require effort you might not want to do before 0-dark thirty in the morning. Set your trainer and bike up the night before or keep them set up.

• Make habits. Over time establish habits that support your dietary and exercise goals. That could be establishing a schedule, riding as soon as you get up, riding as soon as you get home, etc. That could be eating a salad before dinner. That could be riding indoors during the week and outside on the weekends. This could be riding every day instead of 3-5 days a week and shifting things around. But you can focus on one small change at a time, establish and re-enforce those behaviors and then add another small change. Eventually they all add up to big changes.